Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a thick yellow haze in the air, everything is covered in pollen. I feel like a zombie, even taking flonaise and claratin! I'd never seen pollen like this until I moved south. I walked out of work today and the parking lot looked like a sand storm except it is pollen! UGH!

yeah, and soon we'll be having to put up with cicadas again-- doing their drunken dive-bombing acts around our heads. ...has it really been 17 years since their last hapless visit?

I think that there are two batches, because I swear we just dealt with them within the last 5 years. My boss lives in the country and the cicadas get terrible there, in the city, it isn't as bad, but bad enough!

Oh those things are so disgusting !! They are ugly, noisy and useless. Not looking forward to a huge invasion .. the last few years have been bad enough !

There is a thick yellow haze in the air, everything is covered in pollen. I feel like a zombie, even taking flonaise and claratin! I'd never seen pollen like this until I moved south. I walked out of work today and the parking lot looked like a sand storm except it is pollen! UGH!

I remember one spring, a bunch of pollen fell on my face. I went to wipe it off and within an hour I had blisters on my face. :angel:

We're getting some rain tonight, so maybe that will calm down the pollen some, I just want to feel human again!

I feel your pain, bakechef.

One of the best things I ever did was go through the series of allergy shots for years. Now spring is not a problem.

Now SO just started a new treatment option for immunotherapy, drops under your tongue. It's a multi-year proposition but at least you don't have to go the the Dr.'s office every week, to weeks, etc.

Grrr, annoying commercials. Trying to watch the news and it seems like I have to reach for the remote every commercial break because of the noise factor or stupidity of at least half of them. I'll gladly watch and watch again if it's a cute or creative ad, but those are few and far between.

On a similar note, why do shows have to drive the background music up so loud during the critical parts? You can't catch the dialog no matter how loudly you blast it. Grrr....

Finally, good luck to all of you battling pollen allergies. When we lived in OH all I was allergic to was grass pollen. Since we moved to MA I've developed so many allergies I guess I'm just allergic to MA!

Grrr, annoying commercials. Trying to watch the news and it seems like I have to reach for the remote every commercial break because of the noise factor or stupidity of at least half of them. I'll gladly watch and watch again if it's a cute or creative ad, but those are few and far between.

On a similar note, why do shows have to drive the background music up so loud during the critical parts? You can't catch the dialog no matter how loudly you blast it. Grrr....

Finally, good luck to all of you battling pollen allergies. When we lived in OH all I was allergic to was grass pollen. Since we moved to MA I've developed so many allergies I guess I'm just allergic to MA!

I've been allergic to Montana for years, things grow here that never did in Wyoming...but I refuse to leave!

I've been allergic to Montana for years, things grow here that never did in Wyoming...but I refuse to leave!

Meanwhile, I would pack up and move back to OH in a heartbeat. Kids still live there. 'nuff said...
t23124.gif

My 3.5-year-old daughter is more emotional right now than any human being I've ever seen. She has been the easy one since birth. She was a very happy baby, usually only cried when she actually needed something. Every major trouble spot that most parents talk about was easier than we could possibly have hoped for. She's had her behavior problems and is far from perfect, but she's been about as easy as any kid could be. Up until recently, her "temper tantrums" consisted of 3-5 minutes of solid crying, occasionally a holler or two, and twice she screamed a single, brief scream. Over the past couple months they've gotten worse, included more yelling and longer crying bouts and she has gotten more dramatic. In short, she's become a more normal 3.5 year old.

Suddenly, last week, she got drastically worse. She cries, genuine, intense crying for anywhere from ten to 50 minutes, usually 5-10 times daily. She doesn't want to go to the baby-sitter's anymore (the girls are there in the overlap between mine and my husband's work schedules, usually 5-10 hours a week, since my schedule fluctuates). She doesn't want to go to church anymore. She doesn't want to go to the store. Once we're any of those places she doesn't want to go home. She doesn't want to play right now! She doesn't want to eat right now! She doesn't want to wash her hands after using the toilet. She definitely doesn't want to go to bed. She used to fuss occasionally at bed time for a couple minutes. Every night over the past couple weeks she melts down, crying for anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes. Sometimes I can comfort her, sometimes she's inconsolable. All of the above-mentioned, as well as many other miscellaneous daily activities, induce bouts of crying. It was easier to take when she was being obstinate. She's just upset now. We usually ask her to go sit on her bed and calm down until she's ready to come back out, unless it's a time-sensitive issue like the baby-sitter's. Some things, like washing her hands, she has to do first and then go sit on her bed. If the crying is in response to a necessary task (eating, cleaning up her toys, etc.) she has to do it whenever she has calmed down.
The babysitter said that today she was crying when she came, calmed down quickly, and was fine for the first 45 minutes. Then she went to the toilet, and suddenly, in the middle of washing her hands, she started crying. After many attempts to figure out what was wrong, she ended up sitting on the couch crying for over an hour. Every time she'd start to get calmed down and the sitter tried to talk to her again, she'd start up all over again.
I am really at a loss here. I know that kids go through these phases, but I don't know how parents survive them. This is frustrating and heartbreaking and infuriating and endearing and maddening all rolled into one. The 1.5-year-old is starting to avoid her. She is especially intense when she's being separated from one or both of us. The kids entertain each other so well most of the time, DH and I have realized that we don't spend a lot of time interacting with them in free time any more. We interact at meal times and bed time, etc, but we haven't been playing with them nearly as much as we used to. We're making a concerted effort to play with them more, read and talk with them more, because we feel like maybe she's trying to get our attention. It's a tricky business though. We don't want her to connect cry-all-the-time with get-more-attention-from-Mommy-and-Daddy, so we're trying not to reward the crying with more attention, but rather give her more attention when she is behaving and when she seems to be trying extra hard to keep calm. But there's that thing in my brain that says, "she's sad. Comfort her." I do sometimes, typically when she's upset that she's being separated from us. You know, "I'll be back to get you very soon. You can play and have fun and then when I come get you we'll play and read books..." but this is just so confusing. I don't know, I just hope we can figure this out. I want my little girl to be happy! Not spoiled-happy, but loved, secure, and adaptable-happy!

Oh my Sprout, that must be so hard to take, knowing something is bothering her and you don't know what.

I hope you and your DH figure this out and are able to get her back to being a normal, sweet 3 1/2 year old.

Hope it passes for your sake Sprout. You have all my sympathy. Daniel started acting out like that at about the same age, he's almost 6 and nothing has changed.
I've tried everything.

I, too, would say take her to the doctor if you haven't done so already. Make sure that there's not a physical problem. Other than that, we're thinking of you! Not that it helps!

Back
Top Bottom