"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #2431
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I have no problem falling asleep. I am usually asleep in 5 minutes or less. But I wake up around 2-3AM and then I have a very difficult time falling back to sleep. For some reason, if I take Tylenol it helps me fall back to sleep. I don't know if it soothes minor aches and pain, but it just seems to relax me. I try to fall back to sleep without it because I don't want to take it every night. When I was in the hospital, they gave me Ambien to help me sleep, but I would still wake up around 3AM.

When I was in my 20's, I would fall asleep when my head hit the pillow and not wake up until the alarm clock woke me. The difference was that I slept alone back then. Sleeping with another person is hard, as if they toss and turn, you do too!
The husband and I realized very early on that we were compatible in just about every way except sleeping. We were lucky to find a townhouse with two master bedrooms on the top floor. We both sleep very well now. We also have our own bathrooms so mine can be neat and his...

People seem really surprised that we have separate bedrooms, since we are so close. I think that it is the best thing for us. I felt terrible about it at first, because society says couples should sleep together, but I got over it!
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #2432
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

People seem really surprised that we have separate bedrooms, since we are so close. I think that it is the best thing for us. I felt terrible about it at first, because society says couples should sleep together, but I got over it!
I would go for that but DH wouldn't. He's very traditional. When I was still working, I went to bed long before he did and that's when I got my best sleep, until he came to bed. I know many people who sleep separately but get along great otherwise.
__________________

__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #2433
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
A lot of older couple opt for twin beds. At first they are pushed together, then when the wife forgets to push them after making the beds in the morning, they seem to stay that way. And both are happy.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #2434
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,341
SO and I have slept in separate rooms for a few years now. I snore and she flops around like a fish in a boat so it's a good thing. We both sleep better this way.

That doesn't mean I sleep great, just better and with no guilt for keeping her awake.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #2435
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Twin beds pushed together are OK because you don't feel it when your partner is moving around. We have a Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed and each side has it's own "mattress" so you don't get as much movement, but DH doesn't know how to stay on his own side.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #2436
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Twin beds pushed together are OK because you don't feel it when your partner is moving around. We have a Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed and each side has it's own "mattress" so you don't get as much movement, but DH doesn't know how to stay on his own side.

We had an old auctioneer in our area and when he sold a pair of twin beds he would always say "Twin beds, what am I bid, one is as good as new!"
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #2437
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I have no problem falling asleep. I am usually asleep in 5 minutes or less. But I wake up around 2-3AM and then I have a very difficult time falling back to sleep. For some reason, if I take Tylenol it helps me fall back to sleep. I don't know if it soothes minor aches and pain, but it just seems to relax me. I try to fall back to sleep without it because I don't want to take it every night. When I was in the hospital, they gave me Ambien to help me sleep, but I would still wake up around 3AM.

When I was in my 20's, I would fall asleep when my head hit the pillow and not wake up until the alarm clock woke me. The difference was that I slept alone back then. Sleeping with another person is hard, as if they toss and turn, you do too!
Carol, I was advised some years ago by my doctor that the scenario of having no problems falling asleep at bed time but waking in the night and being unable to go back off is one of the symptoms of clinical depression. It might be worth mentioning it when you next have to see the quack. (I am not a medical professional - just repeating what I've been told.)
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #2438
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
The husband and I realized very early on that we were compatible in just about every way except sleeping. We were lucky to find a townhouse with two master bedrooms on the top floor. We both sleep very well now. We also have our own bathrooms so mine can be neat and his...

People seem really surprised that we have separate bedrooms, since we are so close. I think that it is the best thing for us. I felt terrible about it at first, because society says couples should sleep together, but I got over it!
It used to be (I don't know if it still is) that the upper classes always had separate bedrooms. Apparently, when it came out in society circles that Queen Victoria and Prince Albert shared a bed, they were thought very odd. (Not surprising she had 9 children - she obviously wasn't a straight-laced as "they" would like us to think)
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #2439
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Twin beds pushed together are OK because you don't feel it when your partner is moving around. We have a Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed and each side has it's own "mattress" so you don't get as much movement, but DH doesn't know how to stay on his own side.
We had a king size bed. Then we moved into this house. The movers could not get the mattress up through the stairwell so they "folded" my king size mattress

The end result was a trashed mattress

So we went to replace it and decided on 2 extra long twin mattresses so they could go up the stairwell without being folded.

The result is astonishing. We no longer feel the other one tossing or getting out of bed. The mattress has held its shape in that there is zero sagging and it's been 5 years. I think it is because it is a smaller area. Anyway .. I wish we had done this years ago.

Sorry to hear about your sleeping woes .. my DH has the same problem .. it's tough to deal with.
__________________
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #2440
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Carol, I was advised some years ago by my doctor that the scenario of having no problems falling asleep at bed time but waking in the night and being unable to go back off is one of the symptoms of clinical depression. It might be worth mentioning it when you next have to see the quack. (I am not a medical professional - just repeating what I've been told.)
I've heard that also. But I want to caution people about getting a diagnosis of depression that will follow you everywhere. That 'depression' label could be latched on to by a doctor who isn't willing to look elsewhere for any reason for ANY symptom you have.

And some anti-depressant meds can be horridly resistant to being stopped. Sometimes almost impossible.

If a person has primary depression (vs secondary) then perhaps an anti-depressant is a good thing for them people. I won't comment on that. But here's the definition of 'depression'.

Symptoms
According to the American Psychiatric Associate's manual, the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders--Fourth Edition), a diagnosis of depression is made when "You have had an episode of depression lasting at least two weeks with at least five of the following symptoms: (1) You are depressed, sad, blue, tearful. (2) You have lost interest or pleasure in things you previously liked to do. (3) Your appetite is much less or much greater than usual and you have lost or gained weight. (4) You have a lot of trouble sleeping or sleep too much. (5) You are so agitated, restless, or slowed down that others have begun to notice. (6) You are tired and have no energy. (7) You feel worthless or excessively guilty about things you have done or not done. (8) You have trouble concentrating, thinking clearly, or making decisions. (9) You feel you would be better off dead or have thoughts about killing yourself."


Sorry for the buzz-kill just before a holiday----- and meaning no disrespect to people who pass on information about sleep and depression but think twice before letting a doctor hang the label of depression on you. Please.
__________________

__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.