"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #1981
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
No nightmares last night...at least nothing that scared me.
Are you taking any new meds or have you had any adjustments in your meds? I had nightmares when I was on a new med. Once I was off, they went away.

Hope you can get some rest.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #1982
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Just an antibiotic, but I had been taking it for 2 weeks before I had the nightmare.

Thank you!

Old 10-22-2013, 03:21 AM   #1983
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I really liked BakeChef's method - buy used smart phones on Ebay and don't get tied to a plan. With an unlocked phone, you can just buy a SIM card when you travel and pay for local service instead of hideously expensive roaming.
This Samsung is used. Himself got it off eBay. He's been looking for a replacement Droid for me ever since mine started to act up well over a year ago. Seems like every time he found something he liked it was gone *poof* because he wasn't fast enough. Probably bakechef nabbing it. Now those phones are becoming scarce as people buy them up. If they buy too new a generation of phone they don't qualify for the same kind of data plan we had (unlimited). One problem with my old phone was that if I connected to WiFi the phone went off into its own little world. Got spasms. Couldn't use it at all. As long as this phone works just right (so far so good) we'll be using WiFi a lot and won't need to use the data. You sign up for the minimum you think you'll use. IF you go over, they bump the rate on that one function (voice/data/text) to the next price range for just that month. Your next billing cycle is back to what you signed up for. Himself will monitor our usage like a hawk; if he sees any regular pattern he can adjust our usage amounts on a month-by-month basis. And from what Himself told me, there really is no roaming charge on this service. If you wander off the Ting-linked Sprint tower and move to another provider's tower its all good. No "roaming charge". Huh.

After all that, all I can say is this phone is really cool!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #1984
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
This Samsung is used. Himself got it off eBay. He's been looking for a replacement Droid for me ever since mine started to act up well over a year ago. Seems like every time he found something he liked it was gone *poof* because he wasn't fast enough. Probably bakechef nabbing it. Now those phones are becoming scarce as people buy them up. If they buy too new a generation of phone they don't qualify for the same kind of data plan we had (unlimited). One problem with my old phone was that if I connected to WiFi the phone went off into its own little world. Got spasms. Couldn't use it at all. As long as this phone works just right (so far so good) we'll be using WiFi a lot and won't need to use the data. You sign up for the minimum you think you'll use. IF you go over, they bump the rate on that one function (voice/data/text) to the next price range for just that month. Your next billing cycle is back to what you signed up for. Himself will monitor our usage like a hawk; if he sees any regular pattern he can adjust our usage amounts on a month-by-month basis. And from what Himself told me, there really is no roaming charge on this service. If you wander off the Ting-linked Sprint tower and move to another provider's tower its all good. No "roaming charge". Huh.

After all that, all I can say is this phone is really cool!
You can buy the newest and greatest phone outright and still keep your unlimited data plan with Verizon, just as long as they don't subsidize it. You just have to go to the store and purchase a 4g LTE SIM card and tell them NOT to change anything about your plan, just activate the card on your number. I have done it! I still have unlimited on both phones.

I really like the look of Ting, I wish more carriers operated that way.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #1985
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

You can buy the newest and greatest phone outright and still keep your unlimited data plan with Verizon, just as long as they don't subsidize it. You just have to go to the store and purchase a 4g LTE SIM card and tell them NOT to change anything about your plan, just activate the card on your number. I have done it! I still have unlimited on both phones.

I really like the look of Ting, I wish more carriers operated that way.
Good to know, bakechef! Thanks!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #1986
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
You can buy the newest and greatest phone outright and still keep your unlimited data plan with Verizon, just as long as they don't subsidize it...
It's been my understanding that your monthly payment on a two year contract pays for the discounted phone. They sell you a phone for a low price then inflate the monthly contract price to get their money back. So if you buy a phone separately then continue your contract, you're paying twice.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #1987
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's been my understanding that your monthly payment on a two year contract pays for the discounted phone. They sell you a phone for a low price then inflate the monthly contract price to get their money back. So if you buy a phone separately then continue your contract, you're paying twice.
I agree that the monthly payments are inflated to cover the cost of discounted phones. But, I don't pay less once my contract is over. I don't see any plans that are cheaper if you don't get a discounted phone. It may be different in the US.

With Fido, my service provider, and I believe other Canadian cell phone companies, there is a penalty for switching away before fulfilling a contract that includes a discounted phone. The amount depends on how many months are left and how much the company figures they subsidized the phone. It works that way in Denmark too.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #1988
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
CG, when I wrote about roaming fees, I was thinking in terms of travelling to other countries.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #1989
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You are correct, it stinks that my monthly payment doesn't go down now that both contracts are over. I have to look at it this way, there is no other option that gives me unlimited LTE service at this point. Sprint is very slowly rolling out LTE service and they have unlimited data, but they have very little LTE at this point. Verizon has covered a majority of their footprint with LTE, the only time I see 3g show up on my phone is in very rural areas and fringe areas. I also pay $60 a month per phone with my corporate discount (unlimited data, 750 minutes shared, no texting). There are cheaper options for unlimited everything (data speeds are slowed after a certain amount, but not shut down or charged overages), but they are on networks like t-mobile where coverage can be quite spotty when not in a city. We rarely text and use very few minutes.

T-mobile started the program where they are pricing their phones separate from their service, the price of the service is obvious, then you finance your phone which is then added to your bill, once the phone is paid off your bill goes down to just the price of the service. All of the big names have followed suit and are offering similar programs, but they are all pretty much more than what I am paying per month.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #1990
Master Chef

Quote:
....I really like the look of Ting, I wish more carriers operated that way.
Quote:
....I also pay $60 a month per phone with my corporate discount (unlimited data, 750 minutes shared, no texting)......
Himself has looked at several plans for months now: Ting, Republic, Virgin and Someone Else (the Walmart one). Probably all the rest out there too. Decided Ting gave the most flexibility with your phone and the services would work for us. We currently have a Verizon similar to yours, but since he lost his company discount we've been paying $140 for two phones on a shared plan. Since we live in a reasonably modern town and we have unlimited internet at home we can use WiFi for the phones and not worry about using our data measure. As a bonus, Ting lets you download a HotSpot app on the phone. I remember that Republic didn't. Our daughter (whom we stay with when back in OH) doesn't have home internet and uses her phone as her hot spot - but you can piggyback only so many laptops to it before the connection suffers.