"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #2941
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh good gravy. Now I'm off to take another shower, with pumice stone, Beagle's last vial of Frontline, and bleach. And I'm bringing my pointy tip tweezers with me.

The dog ticks we'd get at the lake were nice and big, easy to see. These little deer ticks are the size of a pin head or smaller.

I'm a big garden person, we need a vaccine!
We once had a dog who was a tick and flea magnet. They just loved him when we went camping we took him into the vet to get a shot to repel them.That was getting costly as my adopting ok, bad habit of picking up and bringing home dogs that other people dumped off was growing into 4 at one time.

We did some checking and have and still use on the dogs and around the house to keep those critters under control. It's cheap. Easily found.Non harmful if used correctly. Boric Acid.

Boric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Scroll down to the uses section.
HTH.

Munky.
__________________

__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #2942
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Thanks Munky!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #2943
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
We did some checking and have and still use on the dogs and around the house to keep those critters under control. It's cheap. Easily found.Non harmful if used correctly. Boric Acid.

Boric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Scroll down to the uses section.
HTH.

Munky.
I've never heard of boric acid used to to kill or control ticks.

I went to Wiki, as suggested:
"Boric acid was first registered in the US as an insecticide in 1948 for control of cockroaches, termites, fire ants, fleas, silverfish, and many other insects. The product is generally considered to be safe to use in household kitchens to control cockroaches and ants.[20] It acts as a stomach poison affecting the insects' metabolism..."

I also read the entry under Toxicology at Wiki.
************************
Ticks are not insects
although they're commonly called an insect by laymen.
Ticks are not Insects: Consequences of Contr... [Parasitol Today. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI
*******************
"What boric acid will NOT kill.

Insects (and non-insects such as ticks) that have piercing mouthparts and feed on plant juices or blood (e.g., bed bugs, lice, aphids) do not groom, so boric acid does not control them.
The larva (immature stage) of insects with complete metamorphosis (beetles, flies, fleas, butterflies & moths, etc.) do not typically groom, so boric acid does not control this life stage. The larval stage is often the stage that does the damage (e.g., clothes moths, stored product beetles and moths, carpet beetles, etc.), so control of larvae is essential to eliminate the problem.

Conclusions.

Boric acid should be treated with respect because it is toxic. It is a pesticide/insecticide.
Boric acid must be properly applied to be effective.
Boric acid will not kill or control insect and tick life stages that have piercing mouthparts.
Boric acid will NOT kill/control bed bugs.
Boric acid will not kill the larval stage of insects."

Toxicity. Both borax and boric acid must be ingested for their toxicity to be expressed.

Borax and Boric Acid for Insect Control [228] | David Moore
************************
If you've been using Boric acid for years I don't want to tell you to stop using it. It's your right to treat as you see fit.
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #2944
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I once had an exterminator use boric acid to get rid of cockroaches. He said that it messed up their breathing. They started crawling out of their hiding places and falling on the floor within minutes. I doubt they were all grooming that quickly. I had to leave the boric acid in place for six weeks so it would kill any newly hatched cockroaches, since it doesn't kill the eggs.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #2945
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Addie, the forum software usually resizes the pictures and puts a bar on the top with instructions to click the bar for the full size. Sometimes it doesn't work. It would be a lot of work for the admins to resize all of those pix, especially when the software usually does it.

Okay, Thank you.

And one for Sheddy!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #2946
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I've never heard of boric acid used to to kill or control ticks.

I went to Wiki, as suggested:
"Boric acid was first registered in the US as an insecticide in 1948 for control of cockroaches, termites, fire ants, fleas, silverfish, and many other insects. The product is generally considered to be safe to use in household kitchens to control cockroaches and ants.[20] It acts as a stomach poison affecting the insects' metabolism..."

I also read the entry under Toxicology at Wiki.
************************
Ticks are not insects
although they're commonly called an insect by laymen.
Ticks are not Insects: Consequences of Contr... [Parasitol Today. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI
*******************
"What boric acid will NOT kill.

Insects (and non-insects such as ticks) that have piercing mouthparts and feed on plant juices or blood (e.g., bed bugs, lice, aphids) do not groom, so boric acid does not control them.
The larva (immature stage) of insects with complete metamorphosis (beetles, flies, fleas, butterflies & moths, etc.) do not typically groom, so boric acid does not control this life stage. The larval stage is often the stage that does the damage (e.g., clothes moths, stored product beetles and moths, carpet beetles, etc.), so control of larvae is essential to eliminate the problem.

Conclusions.

Boric acid should be treated with respect because it is toxic. It is a pesticide/insecticide.
Boric acid must be properly applied to be effective.
Boric acid will not kill or control insect and tick life stages that have piercing mouthparts.
Boric acid will NOT kill/control bed bugs.
Boric acid will not kill the larval stage of insects."

Toxicity. Both borax and boric acid must be ingested for their toxicity to be expressed.

Borax and Boric Acid for Insect Control [228] | David Moore
************************
If you've been using Boric acid for years I don't want to tell you to stop using it. It's your right to treat as you see fit.
Excuse me for not being more specific in my post.
What I had forgotten to mention after he picked a tick up while camping,no vet was around where we were camping, it's head was already inside his belly. We got it out completely with a lit cigarette.It backed right out.

My other point was in my mind but not typed up. We used and still use it as a preventive as a flea/ant repellant for living on an ant hill during spring and summer months. And that's using it sparingly.Living in the country all his 16 years of life and only picking up that one away from home wasn't too bad.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #2947
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Excuse me for not being more specific in my post.
That's fine.
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #2948
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I can understand when someone posts pictures to the forum, they may not know how to size them and edit them. But isn't there a way that the site administrators can correct them so that they fit on the page properly? Just curious.
You know that saying about a picture being worth a thousand words? Just think of those big pictures as saving you reading about 2000 words that could, quite possibly, be only mediocre anyway.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #2949
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I've never heard of boric acid used to to kill or control ticks.

I went to Wiki, as suggested:
"Boric acid was first registered in the US as an insecticide in 1948 for control of cockroaches, termites, fire ants, fleas, silverfish, and many other insects. The product is generally considered to be safe to use in household kitchens to control cockroaches and ants.[20] It acts as a stomach poison affecting the insects' metabolism..."

I also read the entry under Toxicology at Wiki.
************************
Ticks are not insects although they're commonly called an insect by laymen.
Ticks are not Insects: Consequences of Contr... [Parasitol Today. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI
*******************
"What boric acid will NOT kill.

Insects (and non-insects such as ticks) that have piercing mouthparts and feed on plant juices or blood (e.g., bed bugs, lice, aphids) do not groom, so boric acid does not control them.
The larva (immature stage) of insects with complete metamorphosis (beetles, flies, fleas, butterflies & moths, etc.) do not typically groom, so boric acid does not control this life stage. The larval stage is often the stage that does the damage (e.g., clothes moths, stored product beetles and moths, carpet beetles, etc.), so control of larvae is essential to eliminate the problem.

Conclusions.

Boric acid should be treated with respect because it is toxic. It is a pesticide/insecticide.
Boric acid must be properly applied to be effective.
Boric acid will not kill or control insect and tick life stages that have piercing mouthparts.
Boric acid will NOT kill/control bed bugs.
Boric acid will not kill the larval stage of insects."

Toxicity. Both borax and boric acid must be ingested for their toxicity to be expressed.

Borax and Boric Acid for Insect Control [228] | David Moore
************************
If you've been using Boric acid for years I don't want to tell you to stop using it. It's your right to treat as you see fit.
The house we had in Spain was over-run with ants and the only successful treatment was borax laid where they were getting into the house. Worked wonders. Borax is no longer available in this country due to it's toxicity
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #2950
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
When I awoke this morning I found I can't close the right side of my jaw without a lot of pain. Not sure if it's TMJ or some type of infection. I had a crown put in last summer, and afterward the gum behind the crown felt weird. When I got my teeth cleaned a couple months ago, X-rays didn't show anything unusual, and dentist didn't think it was anything. But today I can't chew! Guess we're not going out to dinner tonight.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.