Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Craft projects with her gang of old girlfriends.

She used to get upset with me because I did not want wreaths made out of computer punch cards, angels made out of old Readers Digests, plastic crosses made out of Styrofoam egg cartons etc...

Crafts make me twitch! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I caught the end of a show last night where a woman was showing "crafts" that could be given as gifts. One project was taking blank cds and gluing felt "feet" to them to use as coasters. No I'm not joking, just 4 tiny felt pads on a blank cd, 4 of them wrapped up with a red ribbon. :wacko:

Craft projects with her gang of old girlfriends.

She used to get upset with me because I did not want wreaths made out of computer punch cards, angels made out of old Readers Digests, plastic crosses made out of Styrofoam egg cartons etc...

Crafts make me twitch! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

At least you don't have to worry about computer punch cards any more.

I tried to have that problem, but just didn't have the room, so I finally learned to use the trash can. Yep, I'd find a use for that box or bubble wrap within a day or so, but I'd have to just go out and get some. PITA? Yes!, but it keeps my apartment clutter free and I do love to shop, so I get to do one of my favorite things (shop) and still keep my apartment from becoming a hoarder's nightmare. LOL

I have a large white cabinet that I keep all my craft stuff in. And at the bottom are two drawers where my sheets and other linens go. I have never been one to pile stuff on top of other furniture. So on top of that cabinet I have stupid knick knacks that have been given to me as presents. They always require dusting. I finally gave up and just let them collect dust.

In the kitchen, there is no way I can reach the top shelves in the cabinet. So what I save are those pasta sauce jars that look like Mason jars. They are stored up there. I have to ask Spike to get one down when I need it. I only have about five of them. It is all I need to use for the fudge sauce I make for a couple of folks who ask for it. I keep telling them to bring back the ones that are empty, but I am talking to an empty brain. It is the only thing I save. My extra grocery bags go to the food bank. :angel:

Oh, I save jars that I actually will use, especially small ones for salad dressing or spice mixes. When I said my mum saved jars, I was talking about every glass jar that came in the house, cupboards and boxes full of them, that she didn't use, and empty booze bottles. I also saved every jar from Classico. Those are canning jars and the lids are great. So much nicer to use a regular jar lid on an opened canning jar than those two piece lids. I don't buy Classico pasta sauces anymore, 'cause they have soy oil and I'm not supposed to have unfermented soy.

I am sitting here thinking about the empty jars I use for the chocolate sauce. Every time I send a jar to either one of the folks I make it for, I always ask for the empty jar back so I can refill it. I never get it back. So the next time I am asked for the sauce, the answer is going to be "No! I don't have any empty jars." Maybe then they will get the message.

I really think it is rude of them. Grant you it is just a pasta sauce jar. But I have asked several times. Yet they don't hesitate to ask for the sauce.

I need to get some happy thoughts. :angel:

Addie, That might teach them a lesson. My son returns every jar I give him, because he cans a lot and complains that his friends never return the jars from salsa etc he has made for them, so he knows what it's like. I never get them back from my daughter. In fact, I have a real nice thermal container I give to her when I give her stuffed cabbage. She never brings it back until she is coming over to get the next batch of stuffed cabbage, so I guess it's hers now.

I swear I am going to have a stroke before I can get into the insurance website so that I can have insurance when I have my stroke! :ohmy:

Amazon should have been the insurance seller. Or Wal-Mart. THEY both know how to sell online. ;)

I swear I am going to have a stroke before I can get into the insurance website so that I can have insurance when I have my stroke! :ohmy:

Amazon should have been the insurance seller. Or Wal-Mart. THEY both know how to sell online. ;)

Don't worry about having a stroke. Affordable Care covers pre-existing conditions. :angel:

Don't worry about having a stroke. Affordable Care covers pre-existing conditions. :angel:

But it's not retroactive!

My nephew has been giving me updates on his experience with the website. He can get in, but everything is not clear to him, and there's someone he keeps calling who helps him through the bumps in the road. He said they are very helpful and they speak English. He has not made his final choice yet.

I thought there was a thread somewhere for more serious vents rather than petty ones and this one is not petty! During these times when so many are struggling to make ends meet, I just read an article in the paper about Food Stamp Fraud. The $$ amount is outrageous! No only are people advertising on the internet to sell their allotment for 50 cents on the dollar, there are several stores in my area who were cited for paying out cash to people for 50 cents on a dollar. They stores get caught because their food stamp usage is higher than normal so they get investigated. These store owners only receive probation for this. I know there are people who take other family members with them shopping to take advantage of their food stamp allotment that is higher than their needs. This is why so many people complain about the government give away programs, but this is a worthwhile and needed program when it's handled honestly. When my husband had a young family, his company went on strike and he signed up for Food Stamps. He told me they would send him two allotments in one week, and even one allotment was more than he could every spend for food for a family of 4. He tried to return the duplicate allotments and was told that they could not take them back, just spend them.

I get so angry about the people who work at jobs getting paid under the table, then accept help in the form of food stamps and welfare, and then actually brag about it!!

Carol, the food stamp program is funded by the federal government, but administered by each state individually. In this state, if you get caught, you automatically lose your food stamps or if a store is guilty, they have their EBT machine confiscated. Most are prosecuted and have to pay the state back. Store owners also face the possibility of losing their milk license, and other state licenses that relate to food. The loss of the milk license covers all foods that are derived from milk. Cheeses, yogurt, half and half, etc. The loss in income is just not worth it. And they know it. The recipient can lose their drivers license until they pay the state back the money that was defrauded. When you apply here, the system is automatically set up so that your SS number is run through every bank in the state along with on-line ones. If your stated income on your application doesn't match up with what they find in the bank hunt, you are denied. A lot of folks here have friends in NH. They will use their address to try to collect food stamps in both states. They get caught by both states. Along with Maine and RI. They have to wait a year before they can apply again. We have one of the lowest number of folks on food stamps. Once a year you have to reapply. It doesn't just continue automatically. The same rules apply for the renewal as the first application.

I got caught once. All for $5.00 in my savings account. I forgot to list it. I keep that in there for the sole purpose of keeping the account open. The worker understood and I was approved. :angel:

Addie, I don't know much about the food stamp program. I just know that the article in todays paper said the store owners got probation...it didn't say anything about fines, or losing licenses, but they might have just not included that information in the article. There are a lot of low income people in this area and for them, I am glad that these programs exist. But I see a lot of individuals in the paper getting caught for fraud and they have to make restitution. I just didn't realize just how much the fraud was overall!

I'm upset, frustrated, and just tired of red tape bs. Hubby and I are trying to get through the adoption approval process through the public ministry, and just got another monkey wrench thrown at us. We applied in January of 2013, and still are working through this. One of the things we were not looking at was a legal risk placement, due to the uncertainty factor for the child/children and us as well. We had a meeting tonight, and effective Jan 1, 2014 all placements will be considered legal risk until the adoption is finalized (anywhere up to 16 months or so). Basically it boils down to the birth parents/family would be able to appeal and possibly overturn any placement up until the time the adoption is finalized. It's a small risk, but a risk none the less. 90% of adoptions will proceed exactly as they do now, but the 10% possibility scares the hell out of me. I just want a family, is that so much to ask? My heart is breaking just a little bit, and we have less than 2 weeks to decide. If we say no, this is the end of all the work we've done over the last year. If we say yes, it's a totally different ball game.

Legal risk adoption - also known as 'foster to adopt' or 'foster with a view to adopt'. This type of adoption occurs when a child is placed in a home as a foster child and is later adopted by his/her foster parents. This type of adoption is a 'legal risk adoption' because the courts have not yet made the child legally free to be adopted and there is still a chance that he/she may be returned to his/her biological family. Children are considered a legal risk but only a small percentage of children placed through the 'foster to adopt' program are returned to their biological families.

I'm upset, frustrated, and just tired of red tape bs. Hubby and I are trying to get through the adoption approval process through the public ministry, and just got another monkey wrench thrown at us. We applied in January of 2013, and still are working through this. One of the things we were not looking at was a legal risk placement, due to the uncertainty factor for the child/children and us as well. We had a meeting tonight, and effective Jan 1, 2014 all placements will be considered legal risk until the adoption is finalized (anywhere up to 16 months or so). Basically it boils down to the birth parents/family would be able to appeal and possibly overturn any placement up until the time the adoption is finalized. It's a small risk, but a risk none the less. 90% of adoptions will proceed exactly as they do now, but the 10% possibility scares the hell out of me. I just want a family, is that so much to ask? My heart is breaking just a little bit, and we have less than 2 weeks to decide. If we say no, this is the end of all the work we've done over the last year. If we say yes, it's a totally different ball game.

Legal risk adoption - also known as 'foster to adopt' or 'foster with a view to adopt'. This type of adoption occurs when a child is placed in a home as a foster child and is later adopted by his/her foster parents. This type of adoption is a 'legal risk adoption' because the courts have not yet made the child legally free to be adopted and there is still a chance that he/she may be returned to his/her biological family. Children are considered a legal risk but only a small percentage of children placed through the 'foster to adopt' program are returned to their biological families.

Oh, Toffi, it sounds so frustrating! {{{{Toffi}}}}

Here's hoping things work out for you and Hub!

:wub: Toffi, my heart goes out to you and your husband. If it were me, I would say "go for it!" If it turns out that any child placed with you is returned to their parents, at least you know that you showed a child what real love in a family is. You will have given a child a lifetime of memories. Don't give up. There is a child out there for you both. :angel:

:wub: Toffi, my heart goes out to you and your husband. If it were me, I would say "go for it!" If it turns out that any child placed with you is returned to their parents, at least you know that you showed a child what real love in a family is. You will have given a child a lifetime of memories. Don't give up. There is a child out there for you both. :angel:

I agree!

I would rather have a broken heart because I chose to help a child than have one because I didn't.

Back
Top Bottom