Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand your anger. Cyclists can act very entitled when on the road. Motorists are warned to share the road with cyclists but it works both ways.

Andy, we recently had a major road rebuilt. It is a bridge going from Eastie to Winthrop. The bridge was widened and when the new lines were painted, bike lane were painted in. We have those lanes on all the main roads here in Eastie and other parts of Boston. Even downtown. The solid line separating the bike lane from cars lanes is much wider than the standard car lanes. During my working days I would see cyclists in droves riding to work and back home each day while I was on the bus. and they weren't just going down the road to the office. At BMC, there is a very large garage right near the entry way to the doors of the large clinic building. Everyday it is filled with cycles. I would love to see America become like some countries in Europe. More cycles than cars on the road each day. What most folks aren't aware of is that cyclists are subject to the same rules of the road as are the automobiles. :angel:

I don't even bother going to the door!

I live in a security building and people who know me call before they come over.

When I got old I stopped feeling the need to be polite to strangers that call me on the telephone or ring my doorbell! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Spike has a key to the front door. Everyone else has to ring and I can talk through the security system asking who is it.

My kids know to call first to let me know they are coming. I know when my meds are to be delivered, when I am expecting a UPS package, or when the van is going to be picking me up. Other than those reasons, I don't hit that buzzer to open the door downstairs until I know who you are. :angel:

What a Rude Dude he was. Probably working with some sort of work-service program to earn points...which, from what I've read, the door-knockers never reap the benefits.

Work service program? Please don't say Judge ordered community service. Who knows what was at my door. :ohmy:

Last edited by a moderator:
NoNoNo! Not an ex-con! There are do-good organizations that have worked our neighborhood where the youth or, in some cases, down-on-their-luck adults, go door-to-door to drum up business for some kind of thing. I know one time it was magazine subscriptions. The door-knocker is expected to reach a minimum number of contacts and, probably, sales. The reward promised to the door-knocker is rarely delivered because of some technicality on meeting the requirements. It's basically a well-meaning scam. We've also had a wave of environmental activists coming around some years, but not this one. Guess even they have to hide in their AC when they are out fighting global warming. :huh:

In our town anyone going door-to-door is required to first get a permit from the town hall. They have to show documentation of the group or business in order to get permits - probably put down some sort of bond money too. If that is the case where you are the person should be able to show a badge or permit page to indicate they have clearance from your town/city's PTB. Not a guarantee of personal safety, but at least you know they are some kind of legit. ;)

Today's vent

Why is it that all of my small appliances die at the same time? It's not like I bought them all at the same time...as if that would make any difference. In the last month my printer died, I used my c a n n e r s twice and now the gaskets are so stretched out they are unuseable, my bowl to the food processed cracked and my ice cream maker gave up the ghost. All that I could almost handle but it comes on top of literally several thousand dollars worth of auto repairs and dental work. Oh well I didn't need that silly old emergency bank account anyway. I mean it's not like my 25 year old furnace is going to break down or anything like that! lol sigh.

Why is it that all of my small appliances die at the same time? It's not like I bought them all at the same time...as if that would make any difference. In the last month my printer died, I used my c a n n e r s twice and now the gaskets are so stretched out they are unuseable, my bowl to the food processed cracked and my ice cream maker gave up the ghost. All that I could almost handle but it comes on top of literally several thousand dollars worth of auto repairs and dental work. Oh well I didn't need that silly old emergency bank account anyway. I mean it's not like my 25 year old furnace is going to break down or anything like that! lol sigh.

Man, that just sucks. I hope nothing else breaks on you and that everything quiets down for a bit.

Why is it that all of my small appliances die at the same time?.....
I thought the purpose of an emergency bank account was FOR new kitchen toys! :huh: Sorry to hear the account will take a hit to get back up to speed. At least YOU didn't break/wear out YOU! Just be careful down steps and on throw rugs...:ermm:

"Alien Hum"

We lived .6 airline miles from an interstate at our last house. You could hear the road noises a little if the wind and humidity were just right, and I could hear a tiny bit at night - or it could have just been me imagining I heard it. When we moved to MA the closest interstate is nearly 3 airline miles away. Perfect silence. :) Maybe a half dozen years ago I started to hear a low hum. Figured the little strip shopping center behind the houses at the end of our street and through the heavily wooded area had added more air conditioning systems for the stores, one of which is a grocery store. But even that is almost half a mile away. Himself never heard the noise either here or back home. But, a year or so ago, the gas station/convenience store at the start of our neighborhood did a complete rebuild. Since then the noise is louder - even Himself can hear it. Bugs the heck out of me!

I suppose there are worse things in life. After all, I could go deaf and never hear that hum again. :ohmy: But then I'd never hear the birds sing, or my kitty mew, or my hubby tell me he loves me. :wub:

Just for fun, when this noise started to get really annoying, I hit it lucky when I thought of googling "alien hum". Sometimes you google just the right phrase for the topic. :LOL: If you've never heard of "alien hum" you can read a quick, reasonable summary here: Mysterious Humming Sound Heard Around the World ~ ADG (UK) It's not one of those "aliens are coming to get you!!!" kind of story. ;)

Thanks guys..just needed to get it off my chest. Turns out it will cost about 80bucks just to replace the ice cream maker. I don't anticipate making that much ice cream the rest of my life. Although I really liked that model because it didn't take up much space in the freezers I will probably replace it with something from a yard sale. Most of the other stuff..well, I'll just have to bite the bullet and order what I need.

I hear you CG. My apartment is right over the mechanical room. Now these apartments are well insulated. My neighbor and I can't hear a thing from each other's apartment. When I have my windows closed in the winter I can't hear any street noise.

But! I can hear the water heater kick on and the hum it makes. And I can hear the sump pump kick on when it is raining. I have gotten use to it, but at first it drove me crazy. Now the sump pump lulls me to sleep. :angel:

I had a bad day today. But I came from it with the calmness of knowing I am loved by my dearest DA and others.

Life is so wonderful! No matter what.

~Cat

People on facebook posting political crap. They aren't adding to the conversation, just complaining. When you try to have a rational discussion with them, you realize that they have no idea what they are talking about. It's very frustrating.

I've hidden most of those people. I don't post political stuff. I was raised that you don't discuss politics or religion in mixed company. So why do people think that FB is the proper place to bring up politics? Do they think that they are going to change any minds? The best way to do this is having rational discussions and be educated on the issues, not just posting inflammatory rants are only going to tick people off.

I think that banning political discussions on forums like this is a great idea.

Last edited:
People on facebook posting political crap. They aren't adding to the conversation, just complaining. When you try to have a rational discussion with them, you realize that they have no idea what they are talking about. It's very frustrating.

I've hidden most of those people. I don't post political stuff. I was raised that you don't discuss politics or religion in mixed company. So why do people think that FB is the proper place to bring up politics? Do they think that they are going to change any minds? The best way to do this is having rational discussions and be educated on the issues, not just posting inflammatory rants are only going to tick people off.

I have friends on FB that post their political views in a rational, calm, and insightful manner. They are extremely passionate about their views but they are polite to people who disagree with them and encourage intelligent discourse in their postings. I absolutely cherish these people because they are so greatly out numbered by the people who are beligerent, confrontational, insulting, ignorant, obstinate, and just plain rude in the way they express their beliefs.

Unfortunately, these kinds of comments aren't limited to politics or religion. You can see posts on FB, forums, comments sections about almost any subject and find people who simply have no manners and only want to cause contention. It's sad, and you're absolutely correct that it doesn't change people's views, except perhaps of how valuable "friends" might be if they are so willing, and sometimes eager, to cause trouble.

Agreed. I was raised you don't discuss politics, religion or abortion because there will never be any agreement on any of those topics.

I think people get kind of "puffed up" on FB and get carried away. They don't think of other people's feelings or opinions and it seems they want to shove stuff down your throat.

I'm all for a good discussion, but not a fight.

I also appreciate the few restrictions we have here .. keeps the place nice and clean and a ton of fun.

So sorry to hear of all that going wrong joesfolk. Been there. Seems like we just start to get ahead and BAM something else goes. Last thing was the hot water heater .. that was a bummer because we had just dealt with the fridge and the heater. Hope I haven't jinxed myself now !!

Back
Top Bottom