Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bummer! How badly was your car damaged?

Looks like the taillight, rear quarter panel and rear bumper. That's if nothing internal is damaged.

It's a car, nothing fancy so I'm not too upset about it. As long as it gets fixed I'm OK with that. It does bug me to see it banged up, since I try to take good care of it!

bakechef, i envy the compassion you have for a man who has just rammed your car. i am astounded at your ability to feel concern for the driver's job security before thinking of the sudden disruption of your life, the inconveniences of having to deal with your vehicle, insurance adjusters, etc., etc. if i ever cause an accident with my car, i can only hope that it is with someone like you, who is level-headed, understanding and treats me with kindness--someone to put the event quietly to rest in a 'petty vents' thread....

+1, well said, Vit!

And Addie, sure hope the Pirate feels better soon, and that you don't get what he has!

Last edited:
bakechef, i envy the compassion you have for a man who has just rammed your car. i am astounded at your ability to feel concern for the driver's job security before thinking of the sudden disruption to your own life, the inconvenience of having to deal with your vehicle, insurance adjusters, etc., etc. if i ever cause an accident with my car, i can only hope that it is with someone like you, who is level-headed, understanding and treats me with kindness--someone to put the event quietly to rest in a 'petty vents' thread....

Thanks, yeah it's kind of a pain to deal with, but life happens, I can't see putting myself or him through more stress, it's just not healthy.

To me it's a car, an appliance. Yeah it's my second biggest possession after my house, but as long as I'm made whole I'm OK with that.

Now if the adjusters try to give me issues, I WILL cause them stress ;) Luckily my neighbor sells insurance and one of my best friends is a former adjuster, so I won't be completely in the dark.

@Bakechef

"I feel bad for anyone that drives for a living and has an accident. I guess that if his accelerator got stuck that it was better to happen here when there was nobody around than having it happen at the school as he was dropping off kids!"

That is such a kind attitude to have! Some people, probably even myself, would have cussed first----- THEN thought what you did.

+1, well said, Vit!

And Addie, sure hope the Pirate feels better soon, and that you don't get what he has!

I am the one who always takes care of the ones with the flu. For some strange reason I just don't get it. Never have. I don't even get the flu shot. The Pirate is resting mostly. :angel:

Well, after finishing the vacation laundry, it is obvious that DH needs to be much more closely monitored when he packs. No man needs 15 tshirts, 8 pairs of shorts, 7 swim trunks, 3 polo shirts, and 3 pairs of shoes. For a 12 day tropical vacation. And he didn't even wear most of the stuff. No wonder the suitcase was so heavy! My "hers" laundry pile was about 1/4th the height of the "his" laundry pile.

From now on, he will be limited to a small rollaboard, we will only check the bag with the snorkel equipment.

Last edited:
Well, after finishing the vacation laundry, it is obvious that DH needs to be much more closely monitored when he packs. No man needs 15 tshirts, 8 pairs of shorts, 7 swim trunks, 3 polo shirts, and 3 pairs of shoes. For a 12 day tropical vacation. And he didn't even wear most of the stuff. No wonder the suitcase was so heavy! My "hers" laundry pile was about 1/4th the height of the "his" laundry pile.

From now on, he will be limited to a small rollaboard, we will only check the bag with the snorkel equipment.

It's usually the opposite--- the woman takes everything she owns and the man doesn't even remember the toothbrush.

I read something once about how to pack/plan for a vacation.
Take half the amount of clothes and twice the amount of money. :LOL:

It's usually the opposite--- the woman takes everything she owns and the man doesn't even remember the toothbrush.

I read something once about how to pack/plan for a vacation.
Take half the amount of clothes and twice the amount of money. :LOL:

:LOL: DH is quite the clothes horse, 15 gray t shirts....he claims he's gotten better at packing over the years....

We go on a tropical vacation every year. We started out with my taking a garment bag ans SO taking two suitcases, one of which was the size of Rhode Island. Over the years I got her to cut down to one suitcase and then to a smaller size. I still get a request occasionally to carry something in my garment bag for her. I heard her on the phone last night telling her girlfriend she brings clothes home that she never wore.

DH's packing has gotten ridiculous, thankfully, I carry a little scale to weigh the suitcases, and they were both just under 50 pounds. Airport scales are not regularily calibrated, and often overweigh, to the tune of charging folks an extra 100 bucks if over 50. In which case, many gray t shirts would have had to be left behind.

I buy dishsoap, and use it to wash out clothing in our hotel so I don't take as much stuff. There are also perfectly good laundromats near where we stay.

I want to get us to the point of only needing the rollaboards, except for the snorkel equipment and skins.

Last edited:
We rarely fly. The last time was for two weeks to CA; Himself had a one-week class through work, then he took a week's vacation so we could explore. When he said I could take two suitcases and they couldn't weigh more than 50 pounds I thought he meant for the both of them! I managed to get two weeks of stuff (including three down pillows) into those two full-size suitcases for a total of 68 pound! Started to week stuff out, then he said it was 50# per suitcase. I was golden.

Now when we travel (we almost always drive) I still take two suitcases - two carry-on size! I do use a suit bag (like what the tailor sends your suit home in) to carry my tops on hangers, but if push came to shove I could get them into the small bags. And I do wear every item of clothing that I take. ;)

DH's packing has gotten ridiculous, thankfully, I carry a little scale to weigh the suitcases, and they were both just under 50 pounds. Airport scales are not regularily calibrated, and often overweigh, to the tune of charging folks an extra 100 bucks if over 50. In which case, many gray t shirts would have had to be left behind.

I buy dishsoap, and use it to wash out clothing in our hotel so I don't take as much stuff. There are also perfectly good laundromats near where we stay.

I want to get us to the point of only needing the rollaboards, except for the snorkel equipment and skins.

We've gotten to the point where we pack less and less every time. For a week we can pack one medium suitcase to share, and each have a backpack. If we aren't flying we sometimes each bring a suitcase, just for the extra room.

A couple years ago we went to Disney, we took my car. 4 adults in a compact car, and all our luggage! We each packed a duffle bag and a backpack. Our friends each had a suitcase. On the trip home after being there a week, the trunk was full to the point that when you opened it, the contents were the exact shape of the trunk lid :LOL: After we left to head to FL, my friend, who suggested that I drive (he didn't want to drive all the way to FL after already driving from PA) thought "why didn't we just use my small SUV and have Michael drive?" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I never take much when I go on a trip, but I pack a folding nylon duffle bag.

I always manage to bring home twice as much stuff as I take! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

One small suitcase for me and a carry-on with my meds. Anywhere I have gone, there has always been a washing machine available. Either at my host's home or Laundromat. I bring enough changes for three days with extra undies. My bottoms are tights that I can get two days wear out of. Two nightgowns, one housecoat or bathrobe. The majority of my clothing is wrinkle free cotton. I have found that most of my hosts don't even own an iron. (I'd be lost without mine.) I have often thought a nice gift to bring with me for them would be an iron. :angel:

I pack for the Apocalypse, every time. Who knows but where we are going doesn't have TP and shampoo.

In hindsight, I should have run out the front door holding my neck, :LOL: It might have lightened up the mood!

You should have run out and sat in the car, and had someone snap a picture. Ever hear when there's an accident involving a bus, a bunch of people get on the wrecked bus so they can file a claim.

Here we go again. The temp is 12ºF. and the furnace is constantly running on high.

Remember that patience I was looking for? Well there must be a leak somewhere. The Pirate has a waste basket right next to him. Looks like I am going to have to teach him how to use it. Just how long does this flu last? :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom