"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #2211
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's a good way to look at the situation. Take a negative and turn it into a positive
GG, Cat is very much like me. Flares up with anger, gets over it out of her system and over it, then goes on. She is always looking for the good side to a situation. And she finds it.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #2212
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Yes, Cat, I knew you were adopted, but it slipped my mind.
It slips everyone's mind here. It is not the big deal here that it is in Romania. There is such a shortage of adoptable babies in this country, that a lot of Americans have been forced to look overseas for a child to adopt. The one thing Americans can't bear is to think of is that there is a child in this world who is not loved and part of a family.

We have an organization here is Boston called, "The Home for Little Wanderers." It started out as an orphanage many, many decades ago. Now it is a group home for children waiting to find a foster home until they can be adopted. They are mostly children six y. o. and up. They very rarely have any babies anymore. And certainly no orphans. When my kids were really small, I was rushed to the hospital in the middle of the night. The police brought them there and they stayed for a week. To this day, I send an unwrapped present to them at Christmas. Spike or my daughter just drop it off at the front desk for me. No name left. Just a drop off.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #2213
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
GG, Cat is very much like me. Flares up with anger, gets over it out of her system and over it, then goes on. She is always looking for the good side to a situation. And she finds it.
Oh Addie! You are so very correct! I didn't know you knew this about me! Mamma always says to me, "Live and learn, Cat. Some people just live." And she is also very correct.

Now I'm feeling badly for this man. And it was also my fault. I didn't know what to say. I was worried because DA was so very tired and, yes, she had the electric sit-down cart but she still becomes very tired after shopping.

The man saw a healthy young woman run to a car parked in the handicap space. He may have seen abuses of the handicap spaces before and even, perhaps, had to park somewhere else. He was old and used a cane.

He had no understanding of my motives for parking there, and so, it's not his fault.

For the next time this happens, I'll speak up and reassure someone that I am not abusing this privilege.

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #2214
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Don't fee bad Cat. You were surprised and you had no experience with this sort of thing. We have all been in that situation. The older you get the more things happen that you can learn from and have a handy answer the next time.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #2215
Master Chef

Just got laid off . WELL ... I will be around to cook BUT not sure what I will be cooking as I was buying the food stuffs. LOL Good and bad hand in hand.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #2216
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Don't fee bad Cat. You were surprised and you had no experience with this sort of thing. We have all been in that situation. The older you get the more things happen that you can learn from and have a handy answer the next time.
+1. Misunderstandings happen all the time. All we can do is try to do better next time.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #2217
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Just got laid off . WELL ... I will be around to cook BUT not sure what I will be cooking as I was buying the food stuffs. LOL Good and bad hand in hand.
I'm so sorry, msmofet! Didn't that happen last year, too? Bummer.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #2218
Master Chef

Quote:
I'm so sorry, msmofet! Didn't that happen last year, too? Bummer.
Yes and it was 4 months till I got called back.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #2219
Chef Extraordinaire

There might be places near you that are hiring extra employees for the holidays. Is that something you might want to try?
Old 11-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #2220
Master Chef

Quote:
There might be places near you that are hiring extra employees for the holidays. Is that something you might want to try?
I can't do stand up jobs. I need something like a call center/customer service. I won't really mind being off for the holidays. I am going to doctors for my hands at the moment so I won't have to worry about missing work. Paying bills and food shopping will be the problem.