"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #3051
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

Life in the country! And mosquito season is just starting!

I found some Afterbite, it seems to help with the itchy welts. Picked a tick off Beagle the other day, thankfully haven't found any new ones on me lately.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #3052
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Life in the country! And mosquito season is just starting!

I found some Afterbite, it seems to help with the itchy welts. Picked a tick off Beagle the other day, thankfully haven't found any new ones on me lately.
Dawg, when I was living in Hawaii, Poo got some nasty mosquito bites that became infected. I had a very large aloe plant growing outside my door. I pinched off a piece and squeezed out some of the gel. Instantly they stopped itching and showed improvement in just a couple of hours. The infection cleared up with just the aloe gel. Even when we came back stateside, I bought an aloe plant and used it every summer to take care of any insect bites.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #3053
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Dawg, when I was living in Hawaii, Poo got some nasty mosquito bites that became infected. I had a very large aloe plant growing outside my door. I pinched off a piece and squeezed out some of the gel. Instantly they stopped itching and showed improvement in just a couple of hours. The infection cleared up with just the aloe gel. Even when we came back stateside, I bought an aloe plant and used it every summer to take care of any insect bites.
Aloe is amazing stuff, isn't it? Great for burns too. We always take a bottle with us when we head south for sun.

I'm impressed with Afterbite. It also stopped the itching immediately.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #3054
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Aloe is amazing stuff, isn't it? Great for burns too. We always take a bottle with us when we head south for sun.

I'm impressed with Afterbite. It also stopped the itching immediately.
I have even put aloe on my sons shoulders when they got sunburned.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #3055
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I have even put aloe on my sons shoulders when they got sunburned.
Yes, it really helps with the pain and healing of sunburn.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #3056
Executive Chef

Quote:
The gnats are HORRID this year! Now the pesky Eye gnats have been joined by the Buffalo gnats, the ones that bite and leave big itchy welts. Absorbine Jr only works for a brief period of time. Does not make for fun gardening.
When we were in Spain for several years we had man-eating mosquitos. We found oil of citronella was the best repellent. The mozzies hated it and it didn't smell vile like a lot of the proprietary products.

As for Beagle (is he a dog?), will he eat food with garlic in it? I add 100% garlic powder (sold for horses) to Horse's food 365 days a year. It builds up in the system and he is free of fly bites all summer. It also worked on my old mare who was a martyr to sweet itch (caused by the culcoides midge) despite having her mane hogged and the only thing which worked was the garlic. It doesn't work immediately and it needs to be fed all year round to be effective.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #3057
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
When we were in Spain for several years we had man-eating mosquitos. We found oil of citronella was the best repellent. The mozzies hated it and it didn't smell vile like a lot of the proprietary products.

As for Beagle (is he a dog?), will he eat food with garlic in it? I add 100% garlic powder (sold for horses) to Horse's food 365 days a year. It builds up in the system and he is free of fly bites all summer. It also worked on my old mare who was a martyr to sweet itch (caused by the culcoides midge) despite having her mane hogged and the only thing which worked was the garlic. It doesn't work immediately and it needs to be fed all year round to be effective.

We have a local company that makes a citronella based gnat spray, but it wears off in about 5 minutes. It does smell nice though.

Garlic isn't good for dogs. We do apply some gnat spray, or Absorbine Jr to her ears.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #3058
Chef Extraordinaire

Mosquitos can smell. Who knew?

I forgot about the garlic. And old Italian remedy. How about just tying a couple of cloves of garlic in a small piece of netting to her collar? Or even rubbing some on her coat every day or two?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #3059
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

The gnats don't bother Beagle like they do us.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #3060
Executive Chef

I wonder if that's why mosquitos never bite me. I eat garlic every day. They head straight for DH. He eats sweets all day.