"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #2881
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, we know our UPS and Fed Ex guys by name. Amazon has things I want that I cannot buy in the stores here. We get shipments of my favorite perfume, soaps, shampoos, cleaners, etc. I can get a lot of that stuff cheaper on Amazon and if ordered right, I get it with free shipping. I have never ordered anything from QVC.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #2882
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks, I've been using a stress ball to limber them up more. Biofreeze gel helps a lot.
Have you tried parrafin dips? You can pick up an old crockpot from a thrift store and make a bath yourself, there are lots of instructions online. You just have to make sure the temperature is in the correct range. It's not a miracle, but it can be really helpful with inflammation from arthritis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #2883
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I wrap them in hot, wet towels. same effect. Thanks, I will go look at the paraffin dips and see what the temp is.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #2884
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I wish I had enough money (or a large enough credit limit) that I could sit on the couch and order things from QVC all day. I think that's what my neighbors across the street do. The UPS truck is at their house several times per week. They have a small 3 bedroom ranch. I have no idea where they're putting all this stuff, but I'm so jealous!
Just remember, all that stuff they order, they have to take care of and clean.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #2885
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
Have you tried parrafin dips?
That's how I used to help with plucking ducks when I raised them for eating.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #2886
Head Chef

About Amazon---- I'm relying on them more and more. Sure I'd rather have the energy and health to 'go shopping' but since I can't do that so much anymore I use what's available---- and that's Amazon. Thank goodness it's there along with details and customer reviews. Not that ALL customer reviews are good. but you learn to discern which review is given one star simply because it was the wrong shade of mauve and which one is because the item really was defective!

And free shipping is available for a lot of the things I need or want. (There's a difference. )

Amazon of course is in it to make money---- but Bezos has built Amazon do that while still giving pretty good service.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #2887
Executive Chef

I have bought things from both Amazon and QVC. I have to hold myself back not to go overboard. HSN has a system that if you have an account with them you can order on your TV using the remote. Boy, could I get carried away with that!

When people mention things on DC I google them on Amazon and if I'm interested, I put them on my wish list. Then when I have enough for free shipping I place an order. I have bought some things through them that I was unable to find elsewhere.

Still can't find that doo-dad we've all been researching, though! LOL
Old 04-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #2888
Master Chef

I don't have Amazon's Prime account but whenever they offer a 30 day free trial I take advantage of it. Over the years I've taken advantage of their free trial offers about a half a dozen times. I'm currently signed up for Prime and the free trial expires in a week or so. For an annual fee Prime offers free 2-day shipping on many items (no minimum purchase), plus includes their video streaming service as well.
I've ordered a bunch of stuff this month already. In fact I'm awaiting delivery today of a large, 2 foot fake garden boulder which I ordered on Monday. 2-day free delivery. Hope it looks real.....the many reviews say it does...:)
Old 04-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #2889
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I don't have Amazon's Prime account but whenever they offer a 30 day free trial I take advantage of it. Over the years I've taken advantage of their free trial offers about a half a dozen times. I'm currently signed up for Prime and the free trial expires in a week or so. For an annual fee Prime offers free 2-day shipping on many items (no minimum purchase), plus includes their video streaming service as well.
I've ordered a bunch of stuff this month already. In fact I'm awaiting delivery today of a large, 2 foot fake garden boulder which I ordered on Monday. 2-day free delivery. Hope it looks real.....the many reviews say it does...:)
So then you can say "I've got a piece of the rock." LOL

My neighbor, same one who gets all the UPS deliveries, put a real boulder in the corner of his yard because his neighbor kept driving over the corner of the yard. Now the second neighbor has lots of dents in his fenders. LOL
Old 04-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #2890
Sous Chef

Amazon is the next best thing to sliced bread. I use then a lot for mundane things as well as self indulgent things. I bought a large package of vacuum cleaner bags recently after having spent a half a day and way too much gas going across the island, fighting traffic, trying to find them at a local Sears store. They were all out. What a waste of time that was.