"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #2421
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Yes, I live in the U.S.----- but my response was tongue in cheek.

I envy you being able to sleep easily. I never had a problem with sleep until (I can name the time and date) when insomnia hit with a vengeance!) But it was the result of undiagnosed Lyme disease, complete with night terrors.

After trying everything for over a year or so---- I finally went to Stanford Sleep Clinic and they put me on their sleep hygiene program. No drugs------ just a brutal, brutal behavior reprogramming that isn't for everyone, just for those who think they're going to die from insomnia! And starting treatment for Lyme helped too.

O.K., TMI.

I found this online...think it's your sleep hygiene program. The only thing I disagree with is the last one. I think the partner should be the one to go sleep on the couch for a few nights. LOL

http://med.stanford.edu/pedsanesthes...ep_hygiene.pdf

Old 12-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #2422
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
As a life-long insomniac I envy anyone who sleeps when they want to and not when they don't. It isn't unusual to be drowsing off in the middle of the afternoon and wide awake at 3 a.m. Oh, well, we all have our crosses to bear!
I have no trouble getting to sleep, I just can't sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night. Some of my children are the same way. My DH can sleep in front of the TV at night and sleep for 2 or 3 hours and then go to bed at 10 and sleep for another 8 hours. Lucky him.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #2423
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I have no trouble getting to sleep, I just can't sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night. Some of my children are the same way. My DH can sleep in front of the TV at night and sleep for 2 or 3 hours and then go to bed at 10 and sleep for another 8 hours. Lucky him.
I saw this article earlier this year and found it fascinating. The 8-hour sleep cycle we think of as normal may not be: http://slumberwise.com/science/your-...leep-like-you/
Old 12-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #2424
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I saw this article earlier this year and found it fascinating. The 8-hour sleep cycle we think of as normal may not be: Your Ancestors Didn
Maybe I am an old soul.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #2425
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I saw this article earlier this year and found it fascinating. The 8-hour sleep cycle we think of as normal may not be: Your Ancestors Didn
You beat me to it. I was going to post a link about two sleeps, but you already had one, so I didn't need to search. Thank you.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #2426
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I found this online...think it's your sleep hygiene program. The only thing I disagree with is the last one. I think the partner should be the one to go sleep on the couch for a few nights. LOL

http://med.stanford.edu/pedsanesthes...ep_hygiene.pdf
Since we were sleeping separately anyway (his insomnia, which wasn't as bad as mine, but enough to disturb me before I had insomnia) that wasn't a problem.

That list you sent me is the bare bones of what the Dr. at Stanford put me on!
As I said, mine was brutal but I persevered and after about 6 months I was sleeping much much better.

The list you found is certainly a good one to try for those with 'average' insomnia.

The electric light bulb is said to be the worst invention for good sleep.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #2427
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I placed an order with my local pharmacy for some groceries and otc medications and vitamins. They arrived after about 2 hours. They sent me Bayer Aspirin Brand of low dose daily use ASA, instead of the AC&C (ASA=acetylsalicylic acid=Canadian for aspirin, codeine, and caffeine). Ack! I had gone over that item several times.

I phoned and told them. They said the delivery wouldn't be very soon and might not be 'til tomorrow. I said our headaches were today. Okay, not soon, maybe two hours. Two hours is okay.

I still had 4 Kodimagnyl from a packet I bought in Denmark. Same idea, but no caffeine. I had to take two. That headache I have had in the background for several hours jumped to full fledged, in your face, foreground headache. They better get it right this time. They better not send me the ones with acetaminophen instead of ASA. I made that clear. Because, the ones with acetaminophen don't work on me.
Now that's interesting. Acetaminophen (aka paracetamol in the UK) doesn't work on me either but whenever I have to tell any medical personnel they laugh and say that of course it works.

The more I read of the health trials and tribulations that DC people have I thank goodness I'm as healthy as I am and don't have to rely on "serious" meds.

Hope all the Christmas invalids are feeling better now and prayers for Addie's daughter.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #2428
Head Chef

MadCook said:
"The more I read of the health trials and tribulations that DC people have I thank goodness I'm as healthy as I am and don't have to rely on "serious" meds."

That's very wise! Appreciate your good health because being involved in the medical communities teaches us we have to advocate for ourselves because doctors/hospitals don't always. It ain't pretty, what I could say here but won't.

Oh, and for those who do have great doctors-----they ARE around and you're lucky to have them.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #2429
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am a nurse and am beset by nurses who do not listen to the patient. It's maddening. Shrek is going to write on the backs of my hands, "No Needles" I have very good veins on both arms they can pick on and I'm happy to show them where they are.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #2430
Executive Chef

I have no problem falling asleep. I am usually asleep in 5 minutes or less. But I wake up around 2-3AM and then I have a very difficult time falling back to sleep. For some reason, if I take Tylenol it helps me fall back to sleep. I don't know if it soothes minor aches and pain, but it just seems to relax me. I try to fall back to sleep without it because I don't want to take it every night. When I was in the hospital, they gave me Ambien to help me sleep, but I would still wake up around 3AM.

When I was in my 20's, I would fall asleep when my head hit the pillow and not wake up until the alarm clock woke me. The difference was that I slept alone back then. Sleeping with another person is hard, as if they toss and turn, you do too!