Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found this online...think it's your sleep hygiene program. The only thing I disagree with is the last one. I think the partner should be the one to go sleep on the couch for a few nights. LOL

http://med.stanford.edu/pedsanesthesia/downloads/ppmc_forms/patient_ed/sleep_hygiene.pdf

Since we were sleeping separately anyway (his insomnia, which wasn't as bad as mine, but enough to disturb me before I had insomnia) that wasn't a problem. :)

That list you sent me is the bare bones of what the Dr. at Stanford put me on!
As I said, mine was brutal but I persevered and after about 6 months I was sleeping much much better.

The list you found is certainly a good one to try for those with 'average' insomnia.

The electric light bulb is said to be the worst invention for good sleep. :rolleyes:

I placed an order with my local pharmacy for some groceries and otc medications and vitamins. They arrived after about 2 hours. They sent me Bayer Aspirin Brand of low dose daily use ASA, instead of the AC&C (ASA=acetylsalicylic acid=Canadian for aspirin, codeine, and caffeine). Ack! I had gone over that item several times.

I phoned and told them. They said the delivery wouldn't be very soon and might not be 'til tomorrow. I said our headaches were today. Okay, not soon, maybe two hours. Two hours is okay.

I still had 4 Kodimagnyl from a packet I bought in Denmark. Same idea, but no caffeine. I had to take two. That headache I have had in the background for several hours jumped to full fledged, in your face, foreground headache. They better get it right this time. They better not send me the ones with acetaminophen instead of ASA. I made that clear. Because, the ones with acetaminophen don't work on me. :glare:
Now that's interesting. Acetaminophen (aka paracetamol in the UK) doesn't work on me either but whenever I have to tell any medical personnel they laugh and say that of course it works.

The more I read of the health trials and tribulations that DC people have I thank goodness I'm as healthy as I am and don't have to rely on "serious" meds.

Hope all the Christmas invalids are feeling better now and prayers for Addie's daughter.

MadCook said:
"The more I read of the health trials and tribulations that DC people have I thank goodness I'm as healthy as I am and don't have to rely on "serious" meds."

That's very wise! Appreciate your good health because being involved in the medical communities teaches us we have to advocate for ourselves because doctors/hospitals don't always. It ain't pretty, what I could say here but won't.

Oh, and for those who do have great doctors-----they ARE around and you're lucky to have them.

I am a nurse and am beset by nurses who do not listen to the patient. It's maddening. Shrek is going to write on the backs of my hands, "No Needles" I have very good veins on both arms they can pick on and I'm happy to show them where they are.

I have no problem falling asleep. I am usually asleep in 5 minutes or less. But I wake up around 2-3AM and then I have a very difficult time falling back to sleep. For some reason, if I take Tylenol it helps me fall back to sleep. I don't know if it soothes minor aches and pain, but it just seems to relax me. I try to fall back to sleep without it because I don't want to take it every night. When I was in the hospital, they gave me Ambien to help me sleep, but I would still wake up around 3AM.

When I was in my 20's, I would fall asleep when my head hit the pillow and not wake up until the alarm clock woke me. The difference was that I slept alone back then. Sleeping with another person is hard, as if they toss and turn, you do too!

I have no problem falling asleep. I am usually asleep in 5 minutes or less. But I wake up around 2-3AM and then I have a very difficult time falling back to sleep. For some reason, if I take Tylenol it helps me fall back to sleep. I don't know if it soothes minor aches and pain, but it just seems to relax me. I try to fall back to sleep without it because I don't want to take it every night. When I was in the hospital, they gave me Ambien to help me sleep, but I would still wake up around 3AM.

When I was in my 20's, I would fall asleep when my head hit the pillow and not wake up until the alarm clock woke me. The difference was that I slept alone back then. Sleeping with another person is hard, as if they toss and turn, you do too!

The husband and I realized very early on that we were compatible in just about every way except sleeping. We were lucky to find a townhouse with two master bedrooms on the top floor. We both sleep very well now. We also have our own bathrooms so mine can be neat and his...

People seem really surprised that we have separate bedrooms, since we are so close. I think that it is the best thing for us. I felt terrible about it at first, because society says couples should sleep together, but I got over it!

People seem really surprised that we have separate bedrooms, since we are so close. I think that it is the best thing for us. I felt terrible about it at first, because society says couples should sleep together, but I got over it!

I would go for that but DH wouldn't. He's very traditional. When I was still working, I went to bed long before he did and that's when I got my best sleep, until he came to bed. I know many people who sleep separately but get along great otherwise.

A lot of older couple opt for twin beds. At first they are pushed together, then when the wife forgets to push them after making the beds in the morning, they seem to stay that way. And both are happy. :angel:

SO and I have slept in separate rooms for a few years now. I snore and she flops around like a fish in a boat so it's a good thing. We both sleep better this way.

That doesn't mean I sleep great, just better and with no guilt for keeping her awake.

Twin beds pushed together are OK because you don't feel it when your partner is moving around. We have a Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed and each side has it's own "mattress" so you don't get as much movement, but DH doesn't know how to stay on his own side.

Twin beds pushed together are OK because you don't feel it when your partner is moving around. We have a Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed and each side has it's own "mattress" so you don't get as much movement, but DH doesn't know how to stay on his own side.

We had an old auctioneer in our area and when he sold a pair of twin beds he would always say "Twin beds, what am I bid, one is as good as new!" :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Carol, I was advised some years ago by my doctor that the scenario of having no problems falling asleep at bed time but waking in the night and being unable to go back off is one of the symptoms of clinical depression. It might be worth mentioning it when you next have to see the quack. (I am not a medical professional - just repeating what I've been told.)

The husband and I realized very early on that we were compatible in just about every way except sleeping. We were lucky to find a townhouse with two master bedrooms on the top floor. We both sleep very well now. We also have our own bathrooms so mine can be neat and his...

It used to be (I don't know if it still is) that the upper classes always had separate bedrooms. Apparently, when it came out in society circles that Queen Victoria and Prince Albert shared a bed, they were thought very odd. (Not surprising she had 9 children - she obviously wasn't a straight-laced as "they" would like us to think:LOL:)

We had a king size bed. Then we moved into this house. The movers could not get the mattress up through the stairwell so they "folded" my king size mattress :ohmy:

The end result was a trashed mattress :(

So we went to replace it and decided on 2 extra long twin mattresses so they could go up the stairwell without being folded.

The result is astonishing. We no longer feel the other one tossing or getting out of bed. The mattress has held its shape in that there is zero sagging and it's been 5 years. I think it is because it is a smaller area. Anyway .. I wish we had done this years ago.

Sorry to hear about your sleeping woes .. my DH has the same problem .. it's tough to deal with.

Carol, I was advised some years ago by my doctor that the scenario of having no problems falling asleep at bed time but waking in the night and being unable to go back off is one of the symptoms of clinical depression. It might be worth mentioning it when you next have to see the quack. (I am not a medical professional - just repeating what I've been told.)

I've heard that also. But I want to caution people about getting a diagnosis of depression that will follow you everywhere. That 'depression' label could be latched on to by a doctor who isn't willing to look elsewhere for any reason for ANY symptom you have.

And some anti-depressant meds can be horridly resistant to being stopped. Sometimes almost impossible.

If a person has primary depression (vs secondary) then perhaps an anti-depressant is a good thing for them people. I won't comment on that. But here's the definition of 'depression'.

Symptoms
According to the American Psychiatric Associate's manual, the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders--Fourth Edition), a diagnosis of depression is made when "You have had an episode of depression lasting at least two weeks with at least five of the following symptoms: (1) You are depressed, sad, blue, tearful. (2) You have lost interest or pleasure in things you previously liked to do. (3) Your appetite is much less or much greater than usual and you have lost or gained weight. (4) You have a lot of trouble sleeping or sleep too much. (5) You are so agitated, restless, or slowed down that others have begun to notice. (6) You are tired and have no energy. (7) You feel worthless or excessively guilty about things you have done or not done. (8) You have trouble concentrating, thinking clearly, or making decisions. (9) You feel you would be better off dead or have thoughts about killing yourself."

Sorry for the buzz-kill just before a holiday----- and meaning no disrespect to people who pass on information about sleep and depression but think twice before letting a doctor hang the label of depression on you. Please.

I am on two blood thinners. As a result I am always cold in the winter. I have to have my apartment at 75ºF. Otherwise I am shivering. I realize that this temperature is high for a lot of folks. Spike included. So he shows up every night, and without my knowledge turns down the thermostat. I am going to kill that child of mine! I wake up and the temperature in my apartment has dropped to 69ºF. I am so cold I can't even get up to turn up the thermostat. Anyone want a 53 y.o. who can build or fix anything? He comes with a very cute Maltese.

Okay. Petty vent is over! :angel:

Addie----- my husband would come in from doing physical labor outside in the winter and turn the thermostat way down because 'it was too hot in here'. LOL

Words to be Banished from the Queen's English for Misuse.....

Words to be Banished from the Queen's English for Misuse, Overuse and General Uselessness

'Selfie' leads list of banished words for 2013

Michigan's Lake Superior State University.[...]consider pet peeves from everyday speech, as well as from the news, fields of education, technology, advertising, politics and more. A committee made a final cut in late December.

"Selfie" was first on the list.

Other words on this year's list include:

• Twerk/Twerking

• Hashtag

• Twittersphere

• Any word ending in -ageddon

• Obamacare

I'm a great fan of Edwin Newman, y'know. :cool:
Mr. Newman was right, y’know? | HoumaToday.com

Back
Top Bottom