Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lent a car to a friend to go to work, who's car was in the shop.
It was totalled this morning, friend is okay.
It's just a car, right? the light post? the stress on the relationship. UGH!

oh my goodness, glad friend not hurt. cars can be replaced. was the accident your friends fault?

Yes, no other drivers, hit curb, broke tie rod, hit light post. He doesn't know if tie rod broke first, then curb, or the other way around. Hardly matters.
I'm still waiting for his truck to get fixed so we can go and junk the totalled car. OR $25/day on that. Bluck Bluck Bluck.

I'm really glad your friend wasn't hurt. Maybe you'll end up with a better car. Sorry, Bliss.

Well...thanks for caring. When I read through the last page of venting, it just showed me how much I have to be thankful for in my life.

I didn't carry coll/comp, just liability, but remember it's a really old car '92, so it's a calculated trade off I'll bear. It's a little harder to bear right now because I'm unemployed (hopefully temporarily).

What I learned: insurance goes by the car, not the driver. The driver had liability/comp and collision insurance. (I think I knew that at some point earlier in life.) Exception--if you have liability/comp/coll, rent a car, your insurance will cover the rental--always check that with your insurer before you rent.

Insurance trivia not related to today's accident: did you know that in WI and I believe FL, if you are hit by a car, and the car's driver has a heart attack prior to losing control (so he's dead), his insurance does not have to pay. The reasoning is that the insurance only covers living drivers. I checked this with the Insurance commissioner of our state, and this is true. We went through this years ago.

So in trying to remain cheerful in the face of this--don't lend out your car unless you are willing to lose it if it isn't fully insured--and don't get hit by a dead driver.

Well...thanks for caring. When I read through the last page of venting, it just showed me how much I have to be thankful for in my life.

I didn't carry coll/comp, just liability, but remember it's a really old car '92, so it's a calculated trade off I'll bear. It's a little harder to bear right now because I'm unemployed (hopefully temporarily).

What I learned: insurance goes by the car, not the driver. The driver had liability/comp and collision insurance. (I think I knew that at some point earlier in life.) Exception--if you have liability/comp/coll, rent a car, your insurance will cover the rental--always check that with your insurer before you rent.

Insurance trivia not related to today's accident: did you know that in WI and I believe FL, if you are hit by a car, and the car's driver has a heart attack prior to losing control (so he's dead), his insurance does not have to pay. The reasoning is that the insurance only covers living drivers. I checked this with the Insurance commissioner of our state, and this is true. We went through this years ago.

So in trying to remain cheerful in the face of this--don't lend out your car unless you are willing to lose it if it isn't fully insured--and don't get hit by a dead driver.

The Monkey Wrench Gang, by Edward Abbey. If anyone knows what I'm talking about!

Whether the insurance goes by the car or by the driver, depends - maybe on location or maybe on the insurance company. Before I went to visit my sister, I phoned my insurance company and they told me that my insurance would cover my sister's car while I was driving it.

Whether the insurance goes by the car or by the driver, depends - maybe on location or maybe on the insurance company. Before I went to visit my sister, I phoned my insurance company and they told me that my insurance would cover my sister's car while I was driving it.
I guess, not here, not with these companies, not on a claim. I understand you are in a different location, different company, different situation--do you ever wonder if you need to get everything in writing, just in case?
Things will get better. (Stuff's getting better--President Starkey)

OK, that was a serious one. How about a small, annoying one? What is it with everyone adding prepositions at the end of a sentence, just for the heck of it? Do you really reduce things down? Reduce. Period. Stir it up? Stir it, enough. Saute it around? Build it up? Stuff it in?

I tried to tutor a 3rd grader a couple of years ago in grammar, and it was virtually impossible. Cooking shows aside, even if your kid never sees a cooking show (the worst when it comes to PREpositions (yes, pre meaning before, not after)), even if you only allow them to watch PBS and listen to NPR, if your kid ever gets a passing grade in grammar, I would consider it a miracle. Since even our so-called experts in communication can't seem to string words together to get a sentence that would pass a third grade grammar class, how can we expect anything better from children?

This one is so small as to be nearly invisible. At first it seemed like a great idea -- plastic bag reclosable seals. They either won't reseal without several tries, or sometimes just won't reseal at all. Then there are those seals on commercial products that you can hardly get open. Bad news for older fingers.

Need I mention the "its" "it's" thing?

The Monkey Wrench Gang, by Edward Abbey. If anyone knows what I'm talking about!

I did google the Monkey Wrench Gang and it sounds like a good read.

Vent: How about 'to', 'too', 'two' and 'they're', 'their', 'there'? And what about using apostrophes instead of quote marks?:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I just downloaded Firefox 4. It's not at all bad except for one thing. The tabs that are not in use are printed in black on charcoal gray and is impossible to read easily.

I tried to change back to my original Firefox, but only ended up reinstalling Firefox 4. That's the same thing that Internet Explorer did with IE8. It wouldn't let you go back to IE7 no matter what it said on the download site.

It also makes my Discuss Cooking site look weird. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Thanks. I had tried before, but only found sites that said it wasn't compatible, but in checking before posting, I found a site that is compatible. Much better.

Thanks again!

I did google the Monkey Wrench Gang and it sounds like a good read.

Vent: How about 'to', 'too', 'two' and 'they're', 'their', 'there'? And what about using apostrophes instead of quote marks?:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Oh, "to", "too", "two" and "they"re", "their", "there" thing drives me bonkers. People don't seem to realize that when they use the wrong one, I often have to read what they wrote several times before I notice that it's a mistake and then I can understand it.

I sometimes forget the second "o" in "too".

I just downloaded Firefox 4. It's not at all bad except for one thing. The tabs that are not in use are printed in black on charcoal gray and is impossible to read easily.

I tried to change back to my original Firefox, but only ended up reinstalling Firefox 4. That's the same thing that Internet Explorer did with IE8. It wouldn't let you go back to IE7 no matter what it said on the download site.

It also makes my Discuss Cooking site look weird. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Try Chrome: Google Chrome - Get a fast new browser. For PC, Mac, and Linux

Thanks, TL. I got the color tabs and it works fine now. I would like to figure out how to get the same sites to keep the same colors, but I can deal with it.

Thanks, TL. I got the color tabs and it works fine now. I would like to figure out how to get the same sites to keep the same colors, but I can deal with it.

If you right click on a tab, and scroll down to the Colorful Tabs thingy you can set the color for particular sites.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom