"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #2861
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I am sooooooo tired of struggling to open things. I just wish I had back all the time I've wasted trying to open the packaging of the thing I just bought. Curses on whoever contaminated the first item, leading to the hermetical sealing of any and everything since.
I agree about packaging. I understand about making things harder for shoplifters and tamperers, but I would like to be able to get into the darned thing, without injury, once I get it home.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #2862
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I am sooooooo tired of struggling to open things. I just wish I had back all the time I've wasted trying to open the packaging of the thing I just bought. Curses on whoever contaminated the first item, leading to the hermetical sealing of any and everything since.
I hear ya.

And then there is the stuff in hard, tough plastic that defies scissors.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #2863
Head Chef

Quote:
I hear ya!

"The case remains unsolved and no suspects have been charged. A $100,000 reward offered by Johnson & Johnson, McNeil's parent company, for the capture and conviction of the "Tylenol Killer" has never been claimed."

And just think of all the plastics manufacturers who have profited from that!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #2864
Master Chef

A few simple, inexpensive tools will suffice to open all packages.

1. Aviation Snips (Snips | MSCDirect.com
2. Kitchen Shears (https://www.gfs.com/files/pdf/gms/Professional_Cutlery_and_Utensil_Collections_POS.p df)
Scroll down and look on the right hands collumn.

3. Sharp, locking folding knife (https://www.google.com/search?q=boke...ml%3B350%3B350)
With this knife, you also get a seat belt cutter, and a car window breaker.

4. Husband, son, or handyman.

If you have these four items, you can open any container around. I have all four, me being number four on the list. DW has no problem getting packages open, nor do I, except for a jar of caramel that's been sitting in the fridge a while. Even with the application of hot water, and a gar opener, I can't seem to get the lid off. Maybe i'll just get a new jar of caramel.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #2865
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Well, scissors and a utility knife will usually do it. But, it can be a battle and one risks injury.

For opening jars, I put a fat elastic on the lid. If it still argues with me, I put another one on the jar. When I worked in hospitals in the '70s, I learned that trick. We would use a rubber hose, the kind used to cut off blood flow when drawing blood, to open bottles.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #2866
Head Chef

Here's one of the things I use:

Of course you'd need Chief to attach it to the bottom of the cabinet for you first
Old 04-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #2867
Certified Pretend Chef

When a jar is hard to open, the first thing I do is turn it over and gently but firmly tap the top on the countertop. That usually does the trick.

Yesterday I opened a jar that had such a good vacuum seal that, even after I had unscrewed it, the vacuum was still holding the lid on so I had to pry the edge up until the pressure released.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:08 AM   #2868
Master Chef

Quote:
...Curses on whoever contaminated the first item, leading to the hermetical sealing of any and everything since.
I find myself uttering that curse often. Especially when it involves something like a bottle of pain reliever that has a foil protector glued over the top of the bottle...which had a shrink-wrapped band securing the lid to the bottle...which was sold in a sealed carton. ARG!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:11 AM   #2869
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When a jar is hard to open, the first thing I do is turn it over and gently but firmly tap the top on the countertop...
I do that too, but I also hold the jar with a kitchen towel, just in case the glass jar decides to break. My aunt had an incident with glass breaking and giving her an ugly gash in her palm.

I also tap-tap someone other than the counter since our builder used cheap-a$$ formica in the house. I usually open the door to the garage and whack the jar lid on the handrail of the platform just outside our door.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #2870
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When a jar is hard to open, the first thing I do is turn it over and gently but firmly tap the top on the countertop. That usually does the trick.
I use a bottle opener as a lever between the rim and the lid to open a jar. If that doesn't work, I run hot water over the which causes it to expand, breaking the vacuum seal.