Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lp, dc, bliss, and taxy, my heart goes out to you guys.

taxy, my mom spoke today of how her mom always hated mother's day since she lost her first child actually on that day. she never got over it. i'm glad to see you've come to find blessings in such a bad thing.

today wasn't such a good day in our house either as dw still misses her (deceased) mom something awful.

her mom felt the same near then end as your dad lp. we just had our son, and she had been very sick for many years. dw did a saint's job of taking care of her mom's every need literally for 2 decades, but once we had the baby, she felt she was too much of a burden and started to not take her array of meds, effectively ending her life.

all i can say is i would do anything to bring her back for just one moment to allow dw to be with her once more, and for me to tell her i loved her and to say goodbye. two things i mever got to do since i was watching the baby while dw was with her mom the last few days when she passed. i won't bother to tell of the anger i feel for my bil and sil, either of whom could have helped me out and watched the baby so i could go to the hospital for even just a minute to say goodbye. i hope i never see them again.

all lives come to an end, but while you have each other cherish every second no matter how difficult it is. the alternative is heartache and regret.

ok, well, except for cherishing shitty in laws.

Last edited:
Thanks, DcSaute and Taxlady, re my Dad's situation.

Taxlady, I totally understand regarding Mother's Day. I lost my Mom to Cancer 16 years ago and when she was alive we had a bit of a falling out. Her attitude about Mother's Day was quite the opposite. "If you can't love me and show it to me the other 364 days in the year, I don't want you making a big deal out of it on the one. It is just a way for card companies to make money".

Also, I never became a biological mother either (my condolences on your still birth). Then I took in a teenager when her parents "didn't want her around anymore" and she stayed with us on and off into her mid twenties. But she had a few issues and when she married and we took them both in, we ended up having to initiate tough-love and kick them out. She is expecting her second child soon, and while I have seen her with her first once, there is no chance for reconciliation. I do have hundreds of others who have called me "Mom" at times in their lives and I love them all dearly, but it isn't the same. So I do understand completely.

This year, with my Dad so sick, Mother's Day was even harder, but I got through it. A few of my Kids called or left emails or FaceBook notes wishing me a Happy Mother's Day which did help a lot.

I so totally agree with the words others have given you. You are a great person and we are who we are because of what has happened in our lives. It molds us and makes us stronger. Thank you so much for sharing.

Last edited:
this has been a grrrrrrr day. had everything out to make low calorie oatmeal cookies. opened the oatmeal. it was alive with pantry moths. opened second one, same thing. so scratched that idea.

my daughter left some curtains for me to shorten. searched a half an hour for the safety pin that she said was to mark what needed to be cut off. tiny little pin. by then sick of the curtains.

my order from target didn't come.

the mail sucked except for the calorie counting book i had ordered.

with all the delays, didn't get a single thing done, time to go to bed i think. sure hope tomorrow is a better day.

this has been a grrrrrrr day. had everything out to make low calorie oatmeal cookies. opened the oatmeal. it was alive with pantry moths. opened second one, same thing. so scratched that idea.

my daughter left some curtains for me to shorten. searched a half an hour for the safety pin that she said was to mark what needed to be cut off. tiny little pin. by then sick of the curtains.

with all the delays, didn't get a single thing done, time to go to bed i think. sure hope tomorrow is a better day.

Sounds like you got all the bad stuff out of the way today. Tomorrow should be smooth sailing.

Yep, time to reboot...tomorrow will be better. :winkiss:

According to the website this morning, today, May 11, is "Eat What You Want Day." Unfortunately, my morning will be spent at the dentist's office, getting prep work for another crown, replacing an ancient old molar filling. At my age (my favorite saying these days) I expect pieces to keep dropping off in the road as I travel along, but it's a nuisance (not to mention expensive) to fix and replace things.

According to the website this morning, today, May 11, is "Eat What You Want Day." Unfortunately, my morning will be spent at the dentist's office, getting prep work for another crown, replacing an ancient old molar filling. At my age (my favorite saying these days) I expect pieces to keep dropping off in the road as I travel along, but it's a nuisance (not to mention expensive) to fix and replace things.

It's true, they don't run specials on Titanium Parts...and then there's the recovery time. Now THAT's a "Lost Weekend."

It's true, they don't run specials on Titanium Parts...and then there's the recovery time. Now THAT's a "Lost Weekend."

Hey - didn't one of the news reports say that an attack dog present at the bin Laden deal had Titanium teeth? Wonder if I could get the name of his dentist.

I'll bet the Six Million Dollar Man's parts would cost him into the trillions these days.

Hey - didn't one of the news reports say that an attack dog present at the bin Laden deal had Titanium teeth? Wonder if I could get the name of his dentist.

I'll bet the Six Million Dollar Man's parts would cost him into the trillions these days.

Oh definitely! My teeny, tiny titanium part was $30,000. I'm not sure what a knee costs these days.:ermm:

Princess, I'm probably the only one who doesn't know what part; if it's not too personal, do you mind saying....? Inquiring minds (aka nosy rosies)...

Princess, I'm probably the only one who doesn't know what part; if it's not too personal, do you mind saying....? Inquiring minds (aka nosy rosies)...

Oh, sorry Lizzie...the stent in my heart, it's titanium. I had a heart attack in January. I'm good now, all fixed!

tinlizzie said:

Lizzie, I didn't know what part either! I appreciate your being the " nosey Rosie"
Because now I know too!

Btw, Fiona, I have a teeny tiny titanium part too! In the form of a screw in my knee.

What the heck? I called at the beginning of the month to pay on a medical bill for an ultrasound. We were a little short on cash at the time so I only paid $50. My bank account was charged for 7.41, then charged for 42.59. I thought it was strange, but figured it adds up to 50, so whatever. I called to pay the rest today. They said only $7.41 posted to my account. I told her that $42.59 had also been paid from my bank account to their company on the same day, which adds up to the $50 that they should have taken out. "Oh, we probably just have to give the second payment time to post to your account, but we can go ahead and take your payment for the rest." Is this woman crazy? I'm not giving them another dime until I see my full payment reflected! And what second payment? There only should have been one payment, for $50! Fine, lady, if your company wants to pay the charges for running 2 debit card payments instead of 1, go for it, but make sure they both post to my account. Thanks. Clearly someone processed the payment for the wrong amount and then processed another for the rest, but they both came out of my bank account on the same day, and the woman said the $7.41 posted to my account with them a week ago. I'm already angry that I'm paying this bill in the first place because the individual performing the procedure only performed a couple minutes before telling me she "couldn't find the baby." She performed half a procedure. I got charged full price. I challenged it, and they said that they don't charge partial cost for partial procedures, and too much of the procedure was done for me to not get charged at all. Is this standard for most medical establishments? It certainly wasn't the way we did things at the physical therapy office I worked at. Until this company shows me that they have at least one competent employee, they're not getting another cent.
Sorry, I know the woman I spoke to wasn't the one who made either of the mistakes, which is why I was polite to her on the phone. I just can't believe she expected me to still want to pay them more money before I know what happened to last money I paid.

The only piece of titanium (sp) I have is that which was taken out of Norman's knee--the Saint our group took in from "a well known Hollywood actress" who did not respond when we asked for a donation when that very expensive piece of metal had to be taken out his knee and replaced because the first surgeon used the wrong screws (I have those too). Do I need mention I had to have him crated/gated in my LR for 5 months--not an inconvenience to me to squinch around the crate when I wanted to get to the light switch... Let me think...yeah, total, it was $5K, but we did transfer the insurance she had on him to our group so we only had to pay it and wait a month to get 80% back. But there was about 15 hours/week of rehab (guess who had to do that). Give me all your unwanted dogs as gifts--right. I can do without those kinds of gifts.

What the heck? I called at the beginning of the month to pay on a medical bill for an ultrasound. We were a little short on cash at the time so I only paid $50. My bank account was charged for 7.41, then charged for 42.59. I thought it was strange, but figured it adds up to 50, so whatever. I called to pay the rest today. They said only $7.41 posted to my account. I told her that $42.59 had also been paid from my bank account to their company on the same day, which adds up to the $50 that they should have taken out. "Oh, we probably just have to give the second payment time to post to your account, but we can go ahead and take your payment for the rest." Is this woman crazy? I'm not giving them another dime until I see my full payment reflected! And what second payment? There only should have been one payment, for $50! Fine, lady, if your company wants to pay the charges for running 2 debit card payments instead of 1, go for it, but make sure they both post to my account. Thanks. Clearly someone processed the payment for the wrong amount and then processed another for the rest, but they both came out of my bank account on the same day, and the woman said the $7.41 posted to my account with them a week ago. I'm already angry that I'm paying this bill in the first place because the individual performing the procedure only performed a couple minutes before telling me she "couldn't find the baby." She performed half a procedure. I got charged full price. I challenged it, and they said that they don't charge partial cost for partial procedures, and too much of the procedure was done for me to not get charged at all. Is this standard for most medical establishments? It certainly wasn't the way we did things at the physical therapy office I worked at. Until this company shows me that they have at least one competent employee, they're not getting another cent.
Sorry, I know the woman I spoke to wasn't the one who made either of the mistakes, which is why I was polite to her on the phone. I just can't believe she expected me to still want to pay them more money before I know what happened to last money I paid.

I don't know how debit cards work in the US, but don't you have to enter your PIN every time they make a charge? You do in Canada. I would be concerned about how two payments were charged. In Canada it would mean that my card had been swiped, then I entered my PIN and then the whole procedure done again. Or, it would mean that someone had duplicated my card and stolen my PIN. :ohmy:

I'd have to swipe and enter my PIN for each...I don't even know how I'd ever use my card without me being present and swiping it...can that be done in Canada?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom