"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #3131
Master Chef

So many rules and loopholes! All we're interested in is limping the system on until we sell the house. Maybe next year. If a New England native buys it, there's a good chance they won't care if they have functioning A/C or not. These people come from tough stock! Me, I like to be comfortable. As Himself will attest, I have a "comfort zone" of about 2 degrees. And don't hand me a glass of iced beverage or an ice cream treat in the summer without expecting me to reach for the blanket.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #3132
Executive Chef

I'm so tired of being accosted by kids, begging for money for sports teams. They set up right outside the grocery store with their parents. At least the Girl Scouts sell something to earn money. It seems like these kids are being trained as the next generation of handout recipients and not trained that anything worthwhile is worth working for.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #3133
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
So many rules and loopholes! All we're interested in is limping the system on until we sell the house. Maybe next year. If a New England native buys it, there's a good chance they won't care if they have functioning A/C or not. These people come from tough stock! Me, I like to be comfortable. As Himself will attest, I have a "comfort zone" of about 2 degrees. And don't hand me a glass of iced beverage or an ice cream treat in the summer without expecting me to reach for the blanket.
I thank you for the compliment. But you folks from OH have nothing to be ashamed of. You have those winds and snows coming in off the lakes.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #3134
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I'm so tired of being accosted by kids, begging for money for sports teams. They set up right outside the grocery store with their parents. At least the Girl Scouts sell something to earn money. It seems like these kids are being trained as the next generation of handout recipients and not trained that anything worthwhile is worth working for.
The ones that get me are those that stand on the median strip and when the light turns red, they all but throw themselves on top of your car. BTW my granddaughter told me a little secret. The never allow their can to get even half full. They will rattle the can with just a few coins in it so you will feel guilty thinking they are not doing to well and grab all that change you toss in that cup for tolls, etc.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #3135
Master Chef

I had the opportunity to make some sorority group earn their money. They were camped in front of one of our local supermarkets on a cold, January night, trying to raise money, as they do every year, for the 4th of July fireworks display. I told them that I would give them $10, but that they would have to earn it. They eyed me suspiciously, and rightly so. I proceeded to pull my blues harmonica from a pocket and play a little blues riff. You know the one - da daaa da dun, rest, rest, da daaa da dun. I then told them they would have to improvise blues lyrics on the spot to earn the $10 bucks. Of course there were young, universtiy age guys hanging around (where there's one, you always find the other) who loved the plan, and joined with me in getting them to improvise some lyrics. One of the girls, all red faced finally submitted to our request and gave it a valiant effort. Her blues lyrics include subject matter about how cold it was, that they were freezing, and being forced to sing in public. It was a hoot. Everyone was laughing when it was over. That was a good time.

Had DW been there, I never could have gotten away with such behavior. But when I told her about it, she laughed.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #3136
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I managed to cut a small hunk out of my finger last night while chopping veggies, and the dang thing still hasn't stopped bleeding. In hindsight, I probably should have skipped the baby aspirin this morning. Thankfully I have a good supply of bandaids.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #3137
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I managed to cut a small hunk out of my finger last night while chopping veggies, and the dang thing still hasn't stopped bleeding. In hindsight, I probably should have skipped the baby aspirin this morning. Thankfully I have a good supply of bandaids.
Super Glue is your friend. I've stopped bleeding more than once with the stuff.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #3138
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Super Glue is your friend. I've stopped bleeding more than once with the stuff.

I've used Super Glue on cuts, but this is a hole about the size of a small bb. No skin to pull over it. Would it still work?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #3139
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yikes Dawg! Don't have done that. I hope it heals up quickly.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #3140
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yikes Dawg! Don't have done that. I hope it heals up quickly.

I know! And DH had just sharpened the knives. I must have nicked an artery.