"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #2471
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
+1, well said, Vit!

And Addie, sure hope the Pirate feels better soon, and that you don't get what he has!
I am the one who always takes care of the ones with the flu. For some strange reason I just don't get it. Never have. I don't even get the flu shot. The Pirate is resting mostly.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #2472
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
In hindsight, I should have run out the front door holding my neck, It might have lightened up the mood!
You got whiplash turning so fast to see what the "BANG" was...

Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #2473
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Well, after finishing the vacation laundry, it is obvious that DH needs to be much more closely monitored when he packs. No man needs 15 tshirts, 8 pairs of shorts, 7 swim trunks, 3 polo shirts, and 3 pairs of shoes. For a 12 day tropical vacation. And he didn't even wear most of the stuff. No wonder the suitcase was so heavy! My "hers" laundry pile was about 1/4th the height of the "his" laundry pile.

From now on, he will be limited to a small rollaboard, we will only check the bag with the snorkel equipment.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #2474
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
In hindsight, I should have run out the front door holding my neck, It might have lightened up the mood!

There ya go---- neck injury by proxy!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #2475
Head Chef

Quote:
Well, after finishing the vacation laundry, it is obvious that DH needs to be much more closely monitored when he packs. No man needs 15 tshirts, 8 pairs of shorts, 7 swim trunks, 3 polo shirts, and 3 pairs of shoes. For a 12 day tropical vacation. And he didn't even wear most of the stuff. No wonder the suitcase was so heavy! My "hers" laundry pile was about 1/4th the height of the "his" laundry pile.

From now on, he will be limited to a small rollaboard, we will only check the bag with the snorkel equipment.
It's usually the opposite--- the woman takes everything she owns and the man doesn't even remember the toothbrush.

I read something once about how to pack/plan for a vacation.
Take half the amount of clothes and twice the amount of money.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #2476
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

It's usually the opposite--- the woman takes everything she owns and the man doesn't even remember the toothbrush.

I read something once about how to pack/plan for a vacation.
Take half the amount of clothes and twice the amount of money.
DH is quite the clothes horse, 15 gray t shirts....he claims he's gotten better at packing over the years....
Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #2477
Certified Pretend Chef

We go on a tropical vacation every year. We started out with my taking a garment bag ans SO taking two suitcases, one of which was the size of Rhode Island. Over the years I got her to cut down to one suitcase and then to a smaller size. I still get a request occasionally to carry something in my garment bag for her. I heard her on the phone last night telling her girlfriend she brings clothes home that she never wore.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #2478
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH's packing has gotten ridiculous, thankfully, I carry a little scale to weigh the suitcases, and they were both just under 50 pounds. Airport scales are not regularily calibrated, and often overweigh, to the tune of charging folks an extra 100 bucks if over 50. In which case, many gray t shirts would have had to be left behind.

I buy dishsoap, and use it to wash out clothing in our hotel so I don't take as much stuff. There are also perfectly good laundromats near where we stay.

I want to get us to the point of only needing the rollaboards, except for the snorkel equipment and skins.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 AM   #2479
Master Chef

We rarely fly. The last time was for two weeks to CA; Himself had a one-week class through work, then he took a week's vacation so we could explore. When he said I could take two suitcases and they couldn't weigh more than 50 pounds I thought he meant for the both of them! I managed to get two weeks of stuff (including three down pillows) into those two full-size suitcases for a total of 68 pound! Started to week stuff out, then he said it was 50# per suitcase. I was golden.

Now when we travel (we almost always drive) I still take two suitcases - two carry-on size! I do use a suit bag (like what the tailor sends your suit home in) to carry my tops on hangers, but if push came to shove I could get them into the small bags. And I do wear every item of clothing that I take.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #2480
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
DH's packing has gotten ridiculous, thankfully, I carry a little scale to weigh the suitcases, and they were both just under 50 pounds. Airport scales are not regularily calibrated, and often overweigh, to the tune of charging folks an extra 100 bucks if over 50. In which case, many gray t shirts would have had to be left behind.

I buy dishsoap, and use it to wash out clothing in our hotel so I don't take as much stuff. There are also perfectly good laundromats near where we stay.

I want to get us to the point of only needing the rollaboards, except for the snorkel equipment and skins.
We've gotten to the point where we pack less and less every time. For a week we can pack one medium suitcase to share, and each have a backpack. If we aren't flying we sometimes each bring a suitcase, just for the extra room.

A couple years ago we went to Disney, we took my car. 4 adults in a compact car, and all our luggage! We each packed a duffle bag and a backpack. Our friends each had a suitcase. On the trip home after being there a week, the trunk was full to the point that when you opened it, the contents were the exact shape of the trunk lid After we left to head to FL, my friend, who suggested that I drive (he didn't want to drive all the way to FL after already driving from PA) thought "why didn't we just use my small SUV and have Michael drive?"

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote