"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #3171
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Where? Where????

Old 07-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #3172
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Smart...alecks.
They're all around us.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #3173
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I saw a skunk in my backyard the other night. It snuffled about and then started to dig. It was trying to get under the patio stone where Shreddy (my recently deceased 18 year old cat) is buried. I found another hole today. I packed both holes with dirt. I'll see if it happens again.

If I do, I'll start peeing in a can and use that as skunk repellent.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #3174
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't pay attention to how many minutes I was using on my free cell phone. I get 250 minutes each month for free. As a rule I will buy 250 more for just $5.00. I forgot to buy the extra minutes and today when I went to use my phone, I had no minutes left. (STUPID ME!) Since this is my only phone (I got rid of the land line) I need to make sure I always have enough for a 911 call. I know, they can be made even if I don't have any minutes. But I feel a lot better knowing that I have minutes to spare.

So I go to purchase more minutes. I got so lost. They needed my pin number. Since Spike is the one who set it up for me at the beginning, he knew my pin number. I am sure he told me what it was but I forgot. Very simple. My pin number is my date of birth. DUH! So you all can feel safe tonight. I have the market on STUPIDITY all to myself. Spike set up a folder for me with my pin number and other passwords. Now I won't have to go around scratching my head with my mouth hanging open and drooling.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #3175
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I saw a skunk in my backyard the other night. It snuffled about and then started to dig. It was trying to get under the patio stone where Shreddy (my recently deceased 18 year old cat) is buried. I found another hole today. I packed both holes with dirt. I'll see if it happens again.

If I do, I'll start peeing in a can and use that as skunk repellent.
Moth balls will work also. At one house we lived in, a family of skunks set up housekeeping under our front porch. Every time someone went out the front door, they would spray. We tossed some moth balls under the porch and they hastened to find new digs.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #3176
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I didn't pay attention to how many minutes I was using on my free cell phone. I get 250 minutes each month for free. As a rule I will buy 250 more for just $5.00. I forgot to buy the extra minutes and today when I went to use my phone, I had no minutes left. (STUPID ME!) Since this is my only phone (I got rid of the land line) I need to make sure I always have enough for a 911 call. I know, they can be made even if I don't have any minutes. But I feel a lot better knowing that I have minutes to spare.

So I go to purchase more minutes. I got so lost. They needed my pin number. Since Spike is the one who set it up for me at the beginning, he knew my pin number. I am sure he told me what it was but I forgot. Very simple. My pin number is my date of birth. DUH! So you all can feel safe tonight. I have the market on STUPIDITY all to myself. Spike set up a folder for me with my pin number and other passwords. Now I won't have to go around scratching my head with my mouth hanging open and drooling.
Is that a physical folder or a folder in the directory on your computer?

If it is on your computer, then it is possible for someone to hack into your computer while you are on the internet and get your passwords.

I use Password Safe to store all my passwords. It's encrypted. I only need to remember one strong password - the one that lets me see the passwords and user names in Password Safe. Maybe Spike can install it for you and show you how to use it.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:57 PM   #3177
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Moth balls will work also. At one house we lived in, a family of skunks set up housekeeping under our front porch. Every time someone went out the front door, they would spray. We tossed some moth balls under the porch and they hastened to find new digs.
Mothballs are carcinogenic. I am not putting them in my yard. I don't spray pesticides or herbicides either.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 PM   #3178
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is that a physical folder or a folder in the directory on your computer?

If it is on your computer, then it is possible for someone to hack into your computer while you are on the internet and get your passwords.

I use Password Safe to store all my passwords. It's encrypted. I only need to remember one strong password - the one that lets me see the passwords and user names in Password Safe. Maybe Spike can install it for you and show you how to use it.
It is on my computer. I will tell him about it tomorrow night when he comes tomorrow night. Thanks for the information and the angel.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #3179
Chef Extraordinaire

Today there are two new holes and one of the two I filled in has been re-excavated.

I'm starting to save pee. I am also starting to save the hair from my comb. I have read skunks don't like human hair.

Anybody know any other harmless skunk deterrents?
Old 07-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #3180
Head Chef

Ironically enough, a peeve of mine is those that always complain and never balance this by noticing something positive, e.g. to be grateful for. There are always those so much worse off than us.

Currently a tenant here is persistently irate by my front garden straying on to the communal path by a few inches. She calls them weeds but they are beautiful wild flowers and not obstructing anything (the path is wide). I find it pathetic that this should matter to her but the bottom line is
really that she dislikes these wild flowers. If that is all she has to worry about her life must be great! I said she could cut them back if this is such a problem to her.

She is normally so pleasant and easy going - it's puzzling. I don't regard these flowers as unsightly. To me, it highlights conditioning. Anything wild she probably sees as weeds and therefore not to be appreciated if you cannot buy it. How sad is that? Hollyhocks grow wild and are delightful.