"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #3101
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Mosquitoes love to bite me. I eat a fair amount of garlic and not a lot of sweets. I have tried making sure to eat plenty of garlic every day and it didn't help. Stirling is obese and doesn't eat a lot of sweets. He enjoys his garlic too and they bite him even more than they bite me.

Mosquitoes like me so much that friends like walking with me in mosquito areas because they get bitten less.
I'm the same! Garlic doesn't keep them off me either. What I do find useful is Oil of Citronella. I buy it at the pharmacy and dab it on behind my ears, on my hands and on my ankles and the smell keeps them away. It smells nice too. It even worked in Kenya and Menorca. (One evening in Menorca, before I discovered it the citronella, I was bitten 154 times on one lower leg and 40 times on the other!)

Old 07-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #3102
Chef Extraordinaire

I can't remember the last time I had a mosquito bite. And I don't do anything to prevent them from biting. Maybe living in the city has its advantages. I do know that aloe gel is great for the bites when you do get them. Poo used to get eaten alive when we lived in Hawaii. We had a giant aloe plant right outside the door and I would break off the tip of a spike and squeeze the gel out. It would stop the itch instantly and also helped in clearing up the infected ones.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #3103
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
It was my response to the talk about why spelling is so bad now. That's TwitterSpeak.

Twitter Dictionary: A Guide to Understanding Twitter Lingo - Webopedia.com
A couple of people I send text messages to think it's hilarious that I punctuate my texts, use capital letters where necessary and don't abbreviate. It's a matter of principle
Old 07-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #3104
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
A couple of people I send text messages to think it's hilarious that I punctuate my texts, use capital letters where necessary and don't abbreviate. It's a matter of principle
Fortunately for a lot of members here, spelling is off the table. As long as the message gets across. My problem is the wrong keys keep jumping under the wrong fingers. We all have a special talent. Math is not one of my talents. Not even close. But I am the one that others will ask on how to spell a word. I am just above so-so on grammar.

I keep a blank word document on minimize. If I am not sure of the spelling, I will bring the blank page up, spell the word the way I think it is and then hit F7. If it is in the Microsoft dictionary, it will give me the right spelling. If not, then I find another word I am sure of.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #3105
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I do too.

It's easy with predictive typing. You just have to proof read before posting. Since I haven't taught my phone any of the internet slang, it's actually harder to use it than to type real words.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #3106
Master Chef

Quote:
I do too.

It's easy with predictive typing. You just have to proof read before posting. Since I haven't taught my phone any of the internet slang, it's actually harder to use it than to type real words.
Boy, is that the truth! I can't believe some of the words predictive text wants to use. My daughters have gotten a good laugh over some of mine that I hadn't proofed. LOL
Old 07-02-2014, 12:00 AM   #3107
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Boy, is that the truth! I can't believe some of the words predictive text wants to use. My daughters have gotten a good laugh over some of mine that I hadn't proofed. LOL
Some of them can be pretty funny. The 35 Funniest AutoCorrect Fails EVER. I'm Crying From Laughing So Hard!! Be forewarned, some of it is kinda raunchy, but it's hilarious. Sometime when you are bored, Google autocorrect fails.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:24 AM   #3108
Chef Extraordinaire

This afternoon we had serious internet connectivity problems. It seems that Time Warner had a problem in New York, so all the traffic was being re-routed and overloaded our paths to the internet. My mobile carrier didn't seem affected, or at any rate less. I thought I would USB tether my phone and laptop and connect the laptop that way.

Well, it worked for about two minutes and then my stupid laptop couldn't see the USB connection. I tried to get Windows help, but guess what? The help is online. What the heck are they thinking? I need help to get online, so I'm offered help that is only available to me if I can get online.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #3109
Master Chef

Quote:
Some of them can be pretty funny. The 35 Funniest AutoCorrect Fails EVER. I'm Crying From Laughing So Hard!! Be forewarned, some of it is kinda raunchy, but it's hilarious. Sometime when you are bored, Google autocorrect fails.
Those were hilarious!!
Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #3110
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm about dead from laughing...Shrek had to yell at me to breathe.