"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #2971
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

All I can say to that is, WOW!

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Whenever I tire of DH's verbal dissertations and pontifications, I only have to read one of your posts, Chief. It resets my mind! You are much less verbose!

Old 05-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #2972
Head Chef

Poor spelling by people who should know better!

I'm not talking about our conversations in a forum or private emails!

No, I'm talking about poor spelling by people who make their living by writing.

"Depricate" was used in an article I just read. Even spell check would ''bleep" at that. Did the author not bother to double check?

"Hire Wire" was used instead of "High Wire" in another article. Sure, spell check would let that through (being ignorant when it comes to grammar, just as I am) but a simple read-through should have caught the eye of someone!

What would Edwin Newman think?

"In 1974 Newman's first book, Strictly Speaking: Will America be the Death of English? reached Number 1 on the New York Times nonfiction bestseller list."

Edwin Newman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

O.K. now I've shown my Codgerly-ness again!

Old 05-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #2973
Master Chef

Yep, this is truly a petty vent. I lost 5 straight chess games to my computer. I'm used to winning, or at least tying. Now I'm just feeling stupid.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #2974
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I'm not talking about our conversations in a forum or private emails!

No, I'm talking about poor spelling by people who make their living by writing.

"Depricate" was used in an article I just read. Even spell check would ''bleep" at that. Did the author not bother to double check?

"Hire Wire" was used instead of "High Wire" in another article. Sure, spell check would let that through (being ignorant when it comes to grammar, just as I am) but a simple read-through should have caught the eye of someone!

What would Edwin Newman think?

"In 1974 Newman's first book, Strictly Speaking: Will America be the Death of English? reached Number 1 on the New York Times nonfiction bestseller list."

Edwin Newman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

O.K. now I've shown my Codgerly-ness again!
I get upset about local news reports I get in my e-mail. The spelling and grammar are so bad, makes you wonder how they graduated out of college...then I remember they are updates from the TV news, they don't HAVE to know how to spell.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #2975
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I get upset about local news reports I get in my e-mail. The spelling and grammar are so bad, makes you wonder how they graduated out of college...then I remember they are updates from the TV news, they don't HAVE to know how to spell.
Without a doubt, internet blogs, etc. have increased our exposure to bad grammar, spelling and rambling sentences. Drives me crazy.

What's your excuse for misspelling words when you have spell checkers. Does no one proof read anymore?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #2976
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm forever editing because I see I've misspelled something. People just have no sense of right anymore, it seems.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #2977
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...What's your excuse for misspelling words when you have spell checkers. Does no one proof read anymore?
Nope. I actually emailed a reporter for our town's paper, chiding her on poor spelling, grammar, and word usage. Her excuse? She has to research, interview, compose, and edit (apparently minimally) 12-14 stories per printing cycle. This is for a number of town weeklies! Somehow I find it hard to believe that she can't do 2-3 stories a day, unless she is paid by the piece and not hourly. In that case I can see how someone with a high tolerance of errors could hurry through.

What really bothers me is when I find errors in books! Especially context errors. Did not one of the proofreaders or the editor actually read for content? *shaking my head*
Old 05-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #2978
Executive Chef

Petty Vents

PF, I thought I was the queen of "editing". Good to know I'm not alone.
Most of my edits are related to thumb typing on my phone.

CG, I recently read an e-book, that I accessed through a Facebook post. There were several grammatical errors and some continuity errors. Since the book had a Facebook page, I wrote a post saying that I enjoyed the book, but that those errors detracted from what might otherwise have been a good book. The author actually wrote a post back saying there were no errors! WTH!
Bad form all the way around, I say! I won't be purchasing any of her books. Constructive criticism should help us
grow. The same for your newspaper reporter, (it's her job) making excuses is unacceptable, just take the information and learn from it.

And.......yes I did have to edit this post!
😏 twice!
Old 05-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #2979
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Most of my Kindle books contain errors of some sort. Nature of the beast?

I have a friend who lives in another country, we see each other as often as we can. She cannot spell, and never proofreads anything! She's on several boards that I'm on, and I just cringe every time I see one of her posts with misspellings. She once posted in answering as to where to get cheap shirts, that she gets her sh*ts at ..... I thought it was hilarious, and pointed it out, telling her to proofread her post, as several others did as well. Much merriment ensued, she didn't get it, then she took down her whole post. She didn't speak to me for a week! Then I caught her making fun of someone else's typo, and just shook my head.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:27 AM   #2980
Chef Extraordinaire

The title of a book, article or other piece should have every word begin with a capital letter. Or so I was taught in school. Our large city (and national) newspaper decided years ago that this was a silly rule. So they just dropped it. When you children see such blatant misuse of our language, why should they strive to be correct? After all, if it is good enough for a nationally acclaimed publication like The Boston Globe, it should be good enough for my teacher and the rest of the world. I have seen the paper make such horrible errors like "Billy bulger gets life." Even proper names no longer have to have the rule applied?

My daughter has always been terrible with her spelling. And so are a lot of her colleagues. But at least she recognizes her shortcomings. She was forever calling me from work asking me to spell a word for her. It got so bad that when her friends at work needed a correct spelling she was calling for them if she didn't know. She finally gave them my number to call. Then they got windows with Spellcheck. At last, peace for me.

I have found that over the years, the cheaper the cost of the printed work, the more errors you will find. Very rarely do I find an error in a hardbound book. They have a very large staff of editors and proofreaders. But that is no excuse for the rest of the printing world. Not in today's world of "Spellcheck".