"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #2821
Certified Pretend Chef

SO tells the story of how her son NEVER wore a coat or jacket when he went off to school or anywhere else. Snow, cold, wind, it just didn't matter. She'd buy him new jackets to entice him into wearing them and the would sit in the closet.

One day her son's teacher, the guidance counselor and school principal showed up at her home with a gift of a winter jacket for her son. They explained they saw him coming to school without one and that it was OK for her to accept a gift for him.

She thanked them very kindly and showed them all the coats and jackets she had in the closet that he would not wear.

When he turned 18, he moved to Florida and whenever he comes to visit now, all he does is complain about the cold (he's 43 YO now).

Old 02-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #2822
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's one of the reasons I always make sure that my car is pointed nose out in parking spaces. When pulling out of a parking spot, I want to be going forwards. I had it suggested and explained to me by a truck driver.
That's a good idea. It's gotten a bit easier to back up into any parking place since I got a car with a backup camera. Still not sure I would want to try this in downtown Akron though. One of their main streets has angle-in parking along the street, but you have to back into the parking spot. Yeah, like all the traffic behind you will wait patiently for THAT to happen. (I think) parallel parking would be easier.

I get annoyed with people who just don't pay attention and wander in the roadway. Maybe they're talking with friends, or maybe they are checking their cellphones, but they don't pay attention to what is happening around them. Their lack of awareness could end up causing me problems. Not fair!

Old 02-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #2823
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yeah, angle parking is a nuisance. They angle it so it only makes sense to park nose in. I used to live on a fairly wide, one way street in Montreal. Whenever we got a lot of snow, people would angle park, because parallel parking got really difficult. But, everyone backed in. The angle was the other direction from what is usually painted in places with angle parking.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #2824
Master Chef

I miss the wide parking spaces. These days if you're trying to park anything wider than a mid-sized sedan in a crowded parking lot you're in trouble....
Old 02-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #2825
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I miss the wide parking spaces. These days if you're trying to park anything wider than a mid-sized sedan in a crowded parking lot you're in trouble....
That's one of the nice things about going to "my" Costco. They repainted all of the spaces in their parking lot to make them wider. Unless someone has parked very badly, you can actually get the cart between the cars without risking the mirrors and paint jobs.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #2826
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Simply having a very high limit on a line of credit can affect your credit purchasing power in some instances, like if you're trying to finance a new car or applying for a home loan, for example. You can potentially max out on your credit, increasing your monthly payment obligations.
That's actually an outdated concept. Now high limits with very little utilized is great for your credit as lenders can see that you are very responsible. Having high limits with very little utilized has helped my score climb. I never have issues getting approved. Any lender can look at my reports and see that I'm not leaning on my credit cards or spending more than I can afford.

Your credit score will look a lot better if the reporting balance is $1000 on a $10,000 card than on a $2000 card, the $2000 card will be half maxed out where the other will only be 10%. Keeping reported balances under 30% keeps the score healthy. Even if you pay in full every month they will still report something depending on the date that it is set to report.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:30 AM   #2827
Master Chef

That is pretty much how we've lived our credit life all along. High credit limit, responsible usage, pay off every month in full. Discover is now providing cardholders with a FICA score every month if you have their "It" card. FWIW, I didn't know the scale went higher than 800 ..till now. It may just apply to our Discover use only, but since we manage all our bills the same I would think it's a good snapshot.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:37 AM   #2828
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I agree with what the Chief said----- but if Addie is talking about babies then that may be another issue. However, my daughter, as a baby/toddler would whip a hat off her head as quick as a wink! She always hated anything on her head.

If I had lived in blizzard county I guess I could have stapled the hat on her head.

When it did snow and she was still young and played outside all the warm clothes I put on her were soaking wet from sledding, snow ball fights etc that I wondered why I even put clothes on her. (just kidding guys, but you catch my drift.)
I was referring to young children, up to five or six years old. As far as the hats; I always bought hats that tied on and I did the tying. Tie it into a bow and then tie the bow again. Hats stayed on. I didn't have to much trouble with the girls. They were always getting earaches, so they knew the consequences of not wear their hat. Then when Poo came along he had the same problem and more often than not opted to stay in rather than bring on an earache. He got to the point that he wouldn't even tell me if he had one. He would just go and get the drops and take care of it himself. That kid was born to practice medicine.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #2829
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That is pretty much how we've lived our credit life all along. High credit limit, responsible usage, pay off every month in full. Discover is now providing cardholders with a FICA score every month if you have their "It" card. FWIW, I didn't know the scale went higher than 800 ..till now. It may just apply to our Discover use only, but since we manage all our bills the same I would think it's a good snapshot.
It's a Transunion FICO score, so it is a real one that reflects your Transunion credit report, so it is legit! Usually to get all three REAL scores, you have to pay $30, so getting one free is a good thing. I have Discover too.

There are lots of "credit scores" out there, but if they don't have the FICO logo than they aren't the real deal.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #2830
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was referring to young children, up to five or six years old. As far as the hats; I always bought hats that tied on and I did the tying. Tie it into a bow and then tie the bow again. Hats stayed on. I didn't have to much trouble with the girls. They were always getting earaches, so they knew the consequences of not wear their hat. Then when Poo came along he had the same problem and more often than not opted to stay in rather than bring on an earache. He got to the point that he wouldn't even tell me if he had one. He would just go and get the drops and take care of it himself. That kid was born to practice medicine.
I think it's genetic. I only enough to keep the wind off of my bare skin. As I moved around (I was like the EverReady bunny, never stayed still), I rapidly overheated. I still do. I go out to shovel with a coat, a hat, gloves, and warm boots on. 5 minutes into the shoveling, I lose the hat. The a few minutes later, the gloves gotta go. Ten minutes or so after that, the coat is opened up. Half the time, the coat gets laid on the car trunk before I'm done. Mind you, it's usually snowing like crazy, with temps in the single digits when I'm shoveling. I used to take short snowmobile rides in blue jeans and a tea shirt.

My kids are the same way. And none of them stood still long enough for their body heat to be absorbed by the cold air. It seems that their children are the same as well. Some of us just generate lots of internal heat. I guess you could say that in my family, we're "hot stuff". That I roll is preemptive, so P.A.G. doesn't have to.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote