"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #2411
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
GG, I started thinking about the caffeine. It helps a lot of people with migraines. Now, my headache wasn't so bad that I would call it a migraine. Then I remembered that I was having a visual migraine, so maybe it was a migraine headache. I drank another allongé and it did the trick. The Kodimagnyl had dulled the headache to mild and the caffeine wiped away the rest of it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Good, I'm glad it worked. Btw, I wasn't suggesting a caffeine withdrawal headache; you had said the medication you received was the wrong one and didn't have caffeine in it. So I thought if you got caffeine another way, it might help. But I'm sure you were feeling too icky to see it that way. So I'm glad you thought about it some more and got relief.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #2412
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Caffeine also increases the speed with which the pain medicine is absorbed and distributed. That's why it is in pain medications. So if you don't have the caffeine, it takes longer to get relief.
I didn't know that was the reason. Learn something every day.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #2413
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Caffeine also increases the speed with which the pain medicine is absorbed and distributed. That's why it is in pain medications. So if you don't have the caffeine, it takes longer to get relief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I didn't know that was the reason. Learn something every day.
In codeine and ASA (aspirin) medication it is also in there to keep you from getting too drowsy.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #2414
Head Chef

TL--
"In codeine and ASA (aspirin) medication it is also in there to keep you from getting too drowsy."

But what if I WANT to go to sleep? (grin)
Old 12-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #2415
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
TL--
"In codeine and ASA (aspirin) medication it is also in there to keep you from getting too drowsy."

But what if I WANT to go to sleep? (grin)
You live in the US, don't you? You need a 'script for that. Tell your doctor that you want to be able to sleep when she/he is writing the 'script. BTW, I have never found it to be a problem, but I sleep easily. I think it just counters the drowsiness that codeine induces.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #2416
Head Chef

Quote:
You live in the US, don't you? You need a 'script for that. Tell your doctor that you want to be able to sleep when she/he is writing the 'script. BTW, I have never found it to be a problem, but I sleep easily. I think it just counters the drowsiness that codeine induces.
Yes, I live in the U.S.----- but my response was tongue in cheek.

I envy you being able to sleep easily. I never had a problem with sleep until (I can name the time and date) when insomnia hit with a vengeance!) But it was the result of undiagnosed Lyme disease, complete with night terrors.

After trying everything for over a year or so---- I finally went to Stanford Sleep Clinic and they put me on their sleep hygiene program. No drugs------ just a brutal, brutal behavior reprogramming that isn't for everyone, just for those who think they're going to die from insomnia! And starting treatment for Lyme helped too.

O.K., TMI.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #2417
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yes, I live in the U.S.----- but my response was tongue in cheek.

I envy you being able to sleep easily. I never had a problem with sleep until (I can name the time and date) when insomnia hit with a vengeance!) But it was the result of undiagnosed Lyme disease, complete with night terrors.

After trying everything for over a year or so---- I finally went to Stanford Sleep Clinic and they put me on their sleep hygiene program. No drugs------ just a brutal, brutal behavior reprogramming that isn't for everyone, just for those who think they're going to die from insomnia! And starting treatment for Lyme helped too.

O.K., TMI.
Yeah, I realized it was tongue in cheek, but I was being a smart arse.

Sorry to hear about the insomnia and Lyme disease. Is the Lyme disease cured now?
Old 12-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #2418
Head Chef

Lyme disease is rarely 'cured' unless the person gets treated aggressively in the first few weeks. The best we usually get are remissions. Which, ain't chopped liver. But they can disappear at the blink of an eye.

My insomnia is mostly gone, because I still pay attention to sleep hygiene. Occasionally an Ambien but not often.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #2419
Master Chef

As a life-long insomniac I envy anyone who sleeps when they want to and not when they don't. It isn't unusual to be drowsing off in the middle of the afternoon and wide awake at 3 a.m. Oh, well, we all have our crosses to bear!
Old 12-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #2420
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I placed an order with my local pharmacy for some groceries and otc medications and vitamins. They arrived after about 2 hours. They sent me Bayer Aspirin Brand of low dose daily use ASA, instead of the AC&C (ASA=acetylsalicylic acid=Canadian for aspirin, codeine, and caffeine). Ack! I had gone over that item several times.

I phoned and told them. They said the delivery wouldn't be very soon and might not be 'til tomorrow. I said our headaches were today. Okay, not soon, maybe two hours. Two hours is okay.

I still had 4 Kodimagnyl from a packet I bought in Denmark. Same idea, but no caffeine. I had to take two. That headache I have had in the background for several hours jumped to full fledged, in your face, foreground headache. They better get it right this time. They better not send me the ones with acetaminophen instead of ASA. I made that clear. Because, the ones with acetaminophen don't work on me.
I remember when acetaminophen first came out. I was pregnant with my fourth child, The Pirate. Everyone was singing it praises. Of course you can't take aspirin when you are pregnant. A fact the medical field already knew. I was getting headaches constantly and the pharmacist gave me a handful of the acetaminophen pills. My new miracle drug. But over the years they are finding more and more about the drug. Alcohol and Tylenol are so damaging to the liver. But what it comes down to is that each person has to really pay attention to what works for them while being mindful of the side effects that are known. Like you, I prefer aspirin. It has been the miracle drug that they discovered more than 100 years ago. "Take two and call me in the morning" is still sound advice. Aspirin works so much better for me than the acetaminophen. And it is better for my heart. My liver also thanks me.