"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #2691
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
DH would probably agree with you, Andy, he's a math freak. I'm a bit on the artistic side, and DH describes my style as "swooshy". I cook by taste and feel, and there's a good reason I'm not a baker! A handful of this, a smidge of that, it makes sense to me!
I'm "swooshy" too Dawg! That's why I tend to cook rather than bake.

Andy, maybe that's the answer. Do all the baking...and get take-out for all your meals from now on. Or just deal with it and get your math fix by balancing my checkbook.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:52 PM   #2692
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm "swooshy" too Dawg! That's why I tend to cook rather than bake.

Andy, maybe that's the answer. Do all the baking...and get take-out for all your meals from now on. Or just deal with it and get your math fix by balancing my checkbook.
I am horrible with math. Not only am I horrible, I hate anything to do with numbers. Yet I have always been able to balance my checkbook the first time. Don't ask me why. I just am good at it. (As long as I have a calculator!)

Old 02-13-2014, 11:54 PM   #2693
Master Chef

I can balance it Addie. I just hate to do it!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #2694
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I think the reason I like to do it is because it is so methodical. If you make no mistakes, it has to come out right. I always make it a point to not write any checks the last five days of the month. That way when I get my statement, I know what the balance is going to be.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:34 AM   #2695
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I pay all the bills, as well as the taxes here. That way I know they're done correctly and on time. I'm also in charge of my mom's estate, and her bills. Maybe I'm a bit more anal than I previously thought!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #2696
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I pay all the bills, as well as the taxes here. That way I know they're done correctly and on time. I'm also in charge of my mom's estate, and her bills. Maybe I'm a bit more anal than I previously thought!
With both husbands, I cashed the paycheck and paid all the bills. Neither one had any idea what a bill was.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #2697
Master Chef

Quote:
Same here. Now, I just log on to my checking account to check my balances.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #2698
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I won't even get into a discussion about math and checkbooks...
Old 02-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #2699
Executive Chef

Since I am not what I would call an experienced cook, I want a recipe to be exact the first time I make it. I guess I wasn't paying attention when they taught the metric system, because I want to see oz instead of gm. I have a few cookbooks that are very old, and they list a "#10 can" of something. What the heck is a #10 can? As far as things like onion, garlic or spices, I improvise because we don't like as much as other people might like.

Things that I'm used to making, I don't even use a recipe. Just throw in some of this and some of that.

Baking is very different. The amounts of ingredients have to be more exact. Our grandmothers didn't measure, but they could tell by the consistancy of the dough or batter. There are probably some here who do the same thing.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #2700
Executive Chef

I don't know if it differs by state, but in PA you can get a refill when you have used 75% of your last fill. I get some of my meds by mail order and the rest I get at Target. I can call ahead and it will be ready in 24 hours. Or I can go in the store and ask for it, and then shop for 20 minutes and it will be ready. They want you to stay in the store and shop. If I don't have any refills they will give me some pills to hold me over, 5 days or so, and then contact the doctor, but I always get my refill when I still have 10 days or so of meds left.

You cannot do this with a controlled substance. That requires a hand written script from the doctor. No faxes or phone calls.