"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #2831
Head Chef

[QUOTE=Addie;1347564 As far as the hats; I always bought hats that tied on and I did the tying. Tie it into a bow and then tie the bow again. Hats stayed on. I didn't have to much trouble with the girls. They were always getting earaches, so they knew the consequences of not wear their hat.[/QUOTE]

Addie---- Your children must have been much more compliant than my daughter. Too bad we can't travel back in time and I could lend you my daughter and let you see how 'the other kind' works.

She was a fairly well behaved daughter mostly. Just had a mind of her own from the git-go and hats on the head wasn't her idea of what she wanted! I swear she was the daughter of Houdini!

I was a stay-at-home mom during her early years and we would go to a local lake to sun-bathe, dabble in the water. I watched with amazement when another woman brought her same age daughter to the beach. Spread a large beach towel. Plopped her on the towel, gave her a few toys and that kid stayed put! I swear there was Crazy Glue on her bum!

My daughter in the meantime was going up and down the beach, collecting old cigarette butts, going a bit too far out in the water (I always kept an eye on her and brought her back), talking to young couples who would have rather not having a 2-3 year old kid talking to them (!) and in general having just a heck of a good time.

If I had had children as compliant as yours I might have had more than one.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #2832
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

I think it's genetic. I only enough to keep the wind off of my bare skin. As I moved around (I was like the EverReady bunny, never stayed still), I rapidly overheated. I still do. I go out to shovel with a coat, a hat, gloves, and warm boots on. 5 minutes into the shoveling, I lose the hat. The a few minutes later, the gloves gotta go. Ten minutes or so after that, the coat is opened up. Half the time, the coat gets laid on the car trunk before I'm done. Mind you, it's usually snowing like crazy, with temps in the single digits when I'm shoveling. I used to take short snowmobile rides in blue jeans and a tea shirt.

My kids are the same way. And none of them stood still long enough for their body heat to be absorbed by the cold air. It seems that their children are the same as well. Some of us just generate lots of internal heat. I guess you could say that in my family, we're "hot stuff". That I roll is preemptive, so P.A.G. doesn't have to.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I rolled my eyes anyway.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #2833
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
I rolled my eyes anyway.
I sense a redundancy in The Force...
Old 02-28-2014, 04:03 AM   #2834
Certified Cake Maniac

A very dear lady, who has always referred to me as her 4 1/2 daughter, passed away last Thursday. She is the Mom of my best friend from grade 8 on. I was between my friend and her younger sister (no. 5) in age. She sent me a birthday card last October, which she hasn't done in years, and I called to say thank you. We had a short but delightful talk.

My vent is that my van has bald tires and I am still not well enough to handle transit so I am not able to go to the family graveside service tomorrow morning. If there was no snow or chance of rain I would probably take the van, but with the current weather TB doesn't want me to risk it. I have to go over a major bridge just at the tail end of rush hour.

We can't go anywhere but East without crossing a bridge

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #2835
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
A very dear lady, who has always referred to me as her 4 1/2 daughter, passed away last Thursday. She is the Mom of my best friend from grade 8 on. I was between my friend and her younger sister (no. 5) in age. She sent me a birthday card last October, which she hasn't done in years, and I called to say thank you. We had a short but delightful talk.

My vent is that my van has bald tires and I am still not well enough to handle transit so I am not able to go to the family graveside service tomorrow morning. If there was no snow or chance of rain I would probably take the van, but with the current weather TB doesn't want me to risk it. I have to go over a major bridge just at the tail end of rush hour.

We can't go anywhere but East without crossing a bridge
She knows you would be there if you could. She's looking down on you, saying; "Don't fret child. I'll be seeing you one of these days. I'll have a place set for you at the table, and we'll talk, and eat, and remember good times."

I know of no one more loving, or considerate than you. How could it be otherwise?

Seeeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #2836
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs))) Laurie.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #2837
Master Chef

LP, you'll be with them in spirit. Your bonus Mom knows that.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #2838
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, friends. I know Mom M is looking down at all of us and I will be seeing her someday, I just really wanted to be part of the family and they wanted me to be there.

I called my friend and she understood completely. I was going for my sake, but also for hers. She and her Mom were close but not as close as she was to her Dad and she feels awkward in public situations. She really was dreading today and I was going to be there for her to lean on. I was relieved to find out that at the last minute her hubby was able to get the day off and go with her. He is a rock.

I think I am also grieving that no matter what measures are taken to improve my health, I am always going to have to be aware of it and it will get in my way some times. I just need to do the best I can to get my strength and immune system closer to normal.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #2839
Executive Chef

So we got this letter with our water bill yesterday.

It says:

"Our water system recently violated the maximum contaminant level (MCL) for TTHM. The average level of TTHM over the last four quarters was 0.089 MG/L. The standard for TTHM is 0.080 MG/L.

The levels detected do not pose an immediate risk to your health.

For more information contact: Superintendant of Utilities."

Now what gets me about this is that the samples were taken between April 2013 and January 2014 .. why did they wait so long to notify us?

Gets my goat that they have apparently known but did not bother to inform. Also what the heck does it mean there is no immediate risk to our health? And just try to contact the superintendant .. voice mail ... it is all just so danged wrong !
Old 03-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #2840
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
So we got this letter with our water bill yesterday.

It says:

"Our water system recently violated the maximum contaminant level (MCL) for TTHM. The average level of TTHM over the last four quarters was 0.089 MG/L. The standard for TTHM is 0.080 MG/L.

The levels detected do not pose an immediate risk to your health.

For more information contact: Superintendant of Utilities."

Now what gets me about this is that the samples were taken between April 2013 and January 2014 .. why did they wait so long to notify us?

Gets my goat that they have apparently known but did not bother to inform. Also what the heck does it mean there is no immediate risk to our health? And just try to contact the superintendant .. voice mail ... it is all just so danged wrong !
Could that over-disinfection have been because of the West Virginia chemical spill?I don't know where you live in OH but the Ohio River and probably some tributaries were affected by it.