"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #1971
Chef Extraordinaire

TL, thanks for linking to the podcasts. There are also apps for Android on that page. I don't know why the title just says iEverything.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #1972
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Is there one for someone who doesn't have an i-anything? I am very susceptible to nightmares, thought I had them under control for many years. Was horrible when I was a kid.

I do not have an i-anything. I have a Tracfone, not an iphone. I have a Nook tablet and an android tablet, no ipad. I have 2 mp3 players but they are not ipods. We are very behind in the times PF.

I have very, very strange dreams...so strange I don't ever tell anyone about them. But they are not usually nightmares. I don't know where the stuff in my dreams comes from.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #1973
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I do not have an i-anything. I have a Tracfone, not an iphone. I have a Nook tablet and an android tablet, no ipad. I have 2 mp3 players but they are not ipods. We are very behind in the times PF.

I have very, very strange dreams...so strange I don't ever tell anyone about them. But they are not usually nightmares. I don't know where the stuff in my dreams comes from.
I don't have an iAnything either, but that doesn't make me behind the times! Actually, I have an old iPod Touch, but I don't use it anymore because have an Android phone and an Android tablet, both of which have free podcast apps. I don't need a Nook or Kindle because I have the free apps on my phone and tablet. As a former web technologies manager, I feel quite up-to-date technically
Old 10-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #1974
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post

No nightmares last night...at least nothing that scared me.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #1975
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping, that Shrek will get some confidence and go mall-walking with me. He can stop anytime and watch me lap him several times. He really needs to get up and get moving.
A number of the residents here have them. They take them everywhere with them. The halls here are very long. For the residents who are down the southern end from the elevators, it is a loooong walk. Without that walker they would be stuck in their apartments or risk taking the stairs down to the first level. If you should decide to get one for him, hide his cane. Make sure you get the one with the brakes on both handles. And I am sure you know Medicare pays for 80% of the cost. That is what the deciding factor was for the residents here. A lot of them thought they had to pay for it. (I wish they would read that book they get each year.)

I have to laugh at the most hated person here. She get just a pension from the city and is not covered at all by SS. And her pension doesn't give her the same benefits. In fact her pension doesn't give her anything except her check. She is so ticked off all the time when she hears of all the things that are covered by Medicare. Inside I am laughing at her all the time. She has to pay the full premium for her medical insurance. Had she worked for the state, she would have medical coverage. Her check combined with her husband's SS income, puts her over the limit for Medicaid to pay her premium. She had to pay completely for her four wheel walker with the seat.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #1976
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Is there one for someone who doesn't have an i-anything? I am very susceptible to nightmares, thought I had them under control for many years. Was horrible when I was a kid.
I don't have an I-anything. Just my free phone for the elderly. Not even a landline.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #1977
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't have an iAnything either, but that doesn't make me behind the times! Actually, I have an old iPod Touch, but I don't use it anymore because have an Android phone and an Android tablet, both of which have free podcast apps. I don't need a Nook or Kindle because I have the free apps on my phone and tablet. As a former web technologies manager, I feel quite up-to-date technically
I only have an old i-Phone, that I don't use. I have an Android phone and Stirling has an Android tablet and a regular cell phone. I would love to get an Android tablet, but I just can't justify it. There's not much that a tablet would do that my phone doesn't do.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #1978
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I only have an old i-Phone, that I don't use. I have an Android phone and Stirling has an Android tablet and a regular cell phone. I would love to get an Android tablet, but I just can't justify it. There's not much that a tablet would do that my phone doesn't do.
That's true, although it's nice to be able to show people bigger pictures and read in bed with the light off. Mine is a Samsung Galaxy Note - it came with a pen and S Note app that allows you to draw and write in digital notebooks, it converts written text to digital, you can add photos from the camera or the internet, etc. DH gave it to me for Christmas last year when I was about to take the Master Gardener class, so I could use it to take notes
Old 10-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #1979
Master Chef

Himself has been researching those....I guess they're like second-tier cell service providers? We have Verizon, and have had it for ages. He's been looking for similar services at a lower price. A lot of those "other" plans have you buy the phone (we just got a Samsung Galaxy S2 to replace our Droid 2 sets) and then pay for the monthly service. So far, test-driving the Samsung through Ting is looking promising. The one unit cost $200, so we'll end up spending about $400 for the two sets if we're happy with what we see during this 30-day trial period. After that our monthly service charge for the two phones will be $37 plus the government's shares, so about $45 a month. Or roughly 1/3 of what we've been paying for service on the two phones. Himself did the number crunching and figures our break-even time is just over four months.

Ting buys its time and service from Sprint. We had them before and had no problem. We switched to Verizon because the reception was better out here. Hmm, Verizon has now sold that tower we were using and our signal is so weak more than half the time (can you hear me NOW?)
)they aren't worth keeping.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #1980
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I really liked BakeChef's method - buy used smart phones on Ebay and don't get tied to a plan. With an unlocked phone, you can just buy a SIM card when you travel and pay for local service instead of hideously expensive roaming.