"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #2111
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
I would never laugh at a glass of scotch, but do you think that the adrenaline you experienced coupled with the scotch may have caused the headache.
I doubt it. It took two hours before I got the headache and I had had a headache earlier, bad, but not as bad. Bad enough that I took AC&C (ASA [aspirin to Mercans], Codeine, and Cafeine). I did wait long enough after the AC&C before drinking the Scotch.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #2112
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I doubt it. It took two hours before I got the headache and I had had a headache earlier, bad, but not as bad. Bad enough that I took AC&C (ASA [aspirin to Mercans], Codeine, and Cafeine). I did wait long enough after the AC&C before drinking the Scotch.
I remember reading a story once that involved a trophy of a cat's hind end that was cursed. You should probably make sure no one has snuck one into your house.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #2113
Master Chef

My petty vent today doesn't seem so petty to me. I came home after a very nice day at church. We had decided to have a Thanksgiving themed pot-luck next Sunday, to make sure that members who have no family around, or way to celebrate Thanksgiving have a great Thanksgiving Day meal. I was given a 15 lb. turkey to cook on the Webber for the pot luck. I brought it home, went into the basement to put it into the freezer, and found myself standing in ankle-deep water.

I checked the sump pump, and it was running. I disconnected it from the drain pipe that runs underground into the back yard, and turned on the pump. It pumped water wonderfully. I went out and dug up the drain tiles, three foot deep, and in a 20 yard trench. Lots of work there. Twomyoung men from our church helped me. They had to leave after we cleared every drain tile of the sand packing them. I buried everything back up and went back in to turn on the pump. I accidentally pulled the PVC hose from the pipe, and had to rebuild the connections from the pump, to the one-way valve, to the pipe. Of course I had to purchase hose clamps, on a Sunday no less. We don't purchase things on Sunday normally. I'm calling this one the "ox in the mire". I'll be checking in about 10 more minutes to see if the water is drained.

This is such a pain.

Saturday, I spent several hours preparing my two batches of chili for tomorrow's United Way Chili Cookoff. I was a tad sore after that. I will be serving the chili tomorrow. I'm going to be one tired hombre tomorrow night.

I'm gonna check the basement now. If it's drained, I'm going to bed.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #2114
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh, Chief, so sorry. This belongs in Major Vents! We had a basement full of water many years ago. No sleep for 4 days as we shopvacced and cleaned.

What a huge pain, hope things get back to normal soon!
Old 11-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #2115
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh, Chief, so sorry. This belongs in Major Vents! We had a basement full of water many years ago. No sleep for 4 days as we shopvacced and cleaned.

What a huge pain, hope things get back to normal soon!
My thoughts exactly. Major Vent! Hope tomorrow will be a peaceful family day and it is nice and quiet for you. What nice church members to help you on a Sunday.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #2116
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Sorry to read about the basement flood. BTDT. I'm glad you had help.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #2117
Master Chef

I'll get it all sorted out. There isn't anything of real value in my basement, except for the hot water heater, the furnace, the deep freezer, you know, little things like that. Fortunately, we planned ahead. They are all a foot or more above the floor, and are untouched right now.

Well, it's light outside and so I'm going out to re-dig part of the drainage area, to find out why the water isn't pumping faster.

And thanks everyone, for the sympathy and understanding.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #2118
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

So sorry, Chief! I hope you get it figured out or you can create a skate rink in the basement.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #2119
Chef Extraordinaire

To say I am just a tad piturbed is to put it mildly. Winthrop screwed up again. I had an 8:45 a.m. appointment today. Winthrop failed to enter it into their system or arrang for my transportation. So needless to say, I missed another appointment. This one is rather important. It is a follow-up to make sure I am not headed for a stroke. One side of my mouth every so often becomes distorted and stays that way for about five minutes. My vascular doctor can't find a reason for it and wants neurology to take a look at me. All her tests come back fine. Is there some sort of blockage in my brain?

The woman who is responsible for entering these appointments has done this so often. I should have called her Friday to confirm. It shouldn't have to fall on me. I had to do the rescheduling because I cannot trust her to do it right. I don't want to file a formal complaint. It could cost her, her job. And I don't ever want that on my head.

I am going to brag a bit here. I am probably one of the best patients they have ever had. I make my own appointments, do the follow-up and call in for my own meds. I even often make arrangements for my own transportation. All jobs Winthrop is supposed to do. The whole purpose of this program is that I shouldn't have to worry my little head about anything. But I find that I often get calls from Winthrop asking me to verify their information with what I have. And I don't have an up to date computer program like they do. I just have my Google calendar. Grrr!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #2120
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I'll get it all sorted out. There isn't anything of real value in my basement, except for the hot water heater, the furnace, the deep freezer, you know, little things like that. Fortunately, we planned ahead. They are all a foot or more above the floor, and are untouched right now.

Well, it's light outside and so I'm going out to re-dig part of the drainage area, to find out why the water isn't pumping faster.

And thanks everyone, for the sympathy and understanding.

Good luck Chief! Having been there, done that living in a basement apartment at my daughter's, you have my sympathy and total understanding.