"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #2491
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I also have a place I don't want to be this afternoon. At the surgeon's office for a consultation. It is for my gall bladder and possible surgery. Because of my heart, hopefully he will be reluctant to do the surgery.
Listen to what he has to say and make your own decision, Addy. They can't force you to have surgery.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #2492
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Listen to what he has to say and make your own decision, Addy. They can't force you to have surgery.
If I do decide, I will want to wait until spring. Right now is a bad time for it. I have a lot on my plate.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #2493
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
CG's "Mighty breezy in the car!" reminded me of my first car. It was a 1972 Chevy Nomad, a station wagon. I bought it for $200 in 1979. It was rusty. It was breezy all the time in that car. It was so rusty that I occasionally got hit by a salt pellet, inside the car, when driving it in winter.
You might like my stupid human trick I did (unintentionally!) to Himself when we were driving my van to our daughter last January. When we had to go over details of something I hopped into his car since it had heated seats (we were traveling in single-degree temps that year too). When trying to turn on the passenger reading light, somehow I managed to open the vent position on his sunroof. Since his inside cover is manual we didn't realize it was open. He could not figure why he could not get the car warmed up...until our next stop. That's when he noticed the roof vented. I'm still reminded of it. Fortunately he can't get back at me...my car's sunroof is fully automated!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #2494
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That is funny!!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #2495
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If I do decide, I will want to wait until spring. Right now is a bad time for it. I have a lot on my plate.
Well, just make sure that what's on your plate isn't greasy! I have heard that a lot of people have gall stones but they don't cause a problem until they start moving and end up in the duct. My husband had a bad gall bladder attack after a trip to the chiropractor. I guess all that twisting and turning got his gall stones moving. He was admitted to the hospital and they wanted to go in with something and dissolve the stones, but his pain went away and he said "Let me out of here!" and hasn't had a pain since. 20 years ago.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #2496
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Well, just make sure that what's on your plate isn't greasy! I have heard that a lot of people have gall stones but they don't cause a problem until they start moving and end up in the duct. My husband had a bad gall bladder attack after a trip to the chiropractor. I guess all that twisting and turning got his gall stones moving. He was admitted to the hospital and they wanted to go in with something and dissolve the stones, but his pain went away and he said "Let me out of here!" and hasn't had a pain since. 20 years ago.
Believe me, my frying pan is gathering dust and getting rusty. The odd thing is I have no desire for fried foods. I bought a pound of bacon and I will never get a piece of it. The Pirate will finish it off. And if not him, then Spike.

My two attacks were caused by grease. The first time it was Chinese food. When you think about it they stir fry all their foods. The second time was when I had a pizza with double cheese, and pools of olive oil floating on top mixed with all the oil from the cheese. Plus I had been munching on chunks of Mortadella all day that has pieces of lard throughout. No wonder I had an attack.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #2497
Certified Pretend Chef

Yesterday, SO's car was in the shop. She took my car so her sister and she could visit their brother in the hospital. SO called me from the road to tell me we are having dinner for eight tonight. Don't know what they want me to cook and I had no car to go shopping. So this morning I have my marching orders and I'm off to get some supplies. SO wants me to wait until she's finished making breakfast for her sister so she can go shopping with me. I'm not waiting.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #2498
Chef Extraordinaire

I can't say that I blame you Andy. I shop so much better when I am on my own. How about an "Everything" fritatta. One pan, easy cleanup. sautéed onions, peppers, crumbled bacon, diced boiled potatoes, petite peas, any other veggie you have on hand, leftover meats, a dozen eggs, etc. Baked in a large 12 inch sauté pan, finished under the broiler. Cut into pizza style slices. With a salad on the side, you have a meal that will feed the whole crowd.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #2499
Chef Extraordinaire

My daughter is planning this bash for me in March. It is turning into a hassle for me. I realize she is going to need help. But she does have a daughter that should be helping her. Not me. I had to provide all the addresses, reserve the room, provide the check for damages, (I get it back), and next will probably be she will want me to do the decorating. Hopefully, she is having it catered. If not, I am screwed. She will want me to do the cooking. If she orders catering, here we go again with more Italian food. From my least favorite place to order it from.

Do I sound ungrateful? I'm not. Just irritated at the whole idea. I have never been one for birthdays. I figure if you behave yourself and live right you will see a birthday next year. That is how it is supposed to be. I don't think reaching 75 yrs. is a big accomplishment. Reaching 175 is.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #2500
Executive Chef

Reaching 175 would be an accomplishment for me, and I'm not talking age! LOL

I think a birthday party should be a surprise. You should not have to do anything. It sounds like you're throwing a party for yourself!