"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-03-2014, 02:34 AM   #2961
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
When I awoke this morning I found I can't close the right side of my jaw without a lot of pain... But today I can't chew! Guess we're not going out to dinner tonight.
Pardon my French, but that's a hell of a diet plan! Hope you're feeling better soon. Like you said, steak in a blender just wouldn't work.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #2962
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks guys. Got up today, and my jaw had unlocked! I can chew again! Very strange.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #2963
Head Chef

Quote:
Thanks guys. Got up today, and my jaw had unlocked! I can chew again! Very strange.
As I said----- sometimes they just 'cure' themselves. Often when the person relaxes about it (such as sleeping).

Glad it all worked out.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #2964
Executive Chef

Quote:

I think I would still get it checked out. It could happen again if you don't really know what caused it.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #2965
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post

I think I would still get it checked out. It could happen again if you don't really know what caused it.
I think so too. It was hard going through a whole day not being able to chew! I didn't think my Friday night dinner of applesauce and Greek yogurt was really worthy of the What's for Dinner thread.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #2966
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Dawg---- be very careful if you do go to a dentist to find out what happened.
TMJ disorders are often a cash cow for some dentists. I know because I worked for one.

There actually could be something that shows on an x-ray that might need attending to. One of those is a 'slipped disc' between the mandible and the maxilla. It produces a clicking sound.

I've lived with this crepitus for decades and never had anything done for it. On the very rare times my jaw got 'stuck' just heat and relaxing helped it.

But some dentists will tell you that needs to be 'adjusted'.

Be VERY careful.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #2967
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

Dawg---- be very careful if you do go to a dentist to find out what happened.
TMJ disorders are often a cash cow for some dentists. I know because I worked for one.

There actually could be something that shows on an x-ray that might need attending to. One of those is a 'slipped disc' between the mandible and the maxilla. It produces a clicking sound.

I've lived with this crepitus for decades and never had anything done for it. On the very rare times my jaw got 'stuck' just heat and relaxing helped it.

But some dentists will tell you that needs to be 'adjusted'.

Be VERY careful.
Thanks Cave. My dentist and hygenist didn't see anything wrong, and both chalked it up to TMJ, as in there was nothing they could do about it. I still think it might have had something to do with the crown and possible infection or an allergy to the new material that was used in it. I'll have to be even more assertive.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #2968
Master Chef

Quote:
Thanks Cave. My dentist and hygenist didn't see anything wrong, and both chalked it up to TMJ, as in there was nothing they could do about it. I still think it might have had something to do with the crown and possible infection or an allergy to the new material that was used in it. I'll have to be even more assertive.
I think you were jsut talking too much, and your jaw muscles were rebelling for a short time.

Seriously, I'm happy that the problem corrected itself.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #2969
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

I think you were jsut talking too much, and your jaw muscles were rebelling for a short time.

Seriously, I'm happy that the problem corrected itself.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Yeah, that must be it, Chief If that's the case, you've never met DH! He can talk a blue streak around me! (and maybe you too!)
Old 05-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #2970
Master Chef

Quote:
Yeah, that must be it, Chief If that's the case, you've never met DH! He can talk a blue streak around me! (and maybe you too!)
All I can say to that is, WOW!

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote