"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #2551
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs))) Cat. That sure was some collection of unpleasant for one day.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #2552
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Those vans don't have hinged mirrors?? I've had two different Dodge Caravans, 1996 and 2003. They both had hinges on both the driver and passenger door mirrors. Something as simple as cutting in too close when pulling into the garage or clipping a garbage cart that rolled into the street would push it back. Not so loose that it would move it you just bumped it. Even my 2012 Hyundai Sonata has hinged mirrors, but they're real bears to move.
They do have hinged mirrors but they're only good for the reasons you stated.....to get extra clearance. But if you clip those mirrors while driving, even at 10mph, not only will they retract, they will also shatter.
I kept the damaged mirror assembly from the first incident and compared the damage with her latest incident. Nearly identical cracks, including the outer case molding.
These mirrors are pricey because the assembly includes electronics contained in each mirror such as the motor, turn indicator, and blind spot sensor. Plus, the casings need to match your vehicle color.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #2553
Master Chef

As far as optometrists vs opthalmologists go, at Kaiser, my wife can easily schedule an appt through her doc to see an opthalmologist at the same cost to her to see an optometrist. So perhaps this will save her time in the event that the opthalmologist does find something wrong with her vision.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #2554
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
As far as optometrists vs opthalmologists go, at Kaiser, my wife can easily schedule an appt through her doc to see an opthalmologist at the same cost to her to see an optometrist. So perhaps this will save her time in the event that the opthalmologist does find something wrong with her vision.
Are the ophthalmologists willing to prescribe corrective lenses? Mine isn't.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #2555
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Well my car won't be ready today, they found additional damage behind the bumper. I'm not really surprised, the car was hit hard enough to move it, I had a feeling that it was a bit more than superficial damage.

Here's hoping to get it back on Monday or tuesday. Good news is that Rob's car will be done, and my afternoon isn't quite as hectic, even though I have to still cross town twice.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #2556
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That's better than all the extra trips.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #2557
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

So sorry about your betta, Cat. And for the car woes, Bakechef and Roadfix.

Here's another car woe: I pulled into the school parking lot, and the maintenance man who was pulling out of the lot rolled down his window and pointed out that I had a flat tire. I called DH, he couldn't come from work. Then all of a sudden my car alarm went off, and I couldn't stop it! Put the key in the ignition, pushed all sorts of buttons, nothing worked. Finally I put the key in the door, then it stopped. Thankfully, I tracked down a janitor, and he put the spare on for me (reluctantly, it was really cold out!). The new-fangled jacks are not straight-forward like the old ones. I took the car to our mechanic, and they found out the aluminum in the wheel had corroded, and had let out the air. They have a machine that grinds out the corrosion. Rather than make 4 trips, one for each tire when it goes flat, I'm having them fix all 4 at once. It should be ready soon. Good mechanics are like gold!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #2558
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Gosh, you guys make me not want to push my luck by getting in the car...
Old 01-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #2559
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
So sorry about your betta, Cat. And for the car woes, Bakechef and Roadfix.

Here's another car woe: I pulled into the school parking lot, and the maintenance man who was pulling out of the lot rolled down his window and pointed out that I had a flat tire. I called DH, he couldn't come from work. Then all of a sudden my car alarm went off, and I couldn't stop it! Put the key in the ignition, pushed all sorts of buttons, nothing worked. Finally I put the key in the door, then it stopped. Thankfully, I tracked down a janitor, and he put the spare on for me (reluctantly, it was really cold out!). The new-fangled jacks are not straight-forward like the old ones. I took the car to our mechanic, and they found out the aluminum in the wheel had corroded, and had let out the air. They have a machine that grinds out the corrosion. Rather than make 4 trips, one for each tire when it goes flat, I'm having them fix all 4 at once. It should be ready soon. Good mechanics are like gold!
The mechanic that Rob has been using is his boss's husband, he seems really good and reasonable, he's treated him really well. It's a load of my mind to have found a good mechanic, dealerships get my business for warranty work but are too expensive after that. He stands behind his work. A Lady was there to pay him for a starter that was replaced that he installed and went bad, the part was under warranty and he refused to charge her labor, he called it the small price for keeping good customers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #2560
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, you have to keep a good mechanic. I have one who refused to fix the first car I ever brought him because it was a rust bucket and he would be doing me a disservice by fixing the brakes. I decided right then that anyone who would refuse a job (money) for customer safety was the man I wanted fixing my cars.