"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #2931
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I've read that when you put a match to tickets they back out, but they vomit first.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:42 AM   #2932
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've read that when you put a match to tickets they back out, but they vomit first.
Oh good gravy. Now I'm off to take another shower, with pumice stone, Beagle's last vial of Frontline, and bleach. And I'm bringing my pointy tip tweezers with me.

The dog ticks we'd get at the lake were nice and big, easy to see. These little deer ticks are the size of a pin head or smaller.

I'm a big garden person, we need a vaccine!

Old 04-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #2933
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Always worked when Dad did it, he tried the match once on my sister and burned her, after that he did the vaseline. My sister is a tick and mosquito magnet.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:54 AM   #2934
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Always worked when Dad did it, he tried the match once on my sister and burned her, after that he did the vaseline. My sister is a tick and mosquito magnet.
Back in the day. Now we have Uuber ticks! And Lyme disease! I scratched what I thought was a tiny pin-sized scab off my chest yesterday, the scab had legs, and where I scratched bled enough that I had to put a bandaid on it. I incinerated that legged scab pronto.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:31 AM   #2935
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Apparently I either need to wear a HazMat suit or bathe myself in Beagle's Frontline Plus. Was out in the yard cleaning.... I still wish there was something that would work on people. I sure wouldn't wipe it off on the couch or carpet. End of rant.
Even after bathing, they don't go away! Isn't it something that there's no vaccine or preventative?
Oh. I. Wish...there was tick repellant for humans! Himself got a case of Lyme disease about 9-10 years ago. Fortunately it was caught early, he got the 3 or 4 week round of antibiotics, and he's been symptom and side-effect free since. Meanwhile, I am completely paranoid about going out to work in the gardens. Hence, my beds look like total crap. Gotta bundle up, suck it up, and hope the ticks don't land on me and do the same (sucking it up). In our time up here I've plucked only two ticks off of me. Since I am afraid to leave parts behind I've got my own system of cleaning them out: my cuticle clippers. Sterilize both the spot of skin and the blades of the clippers, then nip a bit of a channel good enough to use the tips and grab the little bugger's backside and pull him out. I've since gotten the pointy style tweezers but haven't had to use them. Yet. I HAVE to work in the yard this year if I want the house to have nice curb appeal.

Lyme disease: just one more reason to move back to OH. Per the CDC, last year OH had a total of 49 cases, MA had 3396. That's in spite of the fact that OH has almost twice as many people and is nearly 5 times larger than MA.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #2936
Executive Chef

Now I have 2 reasons why I stay indoors most of the time.

1) allergies
2) ticks
Old 04-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #2937
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Apparently I either need to wear a HazMat suit or bathe myself in Beagle's Frontline Plus. Was out in the yard cleaning out the flower beds, came in and found yet ANOTHER tick under my clothes! My second so far this spring, and we've only had 2 days of nice weather! DH, Beagle and I have all had ticks on us so far. And these are the little (probably) deer ticks. Beagle has been Frontlined, as has the couch and carpet as she hates it, but I still wish there was something that would work on people. I sure wouldn't wipe it off on the couch or carpet. End of rant.
What about Off? For people, not for dogs. (There is a product for dogs also by that name to keep them off the furniture.) Keep a can by the door and every time you go outside for an extended time, spray you legs, feet and the bottom of your clothing. I have never liked the idea of spraying near the face. Or try one of those little clip-ons that have a small fan in them. Ticks can be very scary.

When we lived in Washington, I managed an apartment complex. I had all military tenants. One couple went back home to Oregon for a week's vacation. When they came back, Poo went down to their apartment and they brought him in and let him watch while they unpacked. That night when I undressed him for his bath, I noticed a little black spot on his testicle. Looking closer, I realized it was a tick. A run to the ER. They kept pouring alcohol over it until it backed out. They picked it up with tweezers and put it in a lab vial. A couple of days later I had a woman and man at my door from Wash. D.C. They were from the Federal Department of Health and The National Parks Dept. They wanted to know where my son had picked up the tick. I felt like I was being interrogated for an upcoming prison sentence. It seems that it was a [B]Rocky Mountain Tick![B] The kind that makes you very sick and can kill you.

The next week I had the State's equivalent of the officials at my door. It seems that due to the Columbia River, there are no Rocky Mountain Ticks in the state. Next they knocked on my tenant's door. They fumigated their whole apartment. I ended up at a later date evicting these tenants. They had a dog that was against the lease. I left the apartment empty for a couple of weeks before I went to clean it. When I opened the door, my arms were instantly covered with very hungry fleas. I have some nice scars from the attack. A lot of the bites became infected.

How can anything so small be so dangerous?
Old 04-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #2938
Chef Extraordinaire

I can understand when someone posts pictures to the forum, they may not know how to size them and edit them. But isn't there a way that the site administrators can correct them so that they fit on the page properly? Just curious.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #2939
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I can understand when someone posts pictures to the forum, they may not know how to size them and edit them. But isn't there a way that the site administrators can correct them so that they fit on the page properly? Just curious.
Addie, the forum software usually resizes the pictures and puts a bar on the top with instructions to click the bar for the full size. Sometimes it doesn't work. It would be a lot of work for the admins to resize all of those pix, especially when the software usually does it.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #2940
Head Chef

For information on how to remove a tick properly go to:

Information about Lyme disease