"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #2651
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

If I text through Verizon, it still costs me 20 cents per text! I use my google voice number for free texting which uses my data plan instead of the carriers texting.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #2652
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I get unlimited texts through Verizon. Just wish they'd left my unlimited data plan alone.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #2653
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I get unlimited texts through Verizon. Just wish they'd left my unlimited data plan alone.
Neither phone is on contract and it seems to drive them a bit crazy. I'm getting texts from them, emails, and messages telling me "you've earned a free phone" LOL!

Old 01-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #2654
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

Neither phone is on contract and it seems to drive them a bit crazy. I'm getting texts from them, emails, and messages telling me "you've earned a free phone" LOL!
Yes, do not change a thing! That unlimited data plan you have is worth a lot more than unlimited texts. And if you even breathe wrong, Verizon will happily put you on their extremely limited, pay huge amounts for what you used to get for free, share everything plan!

Bitter? Not I....
Old 01-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #2655
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Yes, do not change a thing! That unlimited data plan you have is worth a lot more than unlimited texts. And if you even breathe wrong, Verizon will happily put you on their extremely limited, pay huge amounts for what you used to get for free, share everything plan!

Bitter? Not I....
I plan on hanging on to it as long as I can, and keep buying my own phones from ebay until they force me off my unlimited plan!

Old 01-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #2656
Master Chef

Quote:
.... I don't text every day, probably less than 100 texts in my lifetime!
Before December I probably could count the number of times I texted on one hand. During December, while trying to coordinate our trip to OH with our daughter, she and I exchanged nearly 100 texts. Each of those texts probably saved us a half hour of phone time! (yeah, we get chatty when we're together either on the phone or in person )

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...Then Stirling got a cell phone and we texted for things like: We're in a mall. "Where are you?"....texting was free, but phoning incurred roaming and long distance fees, on top of the airtime.

Stirling still texts me when he travels to Calgary, "I have arrived in Calgary." "I'm at the airport, flight home leaves in half an hour. Should arrive at 17h." "Flight delayed. I'll let you know how long when I find out." ...
Makes for a great husband-finder, doesn't it? When we had Verizon we had unlimited in-carrier calls so we'd call each other. Now we just text. I understand there actually IS a Husband Locator app for phones now...
Old 01-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #2657
Master Chef

Quote:
Quote:
Neither phone is on contract and it seems to drive them a bit crazy...
Quote:

Bitter? Not I....
Oh if you guys live where you can get Ting you need to check them out. They work off the Sprint network, so if your area had good Sprint coverage, Ting works fine too. We switched from our two-phone Verizon plan (no text, 700 shared talk minutes, unlimited data) that cost us $144 a month, to a Ting plan that charges you each month based on how much you use. To spend more than $60 for your data usage you have to go over 3 Gigabytes! So far, over the last three months, our two phones have cost us $40 a month - and that includes taxes and fees. $40! You do have to buy your phone; Himself got each of us a Samsung Galaxy3 off eBay for $200 each. When we get our next bill we will have broken even, having recovered the cost of the phones with our less expensive plan, and after that it will be true savings each month. The best part? Telling Verizon to take a hike. Then when we tried to drop our land line ($29/mo) Verizon told us we had to keep it in order to have our internet (just went up to $29/mo). Local cable provides much faster internet for $30/mo. for the first year, then $45 for the next. So...we once again told Verizon to take a hike. Well, more like KMA at that point.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #2658
Master Chef

Speaking of husband-finder my daughter uses her Iphone to locate where her husband is. Her phone shows a map of where his device is. By device, I mean his phone....LOL...
Old 01-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #2659
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Oh if you guys live where you can get Ting you need to check them out. They work off the Sprint network, so if your area had good Sprint coverage, Ting works fine too. We switched from our two-phone Verizon plan (no text, 700 shared talk minutes, unlimited data) that cost us $144 a month, to a Ting plan that charges you each month based on how much you use. To spend more than $60 for your data usage you have to go over 3 Gigabytes! So far, over the last three months, our two phones have cost us $40 a month - and that includes taxes and fees. $40! You do have to buy your phone; Himself got each of us a Samsung Galaxy3 off eBay for $200 each. When we get our next bill we will have broken even, having recovered the cost of the phones with our less expensive plan, and after that it will be true savings each month. The best part? Telling Verizon to take a hike. Then when we tried to drop our land line ($29/mo) Verizon told us we had to keep it in order to have our internet (just went up to $29/mo). Local cable provides much faster internet for $30/mo. for the first year, then $45 for the next. So...we once again told Verizon to take a hike. Well, more like KMA at that point.
Good info, CG! I'll have to look into Ting. We have our internet through Verizon, as we're out in the boonies and no cable available. That's where the Verizon stealing of the unlimited plan really hurts. The phones are not terribly affected and use little to no bandwidth, it's the PC and iPads that do it.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #2660
Executive Chef

Since I rarely need a phone, I have a Tracfone, which I use mostly for texting. A text only uses .30 of a minute, as compared to using minutes for a call. Even a short call uses at least a full minute.