"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #221
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am watching Cook's Country. They are making Gumbo. The liquid calls for 3.75 cups. Why not just make it four cups even? Would it really make that much difference? Sometimes when my son is sitting here and watching ATK or CC, they will mention an odd measurement and we just look at each other . I like both shows, but sometimes they are just pain silly with their measurments.
Maybe it's half of a recipe calling for 7.5 cups or even a much larger recipe calling for 15 cups.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #222
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Dang, I forgot to attend my 40th High School Reunion last night in nearby Costa Mesa. I was busy doing my tax returns.
Bummer.

I never got any invitations to any of my high school reunions. No one I know lives at the address I had in high school. But, if there is a 50th reunion, I should hear about it because I am Facebook friends with a number of people from my graduating class.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #223
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix
Dang, I forgot to attend my 40th High School Reunion last night in nearby Costa Mesa. I was busy doing my tax returns.
Oh no!!! Well, maybe they will have a 45th reunion in five years.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #224
Executive Chef

We should have a reunion next summer. My class usually has one every five years. It will be 35 years.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #225
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Bummer.

I never got any invitations to any of my high school reunions. No one I know lives at the address I had in high school. But, if there is a 50th reunion, I should hear about it because I am Facebook friends with a number of people from my graduating class.
Well, I don't think I missed much judging from the one I attended 10 years ago. I don't care much for them. The herd would have been much thinner this time around, I presumed, considering a graduating class of just under 100 to begin with. Yeah, small class.
I'm still amazed that the reunion committee can still track people down and gather them in one spot. Of course, the internet makes that easy. We all graduated from an Armed Forces run high school overseas and have settled all over the US. But So Cal and Las Vegas seem to be the favorite to conduct the reunions.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #226
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix

Well, I don't think I missed much judging from the one I attended 10 years ago. I don't care much for them. The herd would have been much thinner this time around, I presumed, considering a graduating class of just under 100 to begin with. Yeah, small class.
I'm still amazed that the reunion committee can still track people down and gather them in one spot. Of course, the internet makes that easy. We all graduated from an Armed Forces run high school overseas and have settled all over the US. But So Cal and Las Vegas seem to be the favorite to conduct the reunions.
We had 63 in my class graduate. About 20 of those went all the way from Kindergarten through grade 12. I was one of those lucky ones. At the last reunion we had about 30 graduates show up. Since it was such a small school, everyone knew each other. It is actuall fun for both my husband and myself because he has gotten to know a lot of people too. If they have one, we will go.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #227
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
We should have a reunion next summer. My class usually has one every five years. It will be 35 years.

We graduated the same year! 35 years, really? I must have lost track of time...
Old 10-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #228
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

We graduated the same year! 35 years, really? I must have lost track of time...
Time flies!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #229
Sous Chef

My 35th reunion was this summer on Friday the 13th of July. Our school mascot is Blackcats so it was fitting. All the inviting was done over Facebook & word of mouth. It was also a multi-year reunion that covered about 5 years of classes. We rented a hall, had finger food, cake, lots of mingling & ended with a band (way too loud) that was still together from our high school years. There's talk about having one every year there's a Friday 13, during the summer.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #230
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My Mother's graduating class meets several times a year and the entire class is still alive and kicking. Of course, her other classmate is her twin sister.