"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-26-2013, 04:31 AM   #2001
Master Chef

Addie,

Try tossing a few ice cubes into the garbage disposal to clean it, turn on the cold water, flip the switch and count to 10.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #2002
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I cut a pop bottle in half, invert the top part as a funnel, and put a bit of cider vinegar in the bottom. Fruit flies get in, but they can't fly out, and drown.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2388415773.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	19134

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-307462927.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	19135

Old 10-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #2003
Chef Extraordinaire

For fruit flies, I put a small bowl of cider vinegar on the counter with a few drops of dish detergent. The vinegar attracts them and the soap breaks the surface tension of the liquid. They try to land on top, but they fall into the cider and DIE!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #2004
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I cut a pop bottle in half, invert the top part as a funnel, and put a bit of cider vinegar in the bottom. Fruit flies get in, but they can't fly out, and drown.

Attachment 19134

Attachment 19135
Cool.

Fruit flies seem to like wine even better than cicer vinegar.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #2005
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
For fruit flies, I put a small bowl of cider vinegar on the counter with a few drops of dish detergent. The vinegar attracts them and the soap breaks the surface tension of the liquid. They try to land on top, but they fall into the cider and DIE!
That's what I usually do too.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #2006
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Cool.

Fruit flies seem to like wine even better than cicer vinegar.
I'm not sharing my wine When I was a bartender, I noticed that fruit flies really liked getting in through the pour tops of sweet liqueur bottles. Nasty. A little protein with your Pink Squirrel?
Old 10-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #2007
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's what I do! It works and within no time there are dead little fruit fly bodies in the vinegar.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #2008
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I had been having a battle with fruit flies. I knew the cause was a peach I didn't eat in time. So I cut it up, tossed the pit in the garbage and the flesh down the drain and let the garbage disposal take care of it. Hmmm. Too many fruit flies and they weren't leaving. So I went on line.

It seems the main culprit in most kitchens is the drain in the sink. Specially those with a garbage disposal. Sure enough, that is where my friends were holding there meetings. By now there wasn't a single fruit fly. They were all married with large families. The cure was so simple. Pour bleach down the drain and for those that didn't want to live down there, Windex! Windex? Are they kidding? Okay, I will try it. So I got out the bottle and every time I saw any, they got hit with Windex! Problem solved in one day.

Yesterday I made an apple pie for my daughter. I put the peels down the drain, ran the disposal with scalding hot water and then poured a bit of bleach down. I go out in the kitchen tonight and there are more of my friends. Where were they coming from? The peeler! I left it in the sink to be washed. And according to the article, it doesn't have to be fruit that attracts them. It can be a potato or onion or any raw food that has gone bad. Most foods have sugar in them and that is what they are after. There was still the sugar on the peeler. Lesson learned. Windex to the rescue! I usually clean as I go. But I got lazy this time.
Even with all of the fruit in our produce department at work, when we get fruit flies, they go after the onions first!

You'd think with a entire produce department we'd see more fruit flies than we do. When I worked for another company they were everywhere, including the bakery. They loved the onion or blueberry bagels in the bulk bagel bins.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #2009
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I wash bananas the minute I get them home. And the cherry toms in bowls on the counter sport shower caps.

We have a covered copper bucket on the counter for composting scraps, the FFs seem to like getting into it.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #2010
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

Attachment 19134

Attachment 19135
That's exactly what we do up at the marina to get rid of yellow jackets. Except we just leave a bit of coke in the bottom. Works like a charm.