"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #2891
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I wrap them in hot, wet towels. same effect. Thanks, I will go look at the paraffin dips and see what the temp is.
Good deal. I have arthritis in my right index finger. I have this cycle where the inflammation will flare and instead of treating it, I just compensate with the other fingers, which eventually throws things off and then they're inflamed too, until finally my whole hand hurts. Last spring I got to a point where I couldn't open a jar of peanut butter with that hand. Spent last summer in PT for it and now I'm back to just the one finger and it's manageable. I'm trying to keep my hand strength up and the inflammation down this time so I can keep it in just that finger for a while! I'm really not excited for what that hand will feel like in 30 years or so.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #2892
Executive Chef

I didn't know they still made vacuum cleaner bags.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #2893
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I didn't know they still made vacuum cleaner bags.
They do but they are getting harder and harder to find. Mine is indeed a dinosaur. Hence ordering them on amazon.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #2894
Master Chef

If you guys want to "shop online" I could post pictures of all the things I should be cleaning out of our house! I have to have a garage sale but I hate doing it. Since the kids haven't been small enough to sell their clothes - like almost 30 years now - it seems like too much work for so little results. And price? Arg! This time I think I'll do Burma Shave-style signs telling people "I hate to price/so make your offer/and I'll put money/in my moving coffer."
Old 04-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #2895
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Arrggh. I am scrupulous about checking pockets for kleenex before laundering. However, somehow I missed one. Shreds of kleenex all over everything. Thankfully, this was a load of lights, it usually happens when I do darks. I need a pre-laundry kleenex detector.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #2896
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
Good deal. I have arthritis in my right index finger. I have this cycle where the inflammation will flare and instead of treating it, I just compensate with the other fingers, which eventually throws things off and then they're inflamed too, until finally my whole hand hurts. Last spring I got to a point where I couldn't open a jar of peanut butter with that hand. Spent last summer in PT for it and now I'm back to just the one finger and it's manageable. I'm trying to keep my hand strength up and the inflammation down this time so I can keep it in just that finger for a while! I'm really not excited for what that hand will feel like in 30 years or so.
I didn't know you had problems with a finger. I knew you had other issues though. Just know that my prayers go out for you daily.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #2897
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
I'm going to see if the therapists have anyone getting paraffin treatment. If they do they will let me dip my hands while they have it going.

Amazing how much pain you can handle and then one day it's just too much.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #2898
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
Amazon is the next best thing to sliced bread. I use then a lot for mundane things as well as self indulgent things. I bought a large package of vacuum cleaner bags recently after having spent a half a day and way too much gas going across the island, fighting traffic, trying to find them at a local Sears store. They were all out. What a waste of time that was.
You can also find commonly replaced appliance parts on Amazon. And these are parts stocked at Amazon's warehouses and do not come from third party merchants. In the past few months I've replaced a defrost timer and defrost thermostat on my fridge, also parts for my clothes dryer. They are much cheaper than on-line appliance parts sites or your Sears/Kenmore/Whirlpool or whatever local parts centers.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #2899
Master Chef

If there was a Petty Vent ever, emphasis on "Petty", there is one. It's my daughters big birthday this Sunday and I have to cook, but i so do not feel like it. I have a stupid cold and it is just, well, petty that I have to have it right now.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #2900
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Arrggh. I am scrupulous about checking pockets for kleenex before laundering. However, somehow I missed one. Shreds of kleenex all over everything. Thankfully, this was a load of lights, it usually happens when I do darks. I need a pre-laundry kleenex detector.
I think every pocket I have in all my clothing has a Kleenex in it just waiting to go in the washer. I just tell myself I am helping to keep the environment clean of my germs. Then I shake off all the little pieces of Kleenex. Then my house looks like a snow storm hit it.