"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #241
Assistant Cook

Location: I live right smack-dab in the middle of cajun country in South Louisiana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Did he look at the bottom? Is there a big shark with its mouth open painted there?
Considering we didn't even get a "bite" I may have to get DH to crawl underneath and take a look!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #242
Chef Extraordinaire

Petty Vent! Why do these mecial suppliers tout their glucometers as painless and you can test your sugar levels on your arm? Any doctor will tell you that the closer to the finger tip, the more accurate the results. For those who have Type 1 Diabetes, those false readings can be cause for the patient to be giving themselves the wrong dose. It is not false advertising. They don't claim that it is as or more accurate than a finger prick. Just not as painful. And it isn't.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #243
Chef Extraordinaire

Hoping today was much better for you CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
I do not want another day like today!!! Started out late for church. Later went to get a massage at mall. The Chinese guy who did my massage wasn't nearly as good as the guy I usually get. Went to my van, listened to the radio & ate a pretzel. Turned the ignition key & only got clicks. Called AAA & waited 30 minutes. Forgot to take phone off silent & missed 2 calls from AAA. Needed to go to school to get ready for a sub tomorrow but got to go to WalMart to get a new battery. Decided to get my oil changed while I'm there. WalMart has changed to Jiffy Lube instead of their own mechanics. It took 5 minutes just to get through the workorder process. He kept trying to sell me more services. That was just for the oil. I had to talk to someone else about the battery. I literally got the last battery that would fit my van. Of course it was the $100 one. Could have gotten one from AAA cheaper. Finally get everything installed & I think I'm about to get out of there when they tell me both license plate lights are out. Do I want to replace them so I don't get a ticket? They only cost $12 + tax each. Half of it is labor. Turned out they couldn't replace them because the internal clips were broken or missing & WalMart doesn't carry the clips. I have to call the dealer. I pay my $167 for an oil change & a battery & go back to my van. By this time I've lost any benefit from the $50 massage & I'm not in a very good mood. Reach my van only to find it unlocked with the window wide open after I made a point of saying I expect it to be locked whenever they aren't working on it. The only person who thought it was a problem was the girl who took my order but didn't do the work. Got to school. I was in the middle of printing some work for tomorrow when the printer decided to freeze. Took half an hour of fooling with it & finally giving up before it decided to work again. By then I had changed my plans. Got home to find the DVR was set for the wrong channel & I missed what I wanted to record. Can't watch online since school blocks ABC due to ads. Can't believe I'm wanting Monday to get here!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:37 AM   #244
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You have to pay extra for the "attractive to fish" option.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #245
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969
Hoping today was much better for you CC
Yesterday wasn't too bad. I got a lot done. I have a headache today with 2 causes: a student doing his best to find himself in ISS & a 3piece rock band in a very small cafeteria with a decibel level way above safe levels. Standing with your mouth next to someone's ear, you still had to yell for them to barely understand you. I complained to the 2 people in charge but they didn't think it was a problem. I finally went to an administrator & yelled loud enough that he understood me. He had them turn the volume down slightly. He still had to write notes to students to tell them they had detention tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #246
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
Yesterday wasn't too bad. I got a lot done. I have a headache today with 2 causes: a student doing his best to find himself in ISS & a 3piece rock band in a very small cafeteria with a decibel level way above safe levels. Standing with your mouth next to someone's ear, you still had to yell for them to barely understand you. I complained to the 2 people in charge but they didn't think it was a problem. I finally went to an administrator & yelled loud enough that he understood me. He had them turn the volume down slightly. He still had to write notes to students to tell them they had detention tomorrow.
I find that when I am in a situation like that, I just move my lips and nothing comes out of my mouth. Either they other person thinks they are going deaf or the music is too loud. A few quizzical looks from me saying "Can't you hear me?" Works every time. The music gets turned down real quick.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #247
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I find that when I am in a situation like that, I just move my lips and nothing comes out of my mouth. Either they other person thinks they are going deaf or the music is too loud. A few quizzical looks from me saying "Can't you hear me?" Works every time. The music gets turned down real quick.
Hahahahaha!!! You clearly don't work with adolescents. They don't give a rip if they can hear YOU at all.

My petty vent is...its SNOWING.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #248
Certified Cake Maniac

My petty vent is I couldn't find the regular venting thread!

But really, this fits here - once I get it done it will be out of my mind....at least for another month!

I have to have another fight with my Dad's bank today over yet another matter that was "resolved" a month ago and mucked up as usual. I will be so glad when this is all over. It is frustrating in two ways - one that it makes my grieving difficult and two that my Dad was with that bank for around 50 years and he prided himself on keeping his finances in order. I shudder to think how he would feel about how difficult they are making it on my sister and I.

Okay, one more cup of tea and I am ready to call!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #249
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Hahahahaha!!! You clearly don't work with adolescents. They don't give a rip if they can hear YOU at all.

My petty vent is...its SNOWING.
For me that is a major vent!

Right now my petty vent is that my cardio doctor will not approve surgey for my eyes. My BP was 73 over 42. By the time I was ready to leave it was up to 85. He took me off all BP medication. GRRRR!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #250
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier
My petty vent is I couldn't find the regular venting thread!

But really, this fits here - once I get it done it will be out of my mind....at least for another month!

I have to have another fight with my Dad's bank today over yet another matter that was "resolved" a month ago and mucked up as usual. I will be so glad when this is all over. It is frustrating in two ways - one that it makes my grieving difficult and two that my Dad was with that bank for around 50 years and he prided himself on keeping his finances in order. I shudder to think how he would feel about how difficult they are making it on my sister and I.

Okay, one more cup of tea and I am ready to call!
I hope things went better for you this time. It is so sad that you have to go through this. I wish I were closer to enjoy a cup of tea with you. It would be nice if you and your sister could just have a cup of tea and talk about wonderful memories.