"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #2671
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I use a small locally owned pharmacy that gives excellent customer service. They're only open from 8:30 am till 5:30 pm M-F, but it's worth it for the service.

They will stop what they're doing when I bring in a new Rx and fill it right away. No matter what, unless they have to order something (in which case they call me), my Rx are ready by the end of the day. They also call me if I need a refill and tell me they called my doctor; I call the doctor myself as well. They're experimenting with texting, so that will make things even easier. I love them
I'm ready to start looking for one like that! What a gem. The problem, for me, is that my pharmacy is a Safeway pharmacy (ugh) and the main reason I use it is because I can do my shopping AND get my rx's at the same place. Driving and walking are not easy for me.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #2672
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
To add my not so petty vent to taxlady's------ When I was close to running out of a med and there was no refill left on it, the pharmacy said they would contact my doctor. So far, so good.

I waited. Then called my pharm. again. They re-sent the request. Or so they said.

I waited. Still no refill.

I sent a message through the Patient Portal to my doctor. By that time it was Fri afternoon. No answer.

Fortunately it wasn't a heart med!!! But I still wanted it.
Sat a.m. I tried their doctor on call number. I called that number and got the nicest lady who said she had been getting calls for a few days for the doctor on call. She wasn't a patient.

She told me how to reach the doctor on call. (!!!!) She said she felt sorry for all the people trying to reach the doctor or she would have just hung up. What a nice person.

Finally the on call doctor called back. After I told him what I needed he asked me if that drug was a controlled substance. (It was a common antibiotic.)

Got the refill.

Yeah, I wouldn't have died if I didn't get it right away. What if it was a med that was extremely critical?

And, yeah, maybe I should have called it in earlier? To be told it was too early to get a refill???
Poo has told me and Winthrop also, that I can call in for a refill, (including my Vicodin) three days before I am on the last pill. The Vicodin is a controlled substance.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #2673
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I use a small locally owned pharmacy that gives excellent customer service. They're only open from 8:30 am till 5:30 pm M-F, but it's worth it for the service.

They will stop what they're doing when I bring in a new Rx and fill it right away. No matter what, unless they have to order something (in which case they call me), my Rx are ready by the end of the day. They also call me if I need a refill and tell me they called my doctor; I call the doctor myself as well. They're experimenting with texting, so that will make things even easier. I love them
A couple of towns over there is a pharmacy like that. They have customers that have been with them since they opened. They really give personal service. Right across the street from them is a large chain pharm, and yet this store is always gaining new customers. The manager is the owner and he knows his customers by name.

I am tired of a pharmacy being bought out by another, and you have to go to a different location to get your scripts. They always seem to close the store you usually go to. I am so glad I get all my meds from Winthrop. The pharmacy is directly tied to my health care system.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #2674
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use Costco's Pharmacy. Order my meds online a couple days before I plan on picking them up, they are always ready. I fill my pill holders on Fridays nights, set up the meds that need to be ordered. Order online and pick up on Monday after work.

If I get a scrip for a one time or med I need right now, I have them send it to Walgreen's and pick it up on the way home. I only get my maintenance meds from Costco. I can also have scrips sent to the pharmacy at work and pick them up there. I get a better price out at Costco or I would just do that.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #2675
Certified Pretend Chef

Recipe Units of Measure

Let me preface this by saying I'm a little anal. I measure, weigh and count things. It's what I do and is probably why I was good in finance.
As a result of my affliction, I get bent out of shape, probably more than I should, when I see imprecise measurements listed in recipes. This was brought to the forefront of my waking thoughts recently when Menumaker mentioned that a stick of butter in Europe is about twice the size of a stick of butter in the USA.

By way of example, a recipe calls for a 'small can' of tomato, a 'bunch' of parsley, scallions, cilantro, a 'handful' of anything. A large can of tomato is 28 ounces. Is the small one 15 ounces or 8 ounces? Where I shop, bunches of greens vary in size based on whim. Your hand or mine? Do you fill just the palm or palm and fingers?

How big is a medium onion? When does it cross the line from medium to large or medium to small? Garlic cloves! Yikes! Do you know how much they can vary in size?

I could go on…

We have available to us here in our global cooking community, a comprehensive system of weights and measure that are precise, exact and not open to interpretation. Actually, we have several. Let's use one.

…and another thing. Why the heck isn't the ENTIRE WORLD using the metric system?

I'm not looking for answers here. I already know my level of precision is often not important. I can handle it. I just don't think I should have to. It's actually more of an issue for people new to cooking.

I'm just venting. Actually petty venting.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #2676
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH would probably agree with you, Andy, he's a math freak. I'm a bit on the artistic side, and DH describes my style as "swooshy". I cook by taste and feel, and there's a good reason I'm not a baker! A handful of this, a smidge of that, it makes sense to me!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #2677
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Let me preface this by saying I'm a little anal. I measure, weigh and count things. It's what I do and is probably why I was good in finance.
As a result of my affliction, I get bent out of shape, probably more than I should, when I see imprecise measurements listed in recipes. This was brought to the forefront of my waking thoughts recently when Menumaker mentioned that a stick of butter in Europe is about twice the size of a stick of butter in the USA.

By way of example, a recipe calls for a 'small can' of tomato, a 'bunch' of parsley, scallions, cilantro, a 'handful' of anything. A large can of tomato is 28 ounces. Is the small one 15 ounces or 8 ounces? Where I shop, bunches of greens vary in size based on whim. Your hand or mine? Do you fill just the palm or palm and fingers?

How big is a medium onion? When does it cross the line from medium to large or medium to small? Garlic cloves! Yikes! Do you know how much they can vary in size?

I could go on…

We have available to us here in our global cooking community, a comprehensive system of weights and measure that are precise, exact and not open to interpretation. Actually, we have several. Let's use one.

…and another thing. Why the heck isn't the ENTIRE WORLD using the metric system?

I'm not looking for answers here. I already know my level of precision is often not important. I can handle it. I just don't think I should have to. It's actually more of an issue for people new to cooking.

Count me in! I call it 'fuzzy language' (no relation to all fuzzed up).

But it's always been like that for cooking and good cooks can get around it----not least of the reasons why is that very often a good dish can still be created even when a tiny clove of garlic is used rather than a larger one. I'm sure baking a cake needs more precision than making a stew though.

My ex-husband, who I'm still good friends with, is always trying to cook following a recipe that gives those same imprecise measurements you mention. He goes crazy and calls me----- and really goes crazy when I say----- it doesn't really matter if it's a large clove or a small one.

I have a lot of fun with him telling him to cook 'something' until just before it boils! I know how to do that----- but a new or anal or inexperienced cook would go crazy. (Evil laugh)

Oh, and I don't 'do' metric. I had a hard enough time learning our system.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #2678
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm with you Andy. It isn't always important, but I prefer it. That's one of the things I like about my Danish recipe site. They get precise enough to say how many grams of something like onions or potatoes, peeled weight.

Have a look at this excellent recipe for Moussaka (yes, I know it's Greek, not Danish, but it's a yummy recipe): Moussaka I med billede opskrift fra Alletiders Kogebog blandt over 37.000 forskellige opskrifter

If you hover over an underlined ingredient, it tells you info. E.g., 1 medium potato weighs 150 grams, peeled weight. If there had been a listing for "1 can of tomatoes", it would tell you how much is in that can. For some things where the recipe tells you in weight, the pop up gives the volume equivalents and vice versa.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #2679
Chef Extraordinaire

I combine in one recipe whole items like onions with precise measurements like which can size, because I prefer to use a whole one if possible and I don't want to measure 1 cup of onions. I do try to write recipes so they're not ambiguous, though. Zucchini can range from 6-12 inches long, so I'll specify that.

Don't know what happened to the metric system here in the U.S. I remember learning about it in grade school in the '70s.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #2680
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I could go on…

I'm with you Andy, my anal retentive nature makes me a natural for baking, but cooking recipes sometimes drive me a bit batty. The whole onion thing gets me, who decides what is large and small? How much is a "bunch"?

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote