"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #2161
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
^^^ Perhaps those separate cash registers are physically placed on the state line. lol..
Nope, they are firmly in NoDak...I asked.

The town realized they were losing sales by charging NoDak sales tax to their Montana customers and found a way to fix it. Montanans will drive the extra 100 miles to avoid paying a sales tax.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #2162
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Louisiana has multiple sales taxes. Sometimes as many as 4 different ones for a sales slip. They range from 4% to 9.9%. They even tax food!
Is that for all food? Or just in restos and/or luxury foods?

Here it's on resto food, snack food (salted stuff), sweet bakery items like donuts, cupcakes, cookies, if you buy less than 6, carbonated beverages, and I don't remember what other foods - oh yeah, food that is sold hot. There might be more, but basic food doesn't have sales tax. Just as well, it's 5.5% GST (federal) and 9.5% QST (Quebec sales tax).

Old 11-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #2163
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Nope, they are firmly in NoDak...I asked.

The town realized they were losing sales by charging NoDak sales tax to their Montana customers and found a way to fix it. Montanans will drive the extra 100 miles to avoid paying a sales tax.
I guess that's sort of like getting back the VAT you paid in a European country, when you leave.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #2164
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is that for all food? Or just in restos and/or luxury foods?

Here it's on resto food, snack food (salted stuff), sweet bakery items like donuts, cupcakes, cookies, if you buy less than 6, carbonated beverages, and I don't remember what other foods - oh yeah, food that is sold hot. There might be more, but basic food doesn't have sales tax. Just as well, it's 5.5% GST (federal) and 9.5% QST (Quebec sales tax).
As far as I can tell, but different foods have different rates. I don't know exactly which ones have which rates, but as far as I can tell everything is taxed.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #2165
Chef Extraordinaire

W have a 6.5% sales tax, state wide. Then a restaurant tax. No food tax except on prepared foods. Like the rotisserie foods, premade sandwiches, etc. No tax on clothing and certain educational materials. No tax on medicines or prescriptions. Except for OTC. No tax on labor services for plumbers, electricians, etc. Only for parts replaced. Special state taxes on cigarettes and gasoline.

We live next door to a tax free state. NH. But their real estate taxes are out of this world. So for those who live just miles from the border, they make a trip every weekend to fill up on their cigarettes and booze.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #2166
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

All food is taxed here in NC, even basic staples. I was surprised to find that after living in Maine and only having snacks and such taxed. Milk, bread and other staples are taxed at a lower rate here in NC, but still taxed.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #2167
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
All food is taxed here in NC, even basic staples. I was surprised to find that after living in Maine and only having snacks and such taxed. Milk, bread and other staples are taxed at a lower rate here in NC, but still taxed.
The first time I ever heard of 'sales tax' was on my honeymoon in Portland ME. It was in the mid 50's.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #2168
Chef Extraordinaire

Some of my more preferred shows are documentaries. But lately, the voice doing the 'voice over' just seems to drone on and on. Bill Curtis is the biggest offender. I swear he gets paid by the word. After a while, I can't even watch to the end of the show. So for now I am going to find a good book to read instead.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #2169
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I usually don't like the "music" these kinds of shows play.

What I do is turn on the closed captioning and turn the sound all the way down. You might try it too. I enjoy my animal and universe type shows much more this way.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #2170
Executive Chef

In PA we have tax on prepared food, but not grocery store food. We also do not pay tax on clothing, except for specialty, like hunting gear etc.