Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The chemo is playing all kinds of tricks on her mind. It doesn't allow her to handle stress very well. So I can only try to make it easier for her. I just wish her daughter would step up.

Hopefully, in February she goes for her next MRI and we are hoping the chemo will stop. She has been on it for more than a year.

This is the second time we have been through this. Her husband was in stage four with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and given about three to four weeks to live at the time they found it. He beat the odds. He is more than a five year survivor. And now her. Will she make it, won't she make it. I feel like each day I am plucking the petals of a daisy flower. Most of the days I make it through the day without breaking down. Some days I don't. She will only see my side of strength. Never see me break down. When my youngest daughter was murdered, she was my strength. She protected me through the wake and funeral. Now I have to be hers. She is only 53 and my first born.

She has two children. Her oldest is a son and can't do enough for her. Her daughter is a piece of crap. My daughter and her husband have closed the cash register drawer. Go to work and earn your own money. Want to finish school? Take out student loans. She handed my daughter a list of what she wants for her birthday at the end of January. Her father snatched it and handed it right back to her and told her to have fun shopping. She knows better than to act up in my presence.

So I just keep plugging away each day and try to keep a positive outlook. All the swelling in her brain from the surgery has finally gone down after more than 18 months. And now they can see that what is left of the tumor is finally shrinking. My biggest worry is I know what the final prognosis is. Only five percent with this type of brain cancer live beyond two years and even less more than five years. Come February, it will be determined after her MRI as to whether she will remain on chemo for the rest of her life or come off it.

So now you know why I put an angel at the end of every post I make. It is for her. One can never have too many angels looking down on them and protecting them. And you will notice that a lot of folks here in the forum post one also. To them, I give an eternal Thanks. :angel:
How terrible for both you and your daughter. Prayers and healing thoughts on the way.

....yesterday's appointment never happened. When I called Winthrop, they informed me that they never got the notice......And to tell the truth, I hate going to Winthrop just for my vitals. I am there for just 15 minutes. How long can it take for your temp, weight, oxygen level and BP? Then I am out of there and on my way back home. It is when I have to go for my six month checkup that I am there for all day.....
I don't understand why they don't use visiting nurses to go to the homes of the elderly for these monthly vitals checks. A friend of mine worked for VNA for years starting in the mid-1990s in St. Louis, then in Phoenix, going out to the elderly doing just this thing. Mary Jeanne LOVED her job visiting all her "aunts" and "uncles", because her regulars became close like family to her (she's a really good, but now retired, nurse). You would think with all the claims of the Boston area's outstanding medical services they would have something like this operational ages ago. Maybe you need to start rattling cages Addie, and be a little activist on this for yourself and all your fellow senior citizens. You could wage your war right from you computer. Probably declare yourself a non-profit and write off all "expenses". ;)

I don't understand why they don't use visiting nurses to go to the homes of the elderly for these monthly vitals checks. A friend of mine worked for VNA for years starting in the mid-1990s in St. Louis, then in Phoenix, going out to the elderly doing just this thing. Mary Jeanne LOVED her job visiting all her "aunts" and "uncles", because her regulars became close like family to her (she's a really good, but now retired, nurse). You would think with all the claims of the Boston area's outstanding medical services they would have something like this operational ages ago. Maybe you need to start rattling cages Addie, and be a little activist on this for yourself and all your fellow senior citizens. You could wage your war right from you computer. Probably declare yourself a non-profit and write off all "expenses". ;)

They do have a nurse that goes into the homes. But by having the patient go to the facility, it keeps the patient active and gets them out of their home and into a setting whereby they have to interact with others. It helps keep the amount of elderly depression down. I have the 24 hour number to call for the nurse if I think I need her. I have used the number a couple of time. Once when I had the Noro Virus. I didn't want to go into Winthrop and infect everyone there. As it turned out they were having their own outbreak and closed the facility. The visiting nurse earned her paycheck for the next two weeks. They also have Aides that go into the homes of wheelchair patients. They help them to get ready for bed and up in the morning everyday. We have two such patents in this building. They also give them showers, help the men to shave, etc. But those patients also are picked up by van and go to Winthrop at least two times a week to keep their minds active. :angel:

Sounds like they need someone who just runs the window. Again, they can't fix it if they don't know it's broken. Maybe they need three people to do the front counter work. The person's making appointments and arranging transportation don't need the other distractions.

I agree with PF about reporting it---- it can be done in a non-confrontational way (although I would find that hard to do, myself!).

And although I also agree with PF about them needing 3 people at the desk----in this day of 'down-sizing' (sometimes called greed) that may not happen.

Of all the places that don't need down-sizing it's in a hospital or clinic----- but it happens all the time.

They do have a nurse that goes into the homes. But by having the patient go to the facility, it keeps the patient active and gets them out of their home and into a setting whereby they have to interact with others...
That's a valid point. I guess I figure most seniors are like you and our other older members: tech active, busy with kids, etc. I can't judge all seniors by the fun group of older posters we have here at DC. Heck, in a handful of years I'LL be one of those "older" posters! Then again, by the time I hit 70 I may have moved the stick up on what is older...;)

Are you a great granny or just a granny, Cave??? CG is a mommy only, unless she counts the twins fur babies.

Thanks for all the encouraging words...it really helped. Sometimes you just need to hear it....even if it's from someone you've never met. Thanks for the compliments on my table..I was proud of it...I'd probably be a pretty good gay guy, if I didn't like women so much. :) Mom says someday I'll make some woman a really good wife. :)
:LOL:
You're funny on the top of it too.

My mum was very displeased when I referred to my cats as her grandchildren. My sister, on the other hand, is perfectly happy to be the auntie of cats.
Neither kid is married and it doesn't look likely in the near future. I'm old-fashioned so I really don't want the kids going solo as a parent. I'm purrfectly happy with the two furry grandkits and our one grandturtle. You have to take them as you can get them. ;)

My mum was very displeased when I referred to my cats as her grandchildren. My sister, on the other hand, is perfectly happy to be the auntie of cats.

Oh no! I am sorry, Taxy. If I ever marry and adopt children, and they choose not to have their human babies but to have cats and dogs I will be their Nonna!

I'll also be Nonna to any and all their pets; ferrets, snakes, lizards, fish, spiders, cats, dogs, chickens, roosters, and any other precious creatures they wish to have.

I may have issues handling certain creatures, but you get the idea, yes?

My Mamma calls my cats, Misty and Kali, and my dog, Azia, her grandhairballs and she is their Nonna. Mamma loves them!

Pets are so wonderful!

With love,
~Cat

I am Grandma, The Pirate is uncle, my grandson is brother and all the other family young folks are cousins to Teddy. :angel:

I think CWS and PF are perfect examples of being a mother to their babies. CWS has names for her chickie babies. And we hear about Latte all the time. I don't think I want to know anyone who doesn't have a love affair with family members of the animal kingdom. :angel:

Are you a great granny or just a granny, Cave??? CG is a mommy only, unless she counts the twins fur babies.

I'm a 'granny' but old enough to be a great-granny if and when my (human) step-grand-children decide to have children.

I was 'Mommy' to so many pets through the years I can't count them.

Neither kid is married and it doesn't look likely in the near future. I'm old-fashioned so I really don't want the kids going solo as a parent. I'm purrfectly happy with the two furry grandkits and our one grandturtle. You have to take them as you can get them. ;)

A grandturtle! Cool! I'm Great Granny to Corgies...

I'm a 'granny' but old enough to be a great-granny if and when my (human) step-grand-children decide to have children.

I was 'Mommy' to so many pets through the years I can't count them.

Yes, I am waiting for the Grands to give me Greats. Mommy and Auntie to many human and animal. It's fun. Mother to none.

A grandturtle! Cool! I'm Great Granny to Corgies...
Love Corgies. My Mom got an older one after my Dad died. After Dad died his favorite "rescue" dog died. Monday was rescued from the corner bar. :LOL: One day when Dad went up for a beer one of the guys had a dog he was trying to find a home for so Dad brought him home. Told my Mom the dog followed him. And yes, this all happened on a Monday.

Our daughter Loverly had four turtles at one time. Eventually keeping that 55-gallon tank clean for four became too much work, so she found a pond with the same species of turtles and released three of them. The fourth is a more exotic kind and she felt it best to keep that one. Turtles are cute, but nowhere near as cuddly as cats. ;)

Back
Top Bottom