"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #2711
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I am afraid to do online banking or bill paying. I'm afraid someone can get my account information that way, even though I know most people do this. Even for making purchases online, I have 1 credit card that I use only for online purchases.

I want to continue to receive all my bills in the mail and send checks to pay them. If something happens to me and the bills come online, DH will never know there's a bill. He doesn't know how to write out a check but hopefully his children would help him with that.
I agree!

All of these things work fine most of the time, but when they go wrong they usually go horribly wrong. The same with the information that people provide on social media sites. It amazes me how people share every speck of information about themselves, family, daily routine etc... Maybe I've watched too many television cop shows and scary movies, I just don't think it is a good idea to tell the world all of your business.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #2712
Head Chef

CarolPa----- a lot of people feel the way you do about online banking. And yes, it could get snagged sometime by a clever hacker.

But what about the wait staff at a restaurant that takes your credit card and goes out of sight with that card and it's numbers? (grin)

Old 02-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #2713
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Please excuse my rant. I am so angry now, I could spit. I just spent all afternoon trying to get a flight out to go to a niece's graduation near Las Vegas. The blankety blank website booted me off 20 times after I put in all the info. 5 of those times I was able to put in my credit card info, then the little pop-up would come up stating, "Oops, something went wrong. Please start over." I had to reenter our dates, seats, personal info, watching the outrageous overcharging (for a window seat, aisle seat, and one checked bag, everything is extra, including carryons). And DH insisted that we coordinate with the other members of his side of the family, which meant spending an extra $700. If we could have gone out and come back on different days, it would have been much cheaper. But no, that would not be possible. I told not-so-DH that he gets to book everything next time.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #2714
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
CG---- I still get paper copies of all my statements/bills etc even though I do almost everything online. Why? Because that gives me a hard copy to refer to IF I HAVE TO when a computer glitch happens.

I can view my statements right on line and print it out if I need a hard copy. I have opted to go paperless with all my bills. Now I actually have empty room in my wastebaskets.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #2715
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I get statements online as much as possible. I download them. I lose stuff. I have yet to lose a computer. I can find all my statements without going online, well the ones I get online.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #2716
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
CarolPa----- a lot of people feel the way you do about online banking. And yes, it could get snagged sometime by a clever hacker.

But what about the wait staff at a restaurant that takes your credit card and goes out of sight with that card and it's numbers? (grin)
I don't know about CarolPa, but I'll take my chances with an individual who has access to my information once rather than placing my information permanently on the internet.

I use cash for most day to day items like restaurants. I'm from the old credit is good, cash is King crowd!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #2717
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I was a bookkeeper most of my working life. I really enjoy the fact that with a debit card and account, I don't have to wonder. If I call and check on my accound, I get the current balance, including the shopping trip(s) I just made. It's instant.

I've balanced my share of checking accounts, but it's really nice not to have to.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #2718
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Please excuse my rant. I am so angry now, I could spit. I just spent all afternoon trying to get a flight out to go to a niece's graduation near Las Vegas. The blankety blank website booted me off 20 times after I put in all the info. 5 of those times I was able to put in my credit card info, then the little pop-up would come up stating, "Oops, something went wrong. Please start over." I had to reenter our dates, seats, personal info, watching the outrageous overcharging (for a window seat, aisle seat, and one checked bag, everything is extra, including carryons). And DH insisted that we coordinate with the other members of his side of the family, which meant spending an extra $700. If we could have gone out and come back on different days, it would have been much cheaper. But no, that would not be possible. I told not-so-DH that he gets to book everything next time.
Sorry, Dawg!!! It is such a pain to try to do that kind of thing. Turns out it was the cable company that was causing my woes with sites going dark when I got all my information in.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #2719
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Sorry, Dawg!!! It is such a pain to try to do that kind of thing. Turns out it was the cable company that was causing my woes with sites going dark when I got all my information in.
Thanks PF! We use Verizon for everything. I have one shred of hair left! I'll braid it, should look great. I have no idea what was going wrong, tried to book it from everything that would book a flight, iPad, phone, PC. And Not-So-DH was Monday Morning Quarterbacking. Next time, he books it. But then we'll have no walls or windows,
Old 02-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #2720
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That MMQB'ing is really why I am extremely happy to be getting back to fulltime next week...