Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A valet key opens the door and starts the car but won't open the glove compartment or trunk. So if you give your key to a valet to park the car he can't open the GC to check for valuables.

A valet key opens the door and starts the car but won't open the glove compartment or trunk. So if you give your key to a valet to park the car he can't open the GC to check for valuables.

My electric trunk popper won't work if a valet key has been used, not until the regular key is put back into the ignition.

I'm not sure what a valet key is. My remote entry key unlocks the vehicle and starts the engine. I don't know if its different with Volvo. Mine is a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid.

I'm glad you didn't get stuck outside!
A valet key is also called the service key, "The service key will operate only the driver's door and the ignition switch. It is intended to help deter unwanted entry into the glove compartment and trunk."

I have to put the physical key into the ignition to start the car.

This is what my keys looks like:

pg116.jpg

The key part of the master key is on a pivot and flips into the black part. It's a master key that I lost.

My valet key causes the Honda's car alarm to go off. At least when DH tries to open the door with it.

I just checked eBay. For one that fits my model and year, the cheapest one was $88 + shipping. They also say that it might be programmable by the owner, but it might need to be programmed by a locksmith or the dealer. This isn't looking very encouraging.

I used Norton a long time ago and at first, I really liked it. Then it started to be a huge memory hog and slowed down my machine. I think there was something else I didn't like. I got McAfee and really liked it for a while. Eventually found it to be too much of a PITA. I used AVG for quite a while. I heard good stuff about Kaspersky from geeky friends. I don't hate it yet. :ermm:
When I had AVG on my old machine it was a bl**dy nuisance. It slowed everything down. I have Norton now as it came with my laptop so I renewed it when it expired. People speak unflatteringly about it but it's been OK so far.

Poo always asks me, "Ma what do you want for......? This year I wanted a cover for my KA. So I went looking. Only Chefs Catalog had them in blue and it was only $19.99. Sears wanted almost $58.00. The prices were all over the place. And one place had it in plastic. What's with that. In six months it would be dry, cracked and brittle. And it cost more than some of the others. The KA site doesn't show the price until you place the order. They will never get my business. :angel:
There's a lady on the *Ebay** UK (no use to you, I know) who makes PVC coated fabric covers for kitchen appliances to order. I have black ones with white polka dots to match my new black and white kitchen. She's very reasonable in price and goes to a lot of trouble to get it right. Perhaps there's someone similar on *Ebay* US

**Durr, stupid me I meant *AMAZON*.

Last edited:
When I had AVG on my old machine it was a bl**dy nuisance. It slowed everything down. I have Norton now as it came with my laptop so I renewed it when it expired. People speak unflatteringly about it but it's been OK so far.
I have heard it has gotten better. It seems to me that a lot of that security/privacy/anti-spam stuff starts out good and then they "improve" it and it becomes a memory hog.

I phoned the bus companys customer service. They will be getting found stuff between 12h and 13h, so call back after 13h. Sigh.

I checked with the folks on the BrickBoard. It looks like a real PITA if I buy the replacement key on eBay and have to have the key cut and the programmed. Apparently most dealerships want ~ $200 to do that. So, I ordered a new master key. It's gonna cost ~$350 and includes programming. My independent garage, Swedish Auto, has placed the order with Volvo and it comes with the key already cut. They verified that they have the right VIN for my car.

Cute PF, cute. And Addie? It's only funny if you aren't the one going through Healthcare Hell. I finally relaxed when we dropped the check off on Saturday. What a mucked up website it is.

When one of my Honda keys broke, I looked online to find a fix. Found a really nice guy named Gene, he has several do-it-yourself videos on YouTube about how to fix keys, and has a business. I contacted him, sent him the guts of the broken key, and for $34US, he fixed it! A dealership would have charged me $300+. I think he does Volvo keys too. I know it doesn't help now, Taxy, but for future reference.

There's a lady on the *Ebay** UK (no use to you, I know) who makes PVC coated fabric covers for kitchen appliances to order. I have black ones with white polka dots to match my new black and white kitchen. She's very reasonable in price and goes to a lot of trouble to get it right. Perhaps there's someone similar on *Ebay* US

**Durr, stupid me I meant *AMAZON*.

Poo already ordered it and has it wrapped. Thanks anyway! :angel:

Last Wednesday my girlfriend in Atlanta sent me a package Overnight Express via UPS. Here it is Monday noon and I still don't have it. My UPS man usually comes around 5 p.m. I hope it comes today, or UPS is going to have to listen to her and return some money. Overnight Express can cost a pretty penny. I know it is Christmas, and they are probably swamped. But they shouldn't be taking the money for it if they can't deliver the service. :angel:

When one of my Honda keys broke, I looked online to find a fix. Found a really nice guy named Gene, he has several do-it-yourself videos on YouTube about how to fix keys, and has a business. I contacted him, sent him the guts of the broken key, and for $34US, he fixed it! A dealership would have charged me $300+. I think he does Volvo keys too. I know it doesn't help now, Taxy, but for future reference.
It might be useful. Stirling has a master key, but the remote part is broken. He doesn't care enough about the broken remote part to spend $300+. But, it might be worth $34+ shipping, etc. I'll wait until I have my new master key.

I can't find him on YouTube. But, I found a locksmith advert. I will ask my locksmith if she can do this. I have to go get a house key today. It's an Abloy, so I have to go to a locksmith, not a hardware store. It's 6.5 km in the opposite direction from today's shopping, but needs to be done.

Cute PF, cute. And Addie? It's only funny if you aren't the one going through Healthcare Hell. I finally relaxed when we dropped the check off on Saturday. What a mucked up website it is.

+1

And CG .. glad to hear you got that check dropped off so you could begin to relax.

Hope you are having a wonderful time ... looking forward to your return !

Phoned the transit lost and found. No luck yet. I can try again tomorrow before 14h. I don't know if we would have time to pick it up if they do have it tomorrow. We are heading for Cornwall, Ontario tomorrow and want to leave before traffic gets heavy.

I drove the 13 km round trip to the locksmith. Just over $41 including sales tax for two keys. It took a quarter of an hour for the first km, because of traffic, snow on the road, and a snowplow. The keys don't work. They look exactly like the old one. The locksmith is closing for the holidays today at 18h and opening at 09h on 3 January.
th_gaahsmiley.gif

It just gets "better". I forgot that we were going to visit friends tonight for games and pizza. I still had too much stuff to do, and pooped myself out shopping. I didn't remember until Stirling asked when we would be leaving. I said I wouldn't be able to go. He decided that he wasn't feeling well enough to take public transit. He has a cough that migrated from tickle the throat to tickle the chest. Well, it just kept getting worse and now he is full out sick. Just as well we cancelled with the friends.

I phoned my M-I-L and told her we wouldn't be able to come for Xmas. :( I phoned the lady who was going to board Shreddy. I guess I'll be making tourtière here, instead of at the M-I-L's place.

Why oh why, do things happen at the most inopportune time? I am so sorry to hear of all the dilemmas that seem to have come your way.

:angel::angel: One for each of you!

Just remember to put your money out on New Years Eve and hopefully things will turn around for you. ((((HUGS!)))) :angel:

Back
Top Bottom