"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #2341
Master Chef

I'm not so much a collector, but DH is... he can't throw away all his agricultual journal and car magazine... there is still the chance he must look up any comparisons in five years.
Worst is, he can tell you in which one he will find what...

Every now and then I look throw and if I think it's not important, it lands in the paper bank ;o)

There is no need for me to collect boxes and bubble wrap, if I need some, I just take it home from work..

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #2342
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

The older I get the more I remind myself of my Mother, with her it was paper bags, nice little jars and egg cartons!

Pity the fool that inherits my vast holdings, mwa-ha-ha-ha!

I do the jars. I keep saurkraut jars because they are perfect for when I make soup to give away. And I also save small olive and pickle jars because at Easter I make beet horseradish and everyone wants a jar to take home. I hate to give them Ball canning jars because they never return them.

What did your mother do with the egg cartons? I think some people use them for craft projects and some people who make jewelry keep beads etc in them.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #2343
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I do the jars. I keep saurkraut jars because they are perfect for when I make soup to give away. And I also save small olive and pickle jars because at Easter I make beet horseradish and everyone wants a jar to take home. I hate to give them Ball canning jars because they never return them.

What did your mother do with the egg cartons?
I think some people use them for craft projects and some people who make jewelry keep beads etc in them.
Craft projects with her gang of old girlfriends.

She used to get upset with me because I did not want wreaths made out of computer punch cards, angels made out of old Readers Digests, plastic crosses made out of Styrofoam egg cartons etc...

Crafts make me twitch!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #2344
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Hubby gets after me for popping the bubble wrap. Not because he was going to save it, because I sometimes forget to share.
AAAAAAAAAA The "Lay's" syndrome .... You can't pop just one.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #2345
Executive Chef

Quote:

She used to get upset with me because I did not want wreaths made out of computer punch cards, angels made out of old Readers Digests, plastic crosses made out of Styrofoam egg cartons etc...

Crafts make me twitch!

Oh, I forgot all about the wreaths made out of computer punch cards. I rarely do crafts, but one year a friend got me into making carts out of clothespins, filling them with styrofoam and artificial poinsettias. I thought they were beautiful and gave them to all the family members.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #2346
Master Chef

I tie flies. Is that a craft, or do I need to cut off the hook points and turn them into earrings first.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #2347
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:

Crafts make me twitch!
I caught the end of a show last night where a woman was showing "crafts" that could be given as gifts. One project was taking blank cds and gluing felt "feet" to them to use as coasters. No I'm not joking, just 4 tiny felt pads on a blank cd, 4 of them wrapped up with a red ribbon.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #2348
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

Crafts make me twitch!
At least you don't have to worry about computer punch cards any more.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #2349
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I tried to have that problem, but just didn't have the room, so I finally learned to use the trash can. Yep, I'd find a use for that box or bubble wrap within a day or so, but I'd have to just go out and get some. PITA? Yes!, but it keeps my apartment clutter free and I do love to shop, so I get to do one of my favorite things (shop) and still keep my apartment from becoming a hoarder's nightmare. LOL
I have a large white cabinet that I keep all my craft stuff in. And at the bottom are two drawers where my sheets and other linens go. I have never been one to pile stuff on top of other furniture. So on top of that cabinet I have stupid knick knacks that have been given to me as presents. They always require dusting. I finally gave up and just let them collect dust.

In the kitchen, there is no way I can reach the top shelves in the cabinet. So what I save are those pasta sauce jars that look like Mason jars. They are stored up there. I have to ask Spike to get one down when I need it. I only have about five of them. It is all I need to use for the fudge sauce I make for a couple of folks who ask for it. I keep telling them to bring back the ones that are empty, but I am talking to an empty brain. It is the only thing I save. My extra grocery bags go to the food bank.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #2350
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Oh, I save jars that I actually will use, especially small ones for salad dressing or spice mixes. When I said my mum saved jars, I was talking about every glass jar that came in the house, cupboards and boxes full of them, that she didn't use, and empty booze bottles. I also saved every jar from Classico. Those are canning jars and the lids are great. So much nicer to use a regular jar lid on an opened canning jar than those two piece lids. I don't buy Classico pasta sauces anymore, 'cause they have soy oil and I'm not supposed to have unfermented soy.