"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #3131
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,247
So many rules and loopholes! All we're interested in is limping the system on until we sell the house. Maybe next year. If a New England native buys it, there's a good chance they won't care if they have functioning A/C or not. These people come from tough stock! Me, I like to be comfortable. As Himself will attest, I have a "comfort zone" of about 2 degrees. And don't hand me a glass of iced beverage or an ice cream treat in the summer without expecting me to reach for the blanket.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #3132
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,777
I'm so tired of being accosted by kids, begging for money for sports teams. They set up right outside the grocery store with their parents. At least the Girl Scouts sell something to earn money. It seems like these kids are being trained as the next generation of handout recipients and not trained that anything worthwhile is worth working for.
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #3133
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
So many rules and loopholes! All we're interested in is limping the system on until we sell the house. Maybe next year. If a New England native buys it, there's a good chance they won't care if they have functioning A/C or not. These people come from tough stock! Me, I like to be comfortable. As Himself will attest, I have a "comfort zone" of about 2 degrees. And don't hand me a glass of iced beverage or an ice cream treat in the summer without expecting me to reach for the blanket.
I thank you for the compliment. But you folks from OH have nothing to be ashamed of. You have those winds and snows coming in off the lakes.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #3134
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I'm so tired of being accosted by kids, begging for money for sports teams. They set up right outside the grocery store with their parents. At least the Girl Scouts sell something to earn money. It seems like these kids are being trained as the next generation of handout recipients and not trained that anything worthwhile is worth working for.
The ones that get me are those that stand on the median strip and when the light turns red, they all but throw themselves on top of your car. BTW my granddaughter told me a little secret. The never allow their can to get even half full. They will rattle the can with just a few coins in it so you will feel guilty thinking they are not doing to well and grab all that change you toss in that cup for tolls, etc.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #3135
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
I had the opportunity to make some sorority group earn their money. They were camped in front of one of our local supermarkets on a cold, January night, trying to raise money, as they do every year, for the 4th of July fireworks display. I told them that I would give them $10, but that they would have to earn it. They eyed me suspiciously, and rightly so. I proceeded to pull my blues harmonica from a pocket and play a little blues riff. You know the one - da daaa da dun, rest, rest, da daaa da dun. I then told them they would have to improvise blues lyrics on the spot to earn the $10 bucks. Of course there were young, universtiy age guys hanging around (where there's one, you always find the other) who loved the plan, and joined with me in getting them to improvise some lyrics. One of the girls, all red faced finally submitted to our request and gave it a valiant effort. Her blues lyrics include subject matter about how cold it was, that they were freezing, and being forced to sing in public. It was a hoot. Everyone was laughing when it was over. That was a good time.

Had DW been there, I never could have gotten away with such behavior. But when I told her about it, she laughed.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #3136
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,093
I managed to cut a small hunk out of my finger last night while chopping veggies, and the dang thing still hasn't stopped bleeding. In hindsight, I probably should have skipped the baby aspirin this morning. Thankfully I have a good supply of bandaids.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #3137
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I managed to cut a small hunk out of my finger last night while chopping veggies, and the dang thing still hasn't stopped bleeding. In hindsight, I probably should have skipped the baby aspirin this morning. Thankfully I have a good supply of bandaids.
Super Glue is your friend. I've stopped bleeding more than once with the stuff.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #3138
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Super Glue is your friend. I've stopped bleeding more than once with the stuff.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've used Super Glue on cuts, but this is a hole about the size of a small bb. No skin to pull over it. Would it still work?
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #3139
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yikes Dawg! Don't have done that. I hope it heals up quickly.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #3140
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yikes Dawg! Don't have done that. I hope it heals up quickly.

I know! And DH had just sharpened the knives. I must have nicked an artery.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.