"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #2361
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm updating Kasperski Internet Security. What a pain in the patooty. It kept telling me that the database files were not up to date. Hmmm, I have this on automatic update. I click the button to update now and it starts the download. It finishes and tells me it isn't up to date. I do this several times and then start looking at useless help files. I look at the "knowledge base". It says that for update problems I have to scan the computer. It says to download a rescue disk. I look at the link that says what the rescue disk is. It's for when a computer is so infected that it won't boot properly - not really my case. Sounds a little overkill.

I look at the software and it says it did a scan five hours ago. I scan again. I notice that all the info refers to Kasperski Internet Security 2014 and I have 2013. I look at updating the software (I still have 6 months on my subscription) and it says I am entitled to update the software if my license is still valid, but I will need the key. I look for the key and find it, but I can't copy and paste it. I have to look at 36 character long key and copy it manually. grrr

I downloaded KIS 2014 and am now downloading the new users manual. It's a PDF. They set it up so I have to load the PDF in my browser and then download it. I can't just right click and "save link as". It's big. It took a long time to load the PDF in my browser.
Oh, I don't envy you Taxy. When ever I do updates something invariably goes wrong. Either a missing file or I get the message "could not complete download" with no explanation as to why. Thankfully my ISP has McAfee included free.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #2362
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Oh, I don't envy you Taxy. When ever I do updates something invariably goes wrong. Either a missing file or I get the message "could not complete download" with no explanation as to why. Thankfully my ISP has McAfee included free.
I used Norton a long time ago and at first, I really liked it. Then it started to be a huge memory hog and slowed down my machine. I think there was something else I didn't like. I got McAfee and really liked it for a while. Eventually found it to be too much of a PITA. I used AVG for quite a while. I heard good stuff about Kaspersky from geeky friends. I don't hate it yet.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #2363
Chef Extraordinaire

Poo always asks me, "Ma what do you want for......? This year I wanted a cover for my KA. So I went looking. Only Chefs Catalog had them in blue and it was only $19.99. Sears wanted almost $58.00. The prices were all over the place. And one place had it in plastic. What's with that. In six months it would be dry, cracked and brittle. And it cost more than some of the others. The KA site doesn't show the price until you place the order. They will never get my business.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #2364
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Poo always asks me, "Ma what do you want for......? This year I wanted a cover for my KA. So I went looking. Only Chefs Catalog had them in blue and it was only $19.99. Sears wanted almost $58.00. The prices were all over the place. And one place had it in plastic. What's with that. In six months it would be dry, cracked and brittle. And it cost more than some of the others. The KA site doesn't show the price until you place the order. They will never get my business.
It pays to shop around. Rob wanted a book for Christmas, there was a seller on Amazon (not amazon itself) that had it available for $50 used, I got it from a good rated eBay seller for $25 shipped, brand new!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #2365
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
It pays to shop around. Rob wanted a book for Christmas, there was a seller on Amazon (not amazon itself) that had it available for $50 used, I got it from a good rated eBay seller for $25 shipped, brand new!
For most of us Amazon is our first 'go to' site when we are looking for a certain item. I could have sent the information for ordering it through Amazon, but they in turn send the info to Chef's Catalog. Same price. But with a new law in place, my son would have had to pay the sales price for our state. It wouldn't have amounted to much, by why do it the hard way. So instead I went straight to Chef's Catalog and sent the ordering info to my son. Five dollars saved and still in his pocket.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:37 AM   #2366
Chef Extraordinaire

We went in to town to meet friends for Chinese food. It was really good and we had a good time. When we got home, I discovered that I couldn't find my keys. I checked all through my purse. I hardly ever keep my keys in my purse, but it was worth checking. No luck. I keep keys in my coat pocket.

Car keys, house key, safety deposit key. Dang. The remote for the car is going to be expensive to replace. The safety deposit key won't be cheap. Even replacing the house key will be a PITA, 'cause we have an extra secure lock.

We don't seem to have a spare house key anymore. I do have a valet key for the car and Stirling has a car key, but no remote. I am not a happy camper.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #2367
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh Tax, I hate it when this happens. You didn't happen to leave it in the door when you got home?
Old 12-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #2368
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We went in to town to meet friends for Chinese food. It was really good and we had a good time. When we got home, I discovered that I couldn't find my keys. I checked all through my purse. I hardly ever keep my keys in my purse, but it was worth checking. No luck. I keep keys in my coat pocket.

Car keys, house key, safety deposit key. Dang. The remote for the car is going to be expensive to replace. The safety deposit key won't be cheap. Even replacing the house key will be a PITA, 'cause we have an extra secure lock.

We don't seem to have a spare house key anymore. I do have a valet key for the car and Stirling has a car key, but no remote. I am not a happy camper.
Have you called the bus company and the restaurant? Maybe someone found them and turned them in.

About the car key, you can buy them CHEAP on eBay and program them yourself. I did this last summer: $15 for two keys and programming instructions.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #2369
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh Tax, I hate it when this happens. You didn't happen to leave it in the door when you got home?
Well, that's a good place to look, but I couldn't find them when I was going to unlock the door when we got home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Have you called the bus company and the restaurant? Maybe someone found them and turned them in.

About the car key, you can buy them CHEAP on eBay and program them yourself. I did this last summer: $15 for two keys and programming instructions.
I phoned the resto. I'll phone the public transit lost and found when they are open tomorrow.

Thanks for reminding me about eBay. I think you mentioned that before. But, I still need a key for the ignition. Stirling has one (broken keyless entry part) and I have a valet key. I should be okay until I get replacement. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the key has to be cut and I think it has to be done by Volvo. This isn't a new car, it's a 2005.

I found instructions at ehow.com on how to program the keyless entry. I am checking on the BrickBoard (Volvo owners forum).

I did get lucky with this. Stirling had planned to go to a party after the dinner. When we were heading to the metro (Montreal's subway system), he decided to come home with me. If he hadn't, I would have been locked out, in the cold and snow. He would have had to rush home and still missed the party. It would have taken him at least an hour to get home and maybe longer because of the weather.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #2370
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me about eBay. I think you mentioned that before. But, I still need a key for the ignition. Stirling has one (broken keyless entry part) and I have a valet key. I should be okay until I get replacement. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the key has to be cut and I think it has to be done by Volvo. This isn't a new car, it's a 2005.
I'm not sure what a valet key is. My remote entry key unlocks the vehicle and starts the engine. I don't know if its different with Volvo. Mine is a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid.

I'm glad you didn't get stuck outside!