Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe the law says you have to charge sales tax for online sales if you have a brick and mortar store in that state.

I believe the law says you have to charge sales tax for online sales if you have a brick and mortar store in that state.

Yes, that's exactly it. If I order from Amazon, no tax in NC, but if I order from Tiger Direct (we have stores here) then I have to pay sales tax.

Some states are making all online retailers charge tax.

I think that was the old law. I think they changed it just recently that it has to be charged for all states. I have no proof of this and I could very well be wrong. Does Amazon have a brick and mortar store anywhere?

I just read Bakechef's post and so maybe what I heard applied to PA.

Last edited:

True Andy. Anytime I ordered from Sears, they added the sales tax. I called the store the first time they ever did that. That is what they told me. I made a very concerted effort not to order from there or any other store that had a building here in Mass. To pay sales tax and shipping was more than I was willing to do. :angel:

I googled this and saw that the bill passed the US Senate in May 2013 but was not expected to pass in the House. I didn't see any more about it, so it probably didn't pass. It seems that stores were complaining because they couldn't compete with the internet because they were required to pay tax. For example, Best Buy said that people would come in to see an item, then once they decided it was what they wanted they would go on their smartphone, right there in the store, and order it from Amazon, or somewhere they did not have to pay tax.

I don't mind paying tax on things I order. I would pay tax in a store, anyway. Shipping is a convenience so you don't have to go out to a store to get the item, and some things are not available in the stores. When I was shopping in Sears for my recliners, I saw the ones I wanted, but wanted to think it over to be sure. Once I decided they were what I wanted I went online to see if I could order them instead of going back to the store. They were each $15 less online. They were having a free shipping special so I also saved there. If I ordered them from the store I would have had to pay delivery charges.

Normally, I do not order something online unless it's something I can't get in the local store.

Where I live, we have a 6% sales tax. In the next county, only a couple miles away, it's 7%. If I buy a car I am charged 6% no matter where I buy it. That was also the case when I ordered kitchen cabinets to be delivered to my home. I have had some internet merchants charge me 7% instead of 6%, but didn't squabble about it because I don't make large purchases online. The tax was minimal.

Louisiana has multiple sales taxes. Sometimes as many as 4 different ones for a sales slip. They range from 4% to 9.9%. They even tax food!

I found out this past week that on the eastern border of Montana, where population is sparse, the closest shopping for some folks is in North Dakota. The town they shop in has separate cash registers for them that do not charge them sales tax. They do have to show ID for this.

^^^ Perhaps those separate cash registers are physically placed on the state line. lol..

Nope, they are firmly in NoDak...I asked.:LOL:

The town realized they were losing sales by charging NoDak sales tax to their Montana customers and found a way to fix it. Montanans will drive the extra 100 miles to avoid paying a sales tax.

Last edited:
Louisiana has multiple sales taxes. Sometimes as many as 4 different ones for a sales slip. They range from 4% to 9.9%. They even tax food!
Is that for all food? Or just in restos and/or luxury foods?

Here it's on resto food, snack food (salted stuff), sweet bakery items like donuts, cupcakes, cookies, if you buy less than 6, carbonated beverages, and I don't remember what other foods - oh yeah, food that is sold hot. There might be more, but basic food doesn't have sales tax. Just as well, it's 5.5% GST (federal) and 9.5% QST (Quebec sales tax).

Nope, they are firmly in NoDak...I asked.:LOL:

The town realized they were losing sales by charging NoDak sales tax to their Montana customers and found a way to fix it. Montanans will drive the extra 100 miles to avoid paying a sales tax.
I guess that's sort of like getting back the VAT you paid in a European country, when you leave.

Is that for all food? Or just in restos and/or luxury foods?

Here it's on resto food, snack food (salted stuff), sweet bakery items like donuts, cupcakes, cookies, if you buy less than 6, carbonated beverages, and I don't remember what other foods - oh yeah, food that is sold hot. There might be more, but basic food doesn't have sales tax. Just as well, it's 5.5% GST (federal) and 9.5% QST (Quebec sales tax).

As far as I can tell, but different foods have different rates. I don't know exactly which ones have which rates, but as far as I can tell everything is taxed.

W have a 6.5% sales tax, state wide. Then a restaurant tax. No food tax except on prepared foods. Like the rotisserie foods, premade sandwiches, etc. No tax on clothing and certain educational materials. No tax on medicines or prescriptions. Except for OTC. No tax on labor services for plumbers, electricians, etc. Only for parts replaced. Special state taxes on cigarettes and gasoline.

We live next door to a tax free state. NH. But their real estate taxes are out of this world. So for those who live just miles from the border, they make a trip every weekend to fill up on their cigarettes and booze. :angel:

Last edited:
All food is taxed here in NC, even basic staples. I was surprised to find that after living in Maine and only having snacks and such taxed. Milk, bread and other staples are taxed at a lower rate here in NC, but still taxed.

All food is taxed here in NC, even basic staples. I was surprised to find that after living in Maine and only having snacks and such taxed. Milk, bread and other staples are taxed at a lower rate here in NC, but still taxed.

The first time I ever heard of 'sales tax' was on my honeymoon in Portland ME. It was in the mid 50's. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom