"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #2751
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have store cards just for the discounts. I pay them of after purchase, before they are due and avoid the interest.

I really have no idea what the interest is on most of my cards. I have one that has always been at 5.25% and that's the one we use for things that we want finance for a few months. The others gets paid of monthly. We usually only have a couple going at a time.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #2752
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I have store cards just for the discounts. I pay them of after purchase, before they are due and avoid the interest.

I really have no idea what the interest is on most of my cards. I have one that has always been at 5.25% and that's the one we use for things that we want finance for a few months. The others gets paid of monthly. We usually only have a couple going at a time.

We have more credit cards than we need but we also don't carry balances on them. We use one on a regular basis because it has the best cash back bonus plan. The others I make sure we use at least once a year to keep them active. We have them in case of emergency, but thankfully, have never had an emergency that forced us to use them.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #2753
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Don't you worry that hackers can get access to your account info? That's what I worry about.
Not really.......although I only keep just enough balance in my checking account for my monthly expenditures, and no more. The rest are stash of cash at home and deposits in other non-banking institutions, but those accounts are also online accessible for convenience.

An employee in your banking institution can just as easily steal account info as a computer hacker can, I would imagine.... I would not worry about banking online.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #2754
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Don't most banks offer guarantees about online banking?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #2755
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Don't most banks offer guarantees about online banking?
If it's in an actual bank account (not a money market or investment account), it's insured by the FDIC up to $250,000. We use online banking and don't worry about it. Banks themselves have been moving money around electronically for decades.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #2756
Master Chef

One thing I never do is to log onto any of my accounts using public wi-fi, if that makes any difference...
Old 02-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #2757
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If it's in an actual bank account (not a money market or investment account), it's insured by the FDIC up to $250,000. We use online banking and don't worry about it. Banks themselves have been moving money around electronically for decades.
I thought the FDIC was like the Canadian, CDIC,

"CDICís deposit insurance insures Canadiansí savings against the failure of a bank or other financial institution if it is a CDIC member. CDICís deposit insurance does NOT protect against fraud, theft or scams. - See more at: What Is Deposit Insurance?"

I tried, but couldn't find anything as definite about the FDIC.

My bank has a "security guarantee" against online fraud. RBC Online Banking Security Guarantee - RBC Royal Bank
Old 02-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #2758
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I thought the FDIC was like the Canadian, CDIC,

"CDICís deposit insurance insures Canadiansí savings against the failure of a bank or other financial institution if it is a CDIC member. CDICís deposit insurance does NOT protect against fraud, theft or scams. - See more at: What Is Deposit Insurance?"

I tried, but couldn't find anything as definite about the FDIC.

My bank has a "security guarantee" against online fraud. RBC Online Banking Security Guarantee - RBC Royal Bank

This is what I believe also, Taxlady. I'm pretty sure that when I got this account I asked about it and was told I was not protected against fraud if I used online banking. I realize so many people do it all the time without any problems. Many people think I'm nuts when I say I still mail checks to pay my bills. I guess I'm old fashioned.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #2759
Chef Extraordinaire

My bad. I should have checked before posting.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #2760
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
This is what I believe also, Taxlady. I'm pretty sure that when I got this account I asked about it and was told I was not protected against fraud if I used online banking. I realize so many people do it all the time without any problems. Many people think I'm nuts when I say I still mail checks to pay my bills. I guess I'm old fashioned.
I don't think you're nuts. I just think you are going through effort you don't need.

Ask your bank if they have something like that "security guarantee" that my bank has for online banking. The CDIC protects my money from the bank failing and my bank protects me from online banking fraud.

Most of the problems are from not being careful with the password, using a public computer and not clearing the cache when your done, etc. I haven't had any problems (7-9-13*) yet. I have been doing online banking since before it was done on the web. The bank gave me software on a floppy disk to do my banking online.

* Danish superstition equivalent to knocking on wood.