"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-05-2014, 05:04 AM   #2981
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm thinking that bad spellers just don't care. Usually their message gets across anyway so why care? If they care, it just reminds them that they are bad spellers. People don't want to be reminded of their shortcomings.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #2982
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
A friend of mine is, among other things, a copy editor. She was copy editing a book. Unfortunately, when the spell checker flagged a word, the author just added the word to the dictionary for that document. This was back in the early '90s. It made my friend's job much more work.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #2983
Head Chef

#@IC spling tk'd abt. Def bad! Pls retweet. BFN
Old 05-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #2984
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
#@IC spling tk'd abt. Def bad! Pls retweet. BFN
I have a clue what any of that means.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #2985
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'm thinking that bad spellers just don't care. Usually their message gets across anyway so why care? If they care, it just reminds them that they are bad spellers. People don't want to be reminded of their shortcomings.
That's probably part of it, but bad writing, spelling and grammar have become so common that many people probably don't even realize something is wrong.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #2986
Head Chef

Should we blame the Twittersphere?
Old 05-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #2987
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Should we blame the Twittersphere?
and texting, and TV, and popularization of urban slang, showing as "cool" for the youth.

Oh oh; I'm about to get on a soapbox about all of the ills of society, and what cause them. Somebody, quick, remove the soapbox from my reach. The health of DC, the nation, the very world may depend on it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #2988
Master Chef

I don't even have to be reading something to get annoyed by composition errors. Personally I would like to see every sports person and politician get dinged with a $$$ fine for using the words or phrases "um", "like", "you know", and all the other fillers people use while trying to figure out how to get an idea across. Thanks to Miss Liguzinski, my 5th grade teacher, for drumming good speaking patterns into our heads. Each day one of the students was put in charge of The Notebook, which recorded when a student used any of those fillers. I think the fine was something like 5 cents per infraction. When the kitty got pretty full, we'd have a classroom party with pizza or a movie and popcorn. By the end of 5th grade every one of us in the class was competent and fluent. To this day I can go off with an extemporaneous speech on any subject that interests me - much to the amusement or annoyance of Himself, depending on his mood!

Now the popular thing among young professionals and "the educated" seems to be starting out sentences with something like "And" or "So" even if all you're doing is replying to a question. It's not like you're using the word to string two sentences together! "Uptalk" too, that's another complaint of mine. Don't know what that is? Ending every danged sentence with a question mark? If you're making a declarative sentence then you don't end it in a question? GAH! As far as I can tell, it seems like you aren't sure about what you're stating and you need affirmation. To me it's a sign of weakness. OK, end of rant.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #2989
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I don't even have to be reading something to get annoyed by composition errors. Personally I would like to see every sports person and politician get dinged with a $$$ fine for using the words or phrases "um", "like", "you know", and all the other fillers people use while trying to figure out how to get an idea across. Thanks to Miss Liguzinski, my 5th grade teacher, for drumming good speaking patterns into our heads. Each day one of the students was put in charge of The Notebook, which recorded when a student used any of those fillers. I think the fine was something like 5 cents per infraction. When the kitty got pretty full, we'd have a classroom party with pizza or a movie and popcorn. By the end of 5th grade every one of us in the class was competent and fluent. To this day I can go off with an extemporaneous speech on any subject that interests me - much to the amusement or annoyance of Himself, depending on his mood!

Now the popular thing among young professionals and "the educated" seems to be starting out sentences with something like "And" or "So" even if all you're doing is replying to a question. It's not like you're using the word to string two sentences together! "Uptalk" too, that's another complaint of mine. Don't know what that is? Ending every danged sentence with a question mark? If you're making a declarative sentence then you don't end it in a question? GAH! As far as I can tell, it seems like you aren't sure about what you're stating and you need affirmation. To me it's a sign of weakness. OK, end of rant.
As a prospective author, I spend a good deal of time writing and proofreading. And yet, as careful as I try to be, every time I proofread my work, even if it's for the tenth time, I still find ways to improve a sentence, or find a dangling participle, or find "there" when I meant to write "their". I'm also always finding ways to make sentences less wordy, and more clear at the same time.

Technical report writing was much easier than creative writing. The rules are more clear. I don't have to worry about transitions between character dialogue, especially when writing in first person.

I have been searching for a friend, or partner,who could help with my novels, with whom I would share sale profits with, literally for years. I've been told by multiple agents that my work is almost ready for publishing, and that the stories are very good. And yet, I just can't seem to be satisfied enough to pull the trigger. I want to e-publish, but want my novels to be high quality work that's worth reading.

My gripe, creative fiction is darned, hard work, sometimes taking several years to get the work right.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #2990
Head Chef

Although I'm sloppy with emails when I need to be better I've always found The Elements of Style. William Strunk, Jr. to be my Go To reference.