"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #2141
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Remember when I emailed the Public TV Station because their "submit recipe" website was not working? They send me an email telling me to send the recipe directly to their email.

I'm going to be in the cookbook, I'm going to be in the cookbook! LOL
One of our own is going to be published!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #2142
Executive Chef

I am trying to renew my automobile registration online and the website won't come up. Don't any of the government websites work? Oh well, I have until January.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #2143
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I am trying to renew my automobile registration online and the website won't come up. Don't any of the government websites work? Oh well, I have until January.
My daughter works for the RMV here in Mass. She works for the dealers in the state. They are supposed to register all their vehicles on line. You cannot imagine how many make stupid mistakes. Lower case "l" for "1" Lower case "o" for "0". When she calls them to go back in and correct their errors, they really get hostile. After a while she learned to tell them to have the secretary make the corrections. Their excuse is that the system was acting up the day they entered the VIN. (No it wasn't.) If they get too hostile, she refuses to allow the registration to go through, and they can't sell that vehicle until all the corrections are made. Most of the dealers realize that she has a lot of power. It is the young twits that give her the hard times.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #2144
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Spike informed me last night that here in Massachusetts, our free ride has come to an end. Amazon and our Tax Department came to an agreement. Effective November 1, 2013, Amazon will now collect the sales tax for Massachusetts. So unless it a Prime purchase, we may as well shop in the brick and mortar. So that is what we will do. In his travels while working, he will be going right past a vacuum parts store and will pick up some bags for mine. There is no rush, as I just put in my last new bag. And I don't vacuum that often. Dang Amazon!
I think Amazon is charging everyone tax now, no matter what state. AND free shipping from Amazon sales is now $35.00 not $25
Old 11-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #2145
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'm not yet paying tax on Amazon, but it's only a matter of time.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #2146
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Apparently IKEA has magical powers. I seem to forget how much I don't like putting together furniture while I'm there! Even though the fabulous hall cabinet for shoes had what seemed like a million pieces, it was totally worth it, it looks fabulous!

I only drew blood once putting it together!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #2147
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I think Amazon is charging everyone tax now, no matter what state. AND free shipping from Amazon sales is now $35.00 not $25

I think there was a law passed awhile back that all online stores have to charge state sales tax. Each individual buyer was supposed to submit the tax to their state. The states were losing a lot of revenue. We were lucky to get away without it before.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #2148
Certified Pretend Chef

I believe the law says you have to charge sales tax for online sales if you have a brick and mortar store in that state.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #2149
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I believe the law says you have to charge sales tax for online sales if you have a brick and mortar store in that state.
Yes, that's exactly it. If I order from Amazon, no tax in NC, but if I order from Tiger Direct (we have stores here) then I have to pay sales tax.

Some states are making all online retailers charge tax.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #2150
Master Chef

I now have to purchase even more cheap, eligible items to get the total up to $35 to qualify for free shipping. They've got some of us by the valls. But it's so convenient.... LOL