"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #2191
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My sympathy TL. I use to do data entry as a Temp worker. I always carried my wrist brace with me to any job they sent me to. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is no picnic. I had two braces, depending on the job I was going to be doing. If it was numeric, I wore the right hand one. But if I was going to be doing a lot of typing, I used the left hand one. It seemed that my left hand always has been the weak one. Even when I play the piano.

With the type of work you do, you really do need to protect that wrist.
Yup, I don't wait until it really hurts. I put the brace on at the first twinge. I'm thinking I should get a second brace to leave in the car. This round started when I was away from home.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #2192
Executive Chef

Having a handicap placard will not stop people from making comments unless you LOOK handicapped. If you don't look handicapped, they will tell you that! They seem to be jealous because you get to park closer to the store. People want to park as close as they can to a store. Then they go to the gym and run on the treadmill for exercise.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #2193
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yup, I don't wait until it really hurts. I put the brace on at the first twinge. I'm thinking I should get a second brace to leave in the car. This round started when I was away from home.
Good idea. Turning the steering, taking packages from the car, using the door handle to open the door, etc. All movements that put stress on your hand and wrist.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #2194
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm reminded of something I saw on TV. It was about a young man who had both legs amputated at around the knee. He was an avid skier. Someone asked him how he always got a parking spot close to the entrance. "oh, I park in the handicapped spot." People were horrified. They didn't realize he was a double amputee. He had great fun with that comment.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #2195
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Cat, you can almost completely eliminate this sort of encounter if you acquire an handicap hangtag for your dashboard rear view mirror. In our state, all that is required to get one is a note from the doctor (in this case DA's doctor) stating that she needs handicap assistance. The note is then taken to the county department of motor vehicles to the office that handles car registrations and they will issue the tag.

The tags have expiration dates in our state but they are good for several years before they have to be renewed and our state does not charge for them.

This then allows us to park in the handicap-designated spaces, as long as the tag is put on the rear view mirror on the dash.

We prefer the hangtag over a license plate because we can move it from one of our vehicles to the other, depending on which one we are driving.
Yes, I have the card that I hang on the stem of the rearview mirror to indicate there is a handicapped person in Joy. I don't have the handicap license tag for Joy is registered to only me, and I'm not handicapped. DA's doctor gave her this card many years ago for use in Gwen's car or anyone else's car in which she is riding.

When I am alone in Joy, I put the card in my driver's side door pocket. I never use this for me! I like to run anyway!

When I first began driving my Joy, I put DA out at home because she had become tired and I was to finish the errands. I forgot and left the card on the mirror stem. I parked very far away from the store, and as I got out, a very nice lady said, "Honey, there's handicapped spaces up there for you."

Oh dear! I was so very embarrassed! I thanked her, and explained that the card was for my DA and not for me. I learned to never forget to put it away again! Nice people might think I could hurt myself.

But that man was mean. I'd never use the card for myself. It's very illegal and it's morally and ethically wrong to do so.

Even with the motorized scooters DA sometimes uses, she gets very tired. She's 95 years old. If I'd lived that long, I'd be tired also.

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #2196
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Having a handicap placard will not stop people from making comments unless you LOOK handicapped. If you don't look handicapped, they will tell you that! They seem to be jealous because you get to park closer to the store. People want to park as close as they can to a store. Then they go to the gym and run on the treadmill for exercise.
Yes, thank you! I like to run. I run with my dog and also ride my bike with her. I love to really move myself and get all my pipes and plumbing cleared.

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #2197
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Yes, I have the card that I hang on the stem of the rearview mirror to indicate there is a handicapped person in Joy. I don't have the handicap license tag for Joy is registered to only me, and I'm not handicapped. DA's doctor gave her this card many years ago for use in Gwen's car or anyone else's car in which she is riding.

When I am alone in Joy, I put the card in my driver's side door pocket. I never use this for me! I like to run anyway!

When I first began driving my Joy, I put DA out at home because she had become tired and I was to finish the errands. I forgot and left the card on the mirror stem. I parked very far away from the store, and as I got out, a very nice lady said, "Honey, there's handicapped spaces up there for you."

Oh dear! I was so very embarrassed! I thanked her, and explained that the card was for my DA and not for me. I learned to never forget to put it away again! Nice people might think I could hurt myself.

But that man was mean. I'd never use the card for myself. It's very illegal and it's morally and ethically wrong to do so.

Even with the motorized scooters DA sometimes uses, she gets very tired. She's 95 years old. If I'd lived that long, I'd be tired also.

With love,
~Cat
Good! Now I won't have to sell you to the gypsies. With this economy, the price went down. I would have lost money.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #2198
Executive Chef

Quote:
Yes, thank you! I like to run. I run with my dog and also ride my bike with her. I love to really move myself and get all my pipes and plumbing cleared.

With love,
~Cat

It's very healthy to do that, Cat. DA was probably the same way when she was young and that's why she still going strong at 95! Bless her.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #2199
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Good! Now I won't have to sell you to the gypsies. With this economy, the price went down. I would have lost money.
No, no, no! Papa's a businessman. I know these things. This is what we'll do. I'll pay you to broker a deal to send me to Katie H. She's her hubby's gypsy girl, remember?

So. She shall pay to you a "finder's fee," such as in real estate. She pays you to take me.

In four days, she will be so very fed up with me that she will pay both you and me to be gone, and I'll go back to DA.

It's very simple, and we all win. You and I make money, and Katie is able to keep her sanity.

Capitalism is wonderful, yes? God bless America!

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #2200
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
No, no, no! Papa's a businessman. I know these things. This is what we'll do. I'll pay you to broker a deal to send me to Katie H. She's her hubby's gypsy girl, remember?

So. She shall pay to you a "finder's fee," such as in real estate. She pays you to take me.

In four days, she will be so very fed up with me that she will pay both you and me to be gone, and I'll go back to DA.

It's very simple, and we all win. You and I make money, and Katie is able to keep her sanity.

Capitalism is wonderful, yes? God bless America!

With love,
~Cat
Cat I just love you. You are an absolute delight. A treasure to this forum.