"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #311
Chef Extraordinaire

I too love my doctor. No matter what my complaint, he will take an hour if necessary to make sure I am happy at the end. He is definitely a patients advocate.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #312
Sous Chef

Click image for larger version

Name:	579323_4795962863703_916133813_n.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	16103

I don't WANT to go to school! I want to go back to bed - or at least have the hope of a massage at the end of the day. Neither is happening. I got another new student 30 minutes before school was out yesterday. All I know about him is his first name. Today I have kids until 12:30. Then parent conferences start at 1 and go until 7. Sometime today I'm supposed to get my van out of the shop & return my fancy rental. Don't know that that will happen either.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #313
Master Chef

Darn it I hate ironing! Would rather scrubs toilets without gloves I hate it so much!!!!
Thank goodness I'm done.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #314
Certified Pretend Chef

As a retired corporate finance guy, I grew up on spreadsheets, they were my life. I started with Lotus 1-2-3 and graduated to Excel. I still use them today for everything from managing financial info to tracking medications, comparing recipes.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #315
Master Chef

I think we've got rats, just heard something in the ceiling. That would explain the little black specks on my kitchen floors every morning. Must be rat droppings! I wasn't sure, I'm as blind as a bat. All I have to do to have an affair is remove my glasses lol!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #316
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
As a retired corporate finance guy, I grew up on spreadsheets, they were my life. I started with Lotus 1-2-3 and graduated to Excel. I still use them today for everything from managing financial info to tracking medications, comparing recipes.

Not quite sure how this becomes a petty vent there Andy. I look at using speadsheets as an extension of my brain. I keep several sheets/ categories that are simply lists as references rather than expecting them to perform any other tasks. Although, a simple grocery list can be alpha- ordered or dated.

As a single guy, it is not worthwhile to run up to Costco frequently. I add to my Costco list until it does. I can also Date when/ how many coffee cans or somesuch I need to buy or plan to have on hand until my next trip. Right now I have 9 items on an Asian market shopping list. My goal is to have 10 things and make an out of way trip in that direction. I suppose adding Bok Choy would do it, but I think that's cheating.

I read a lot of blogs and many topics. More than I care to book mark as faves. I keep them on a spreadsheet. Excel will go past the www's and alphabetize them. I date these too, per when I last read one. Then I don't have to guess how far back I'm reading and can stop at the last time I looked at one or if it's a decently organized blog, pick up where I left off and read to the present. I can keep separate sub-groups, same page, for specialty blogs, such as BBQ blogs or forums.

I think spreadsheets can be useful for more than number crunching.

The only thing they don't tell me is to Stop Sitting at the computer and get up and vaccuum out the cold air / floor registers. I don't need a reminder that now that its cooler the furnace might run more efficiently if there was less cat hair and dust circulating.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #317
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Whiskadoodle, it's because we were talking about spreadsheets earlier in this thread. You know we have a hard time staying on topic.

BTW, do you have a smartphone? A lot of us are using an app called "Our Groceries" for shopping lists. It's very nifty. If you want, I'll find the link.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #318
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Not quite sure how this becomes a petty vent there Andy. I look at using speadsheets as an extension of my brain...

My bad for not quoting the earlier post on the topic.

I have no issue with Excel at all. It's a fantastic and flexible tool.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #319
Executive Chef

I guess I missed reading a page. Reminder to put Clean Glasses on the short list.

Thanks for the App offer. I don't have a cell phone. The one that still cracks me up, is when I see guys, mostly, at the store and they are talking and asking should I get the 12 oz or 16 oz size or this brand or that brand. Guess they don't have smart phones yet either.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #320
Executive Chef

if you were shorted on a prescription drug, and if that drug was vicoden, would you think it was a deliberate steal, or an honest mistake? then, if you were shorted on another prescription medication in the same exact way, what would be your thinking then? if you knew it was the pharmacist himself/herself that filled both rxes, would that change your perspective? if changing drug stores was not an option, what if anything would you do in order to make sure of a correct count in your future prescriptions?