"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #2121
Executive Chef

What a mess! You seem to be handling it very well, Chief. Hope it's all fixed.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #2122
Chef Extraordinaire

I seem to be into punishing myself today. I can't stand not even one grain of salt or sugar on my counter tops. It drives me right up the wall. So I decide today I will wax the counter tops. I look for my bottle of Jubilee Kitchen Wax. Of course it is waaaay in back under the sink. I have to move everything on the counters. Then I get to the ones next to the stove. Why not do the tiles in back on the stove while I am at it? And the stove could use a good coat. Well, while I am at it, do the fridge also. Also the wooden trim along the edge of the counters should be done. Why not the cabinet fronts? Why not just shoot myself?

Now everyday I make sure I clean and wash my counter tops and wipe them down with hospital wipes. The stunner is that I cannot believe just how dirty they were. That Jubilee Wax really got all that film of dirt that I thought I was getting everyday. But at last my kitchen smells really clean and of Jubilee Wax. I am going to have to make this a weekly chore instead of just when I think of it.

Now my spine and hip are killing me. I had to take two Vicodins instead of just one. It was going up and down on the stool to clean the tiles over the stove that finally did me in.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #2123
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I seem to be into punishing myself today. I can't stand not even one grain of salt or sugar on my counter tops. It drives me right up the wall. So I decide today I will wax the counter tops. I look for my bottle of Jubilee Kitchen Wax. Of course it is waaaay in back under the sink. I have to move everything on the counters. Then I get to the ones next to the stove. Why not do the tiles in back on the stove while I am at it? And the stove could use a good coat. Well, while I am at it, do the fridge also. Also the wooden trim along the edge of the counters should be done. Why not the cabinet fronts? Why not just shoot myself?

Now everyday I make sure I clean and wash my counter tops and wipe them down with hospital wipes. The stunner is that I cannot believe just how dirty they were. That Jubilee Wax really got all that film of dirt that I thought I was getting everyday. But at last my kitchen smells really clean and of Jubilee Wax. I am going to have to make this a weekly chore instead of just when I think of it.

Now my spine and hip are killing me. I had to take two Vicodins instead of just one. It was going up and down on the stool to clean the tiles over the stove that finally did me in.
I would throw that bottle of wax right out the window!

I understand how you feel though, for me it is the smell of pine cleaner or Clorox. It reminds me of my Grandmother mopping the kitchen floor and then spreading newspapers over it to pick up the water. So glad that I can be easily satisfied with the memory and feel no compulsion to actually mop the kitchen floor!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #2124
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

I understand how you feel though, for me it is the smell of pine cleaner or Clorox. It reminds me of my Grandmother mopping the kitchen floor and then spreading newspapers over it to pick up the water. So glad that I can be easily satisfied with the memory and feel no compulsion to actually mop the kitchen floor!
I have been using Jubilee Wax for almost 50 years. SEJohnson stopped manufacturing it for quite a while. But Vermont Country Store bought out their on hand supply and have carried it ever since. It is so popular and a plethora of letters asking about it that SEJ has begun to manufacturing it again. When the word went out that it was no longer being manufactured, housewives began to buy out what small local hardware stores had on hand. They often had to go down to their basements to bring up a case or two for the housewife.

One day my kids wrote on the wallpaper in the living room with a crayon. The Jubilee took it right off with no tell tale signs that it was ever there. From that day on I swore by it.

And I still mop my floors. Minus the newspaper. I have a wringer pail and it wrings out the mop almost dry. The floors dry really quick. I also still wax my kitchen and bathroom floors. But I use the non-skid wax.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #2125
Master Chef

Where oh where did I get pink eye? No one in the family or anyone else I know has had it. :-(
Old 11-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #2126
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Where oh where did I get pink eye? No one in the family or anyone else I know has had it. :-(
You may have touched a door knob that some stranger touched that had it. Then you touched your eye. You can pick that up anywhere. Make sure you keep your hands scrupulously clean and away from your eye. Tempting as it may be to rub it because it itches. All a pink eye is a small pimple in the follicle of an eye lash.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #2127
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

My mop's gathering dust in the garage -- good riddance to that particular compulsion. A little Swiffering holds the Health Dept. at bay. Nobody eats off the floor now anyway since the dog passed away.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #2128
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You may have touched a door knob that some stranger touched that had it. Then you touched your eye. You can pick that up anywhere. Make sure you keep your hands scrupulously clean and away from your eye. Tempting as it may be to rub it because it itches. All a pink eye is a small pimple in the follicle of an eye lash.

It's highly contageous. My step-daughter's eye was all pink one day when she was in high school and she got sent home and was not allowed back without a note from an opthamalogist stating that she did not have pink eye. She didn't have it, and she really could not afford to miss school until we got an appointment.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #2129
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
My mop's gathering dust in the garage -- good riddance to that particular compulsion. A little Swiffering holds the Health Dept. at bay. Nobody eats off the floor now anyway since the dog passed away.

On Sunday, my grandson decided he wanted some bread. He's 5 and thinks he can do everything himself. Somehow, he dumped the whole loaf of bread on the floor. But he picked up every slice and put it back in the bag! LOL Like we're going to eat it, clean floor or not. The birds had a nice feast.

I used to do my floor on my hands and knees. Since I had my surgery my husband started doing them, but he mops. No house-maid's knee for him!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #2130
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I also use a cobweb covered Swiffer!

The truth is I start out with the Swiffer and end up crawling around the kitchen floor on my hands and knees with a sponge because the Swiffer does a lousy job, beats going to the gym!