"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #3121
Executive Chef

I had to change my phone settings because my SIL's name is Sean but my phone wouldn't let me type it. It kept changing it to Dean. Even if I went back and corrected it, it still changed it to Dean. Is there any way to override it?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #3122
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I had to change my phone settings because my SIL's name is Sean but my phone wouldn't let me type it. It kept changing it to Dean. Even if I went back and corrected it, it still changed it to Dean. Is there any way to override it?
What kind of phone? iPhone, Android, Windows, Blackberry, ...?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #3123
Executive Chef

Addie, ever since my heart surgery DH has been doing the vacuuming even though I CAN do it now. If he leaves this earth before I do I am getting a Roomba. And a 4-door car. And I'm going to turn the setting down on the air condition so I can wear summer clothes in the summer. And turn the heat down in the winter so I can wear winter clothes in the winter. I'm sure I could think of a few other things.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #3124
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Just use the initials SIL.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #3125
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I mentioned to The Pirate about why I named mine Rosie. He informed me that I was fortunate I didn't get one from the Flintstone era. Where would I store a dinosaur? Plus I am not fond of the name Dino!
Old 07-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #3126
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have deleted some of those types of words from my phone's history. I also purchased an inexpensive app that learns my typing patterns so the prediction improves over time.
GG, where did you find the app that learns your typing pattern? I could use that myself.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #3127
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
GG, where did you find the app that learns your typing pattern? I could use that myself.

The Google Play Store. It's called SwiftKey.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #3128
Senior Cook

Thank you. I'll look it up later.

cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #3129
Master Chef

We came back from our very nice visit with our kids back in Ohio and found a central air conditioning system that didn't want to cool. Since we've had to have tiny leaks fixed and a freon charge done three years ago we weren't surprised. Just sad thinking it could cost a ton. Or three, since our system is a 3-ton. Turns out that our technician now had a new weapon to seal leaks, but the increase in cost for the no-longer-made older freon still made it cost $275. Basically the cost of 3 nights in a cool hotel room. With temps in the upper 80s yesterday, it was money well-spent.

AND, true to form, the weather has now taken a change. We'll be having moderating temps and dryer weather through the weekend. *sigh* At least we'll save on the electricity costs, only to start using the A/C again by Monday. At least it will work!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #3130
Master Chef

We're having our old central ac system replaced and our contractor insists on replacing them (2 sets of units) with ones which use the older r22 freon. I know they're getting phased out but he gave me a list of reasons why the old freon is better and many ac contractors prefer this.
By law, new units with r22 are no longer made but apparently new r22 units without freon are available for sale. According to my contractor, they're called dry units and r22 freon is pumped into the unit upon installation and this is legal.