Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
was in a fabric store today. my granddaughter and great granddaughter were with me. the granddaughter was on the floor playing with some pamphlets. a man ( in a wheelchair) called it to my granddaughter's attention. we knew what she was doing and there was no harm in it. so we left her alone. the man said, if she had been in my store, when i had it. i would have charged for those. pamphlets no less. it really frosted me, i said " well how wonderful for you" i was still angry. granddaughter said let it go. he should have minded his own business. if she were playing with stuff that was for sale, we would have stopped her. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Some people just don't know how to let little kids be little kids.

Babe, I totally agree with you being mad, and with Princess Fiona's comment. Obviously it wasn't bothering the store staff!

I bought a dog toy awhile back with some Christmas money my Dad gave for his "Granddogs". It was fake fur in the shape of an elongated fox and instead of stuffing had an empty water bottle in it. Well success! finally a toy they loved and weren't ripping the stuffing out of it for the squeaker. Also, you can put a new bottle in it (on our second).

Well, the other day they had smaller ones on sale (that take stubby bottles - a raccoon and a skunk) so Joie, our little dog could have his own. They both ended up with a little one and loved them. Until I saw blood on the nose of one of the toys. We checked and he had two small slits in his gums. I opened up the toy to find they hadn't taken the cap off the bottle. The cap is hard plastic and when he bit he cracked it.

I went back to the store, where they know us well, and told her about it. I wasn't asking for money back, just wanted to make her aware of the situation for future customers. We opened one up and she took the cap off, thanked me very much and said she was going to take all the caps off. As I was walking out I could hear her pulling the velcro open again (probably putting the cap back on). As I got in the car, we watched her put it back on the shelf and walk away.

I know I did my part, but I really don't think I can go back to that store (the only supplier of our Buffalo bones). I know I did my best and it is up to her, but I hate anything that might hurt an animal. Joie was okay because we caught it, and we keep an eye on them when they have a new toy. But other dogs might not be so lucky.

Babe, I totally agree with you being mad, and with Princess Fiona's comment. Obviously it wasn't bothering the store staff!

I bought a dog toy awhile back with some Christmas money my Dad gave for his "Granddogs". It was fake fur in the shape of an elongated fox and instead of stuffing had an empty water bottle in it. Well success! finally a toy they loved and weren't ripping the stuffing out of it for the squeaker. Also, you can put a new bottle in it (on our second).

Well, the other day they had smaller ones on sale (that take stubby bottles - a raccoon and a skunk) so Joie, our little dog could have his own. They both ended up with a little one and loved them. Until I saw blood on the nose of one of the toys. We checked and he had two small slits in his gums. I opened up the toy to find they hadn't taken the cap off the bottle. The cap is hard plastic and when he bit he cracked it.

I went back to the store, where they know us well, and told her about it. I wasn't asking for money back, just wanted to make her aware of the situation for future customers. We opened one up and she took the cap off, thanked me very much and said she was going to take all the caps off. As I was walking out I could hear her pulling the velcro open again (probably putting the cap back on). As I got in the car, we watched her put it back on the shelf and walk away.

I know I did my part, but I really don't think I can go back to that store (the only supplier of our Buffalo bones). I know I did my best and it is up to her, but I hate anything that might hurt an animal. Joie was okay because we caught it, and we keep an eye on them when they have a new toy. But other dogs might not be so lucky.

Is there manufacturer tag to get a way to complain to them? They are the ones really at fault here.

It is a shame the clerk didn't do it, but maybe you could contact the manager and tell him about the problem so maybe the ones on the shelves would get taken care of.

Aaaargh! While I was in the kitchen today, my beautiful 19-month-old daughter pulled down my purse, unzipped it, pulled out an eye shadow quad featuring vibrant blue & green & subdued green & brown colors, crushed/dug out the color with her fingernails & dumped it out on our light-colored carpet. I already have a faint pink lipstick stain in one spot that I couldn't quite get all the way out after hours of working on it. Now we'll have blue one to match. :mad:

Apparently I have to either lock up my purse or my daughter any time I want to get something done. We're definitely going to get charged to replace the carpet in this place when we move out. Part of it's poor planning on their part. Who puts light beige carpet in a dining area? But seriously, I can't watch my child every single second of every single day. She is a magnet for messes!

Sorry, I love my daughter. She brings much more joy to my life then frustration, but some days...

Is there manufacturer tag to get a way to complain to them? They are the ones really at fault here.

It is a shame the clerk didn't do it, but maybe you could contact the manager and tell him about the problem so maybe the ones on the shelves would get taken care of.

Yeah, I think I have one of the tags and should write the manufacturer. Thanks for suggestion.

The person I was dealing with WAS the manager/owner!!! go Figure.

Aaaargh! While I was in the kitchen today, my beautiful 19-month-old daughter pulled down my purse, unzipped it, pulled out an eye shadow quad featuring vibrant blue & green & subdued green & brown colors, crushed/dug out the color with her fingernails & dumped it out on our light-colored carpet. I already have a faint pink lipstick stain in one spot that I couldn't quite get all the way out after hours of working on it. Now we'll have blue one to match. :mad:

Apparently I have to either lock up my purse or my daughter any time I want to get something done. We're definitely going to get charged to replace the carpet in this place when we move out. Part of it's poor planning on their part. Who puts light beige carpet in a dining area? But seriously, I can't watch my child every single second of every single day. She is a magnet for messes!

Sorry, I love my daughter. She brings much more joy to my life then frustration, but some days...

Sproutster. You could try to use paper towel, with brown sack paper over it, then iron it pretty hot. The waxes and oils will absorb into the paper towel and the brown sack. If you see the oils/waxes/colors on the paper, you'll know it's working. You might have to try new paper many times until it all comes out. I've had really good luck with this method. HTH

If you are going to get charged to replace the carpet, have you thought about buying a steam cleaner. Here's one for $99.99 that can also be used for steaming your clothes (Yay! No more ironing.) Steamfast - 3-in-1 Upright Steam Cleaner - Blue - SF-292

I haven't tried it, but I've been wanting something like that for a long time.

Could you maybe add a purse hook by the hook where you put your car keys so that it's out of reach of your little girl? Of course, that's assuming you have a hook for the keys and assuming there's a strap on the purse. Hope those stains come out.

How come stuff disappears even when you're living alone?? My favorite frying pan is nowhere to be found. Criminy. I think the dog hid it.

Do you have a closet carpeted with the same carpet? I ended up using the carpet from a closet to replace a ruined portion of carpet and simply purchased some nice slate tiles and tiled the closet. I was able to fix the carpet and leave a nice (inexpensive) closet floor.

but what'll hide the cutout in the floor in the closet?

you know, where you keep the guns and money?

aww, c'mon. everyone does that here in jersey. in fact, when house hunting the real eastate agents show how much closet space a house might have, and the caliber it can hold...

aww, c'mon. everyone does that here in jersey. in fact, when house hunting the real eastate agents show how much closet space a house might have, and the caliber it can hold...

The guns are okay, but you just had to mention the money....now all my relatives will be wanting a cut!;)

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try the paper towel/bag/iron trick as soon as I can pick up some paper bags. We plan on renting a steam cleaner soon, we just have to get through this semester first. The purse hook is a great idea. the door to our utility closet is right next to the front door, maybe I'll just pick up one of those over-the-door hooks. I hadn't thought of that. We have a key hook in our tiny coat closet, but there's barely enough room for our coats. No room to hang a purse. PF, unfortunately since we're renting we're not allowed to make big changes like that. It's a great idea to keep in mind when we own someday though!

We love stories.:LOL: Who won, your pup or the muskrat?

How about a story about a cockatiel and our dogs? At the time, we had 5 dogs, 4 pugs of various sizes and a 90+ pound golden retriever/malamute mix girl. I'm upstairs in the shower in the back of the house, Craig is out front doing something and the dogs are out back in our fenced yard. I get out of the shower and all HE// is breaking loose outside, all the dogs are barking and having a fit and there's another strange noise in the mix. So, I wrap the bath towel (a big one) around me and run downstairs, yelling for Craig as I go flying past the garage door into the house on my way to the sliding glass door. Get the door open, don't see the dogs and they won't come in with me just calling them.

Okay, out I go, now remember I'm wrapped in a towel and I wasn't what you'd call a small person even back then, so it's not covering me totally and we live on a lake that a bunch of other houses back up to. I go around the corner of the family room and the dogs have formed a semi-circle around a poor little cockatiel they had backed up to the house and are all barking their fool heads off at it. It's all puffed up and squacking back at them. I finally get them to back off a little but, of course, they won't go back too much because they are too interested in this strange creature they found in THEIR yard. Craig still hasn't made an appearance and I really only have one hand to use because the other one is holding onto the towel for dear life so I don't put on a show for anybody that might be looking toward our house. I finally decide I am going to have to pick the poor little thing up to get it away from the dogs so I'm trying to reach down to catch it with both hands but trying to keep the towel in place. The poor little thing is so scared though that it jumped onto my hand and grabbed hold of my finger. I had almost made it back around to the door when Craig finally puts in an appearance and took the bird so I could go get dressed.

Kind of sad ending though, we took it for a ride around the neighborhood because we thought we knew the general vicinity of where it lived as we had heard a bird previously in one of the houses across the lake. Went to a couple of houses with it holding on to my finger and then at the third house when I opened the gate it just flew away and wouldn't come back to me. I've always hoped that was its house and its people found it when they came home.

But, while it wasn't funny at the time, the image of that little bird in a stand-off with the 1 big dog and the 4 little dogs with me wrapped in nothing but a towel and barefoot trying to save it brings a smile and a chuckle.

Karen

Last edited:
There have been cases of E. coli here in Quebec. Nine people are ill and one person died. Two people are ill in New Brunswick and two in Ontario. They are saying it is likely from raw walnuts, so we should stick them in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 F. I did. They are almost all burnt. Phooey. At least I didn't put a lot of walnuts in the oven.

I need to whine for a few minutes. We got back from an amazing holiday Tuesday night. Wednesday I ran around like a crazy lady getting groceries, doing laundry etc etc. Thursday I puttered around the house and tried to fight off a headache, today I woke up early with a raging headache. UGH! I haven't done anything weird or different, and I have a fair bit to do today as I'm taking my daughter and her best friend to a dance competition about 4 hours out of town. Blech. I want to go back on holiday. :(

Back
Top Bottom