"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2014, 12:43 AM   #3161
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Any extra super glue wears off. An urban myth has Super Glue as originally a surgical glue for skin. Shrek swears by it. I prefer bandages and pressure.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #3162
Chef Extraordinaire

Like most males on construction jobs, when Spike gets a finger cut, he wraps black electrical tape around his wounded fingers. I cringe when I see that. Sometimes I have threatened to sit on him if he doesn't let me put on a clean sterile dressing.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #3163
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Like most males on construction jobs, when Spike gets a finger cut, he wraps black electrical tape around his wounded fingers. I cringe when I see that. Sometimes I have threatened to sit on him if he doesn't let me put on a clean sterile dressing.
When I was cutting wood for a living, and had seriously burned my right shin, I used to put sterile gauze on it, and then put my leg into a clean bread wrapper to keep the dirt out. Then, painful as it was, I was out in the woods again, either cutting trees, or bucking them into 8 foot lengths, then cutting into 18 inch chunks that I split with an 8 lb mall. Never got an infection, and as I had no insurance at the time, no skin grafts. To this day, if I gently bump that shin, the skin breaks and turns into a sore. It scabs over and heals in a few days.

Funny how 30 seconds of time can change your whole life. If you ever get flammable liquids on your clothing, remove it as soon as possible. Nobody should have to endure the months of pain that I did. Though I haven't delivered a baby from this body, I can't imagine that the pain is any more intense than the pain from that burn, and definitely didn't last as long.

In any case, I brought home the family income. Not working was not an option. I did what I had to do.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #3164
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was living in Hawaii, Poo was with his father for Christmas day. So I went down the street to the Shriners Burn Center for Children and read to the kids that couldn't get out of bed. I have a strong stomach, but not for the courage those kids had, some with 80% burns on their bodies. I had to go into the bathroom and vomit a couple of times. They kept a lot of them sedated most of the time. Specially come dressing changing time.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #3165
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yikes Chief! Those burns sound awful. Good thing you never got infections from them. I guess that bag must have been loose. It's really risky to keep air away from a burn that has even a tiny break in the skin. The risk is an anaerobic infection.

You wrote, "I was out in the woods again, either cutting trees, or bucking them into 8 foot lengths,..." Does that mean you were using a bow saw?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #3166
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
My Grandfather used to use a spider web to stop bleeding in small cuts.

He just twirled his cut finger in the web and instant bandage.

He still had ten fingers when he died so I guess it didn't hurt him any!
That's a very old traditional carpenter's trick. They sometimes put honey on too as it deters bacteria
Old 07-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #3167
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Those would be handy to have. I don't understand the super glue fix...doesn't it leave a 'ridge' type thing on the skin...? Or does it get absorbed after a while? Just curious.
Superglue melts in hot water (at least the stuff we get does)
Old 07-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #3168
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yikes Chief! Those burns sound awful. Good thing you never got infections from them. I guess that bag must have been loose. It's really risky to keep air away from a burn that has even a tiny break in the skin. The risk is an anaerobic infection.

You wrote, "I was out in the woods again, either cutting trees, or bucking them into 8 foot lengths,..." Does that mean you were using a bow saw?
Naw. That's just what the guy I was working with called it. I used a chain saw on that job. I cut and split 10 chords of tamarack fire wood. Years later I tried splitting wood with that same mall. Three or four strokes and I was huffing and puffing, but other than for splitting wood, was still in pretty good shape. The difference, when I did it all day long, for weeks, I was 26 years of age. When I did it years later, I was in my late 40's.

Slitting wood with a mall is not something to be taken lightly. It is both aerobic and body building at the same time. It's no wonder that lumberjacks had such a reputation back before chain saws, and hydraulic wood splitters. It was real work. I used to do it with ease. Now, I don't think I could lift the splitting mall (well, I can still lift and swing it, just not for very long),

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #3169
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm on 2 daily baby aspirin, along with the Dutoprol for high blood pressure. A friend almost bled out, he was on Coumadin, and one of his cats scratched him.
My grandmother was on coumadin for the longest time. She would have to go have her clotting factor checked every month.

And speaking of blood thinners, when mom was in the hospital they were giving her preventative doses of heparin so she wouldn't develop blood clots. Her nurses said there were studies that it helped with all bed-bound patients and not just post-surgical patients.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #3170
Master Chef

Smart...alecks.